Raleigh round up

romec

Well it seems like we are entering another "slow period" as far as announcements/developments downtown aside from the major on-going projects. (Is this a cyclical thing? I remember a lack of news going on last summer)

So I have a list of questions and just random thoughts. Feel free to answer, guess or just randomly comment.

Do we have a replacement for the DRA president yet?

Mystery 20 story residential project (any more info yet?)

Mystery headquarters being courted? (I remember a story early this year or maybe last year talking about Raleigh competing for 3 relocations.) I assume RBC was one and remember seeing that we lost out on another, but anyone know the other company, or the identity of the company we lost out on?

News and Observer needing more space and moving/building somewhere else downtown?

When will the next Flash Raleigh picture thread come (Atl and Chi were great by the way! after seeing Chicago I have only 1 question, can I be your photography apprentice)?

Progress has laid off recently (voluntary) and is asking for a rate increase, does this spell bad things for them and in turn momentum in downtown?

Dawson should be completely done, Paramount soon. How is demand doing?

Now a little more speculative

RBC eh, Suntrust is the wave of the future?

We offered the CIAA a hall of fame, will we do the same for the MEAC, or still off the CIAA hall of fame (we actually have enough member schools here ot do it regardless of where they play the tourney)

Raleigh Aquarium? I know I just randomly said something about an aquarium about 2 years ago in an SSP thread, but I saw a possible aquarium mentioned in the DDC plan. Any hope of this happening or is that just a dream? Wonder if the funding is even feasible with all the public projects going on now.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh Aquarium? I know I just randomly said something about an aquarium about 2 years ago in an SSP thread, but I saw a possible aquarium mentioned in the DDC plan.  Any hope of this happening or is that just a dream? Wonder if the funding is even feasible with all the public projects going on now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not going to happen. Based on public opinion at the workshop meetings, I expect the entire Dix property to be set aside as a "Big Field" with no improved interconnectivity or facilities of any sort, and used by nobody. Because apparently, that's exactly what we need close to downtown: nebulously defined "open space" dotted with disused office buildings.

I can only hope that the state, city, and consultants won't give in to the whims of a few vocal, uncompromising preservationists.

The Dawson is open for residents. From the looks of it, there are quite a few people already living there. The parking lot looks about 25 - 30% occupied. I hope they put something besides restaurants on the ground floor. It seems all the new bldgs. in dt have 1 or more restaurants. They should take a cue from the new Progress Energy bldg which does have restaurants, but they also have Iatria Day Spa, which I think is a great addition to dt.

Archived