6. Pensacola. Fla.-Ala. $4,181 $2.281

7. Indianapolis, Ind. $4,151 $2.335

8. San Francisco-Oakland $4,149 $2.699

9. Raleigh-Durham, N.C. $4,117 $2.252

10. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana $4,091 $2.610

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am suprised LA is not any higher up on the list. And I did not see San Diego. I used to live out there and it seems like I NEVER ran into anyone who commuted less than 1 hr each way. Now granted, they were stuck in traffic a good portion of the time, but that takes a toll on your gas consumption as well. I would be interested in seeing how exactly they came up with these numbers.

I believe that Orlando's high ranking is not representative of the city's true character, as the average gas price noted in the study is most likely inflated by the outrageously priced gas stations near the attractions. I would imagine that hardly any locals would use these stations to fill up for their commute. Perhaps if these tourist petrol stations were not considered, we could get the average gas price for our area to drop to around $2.15 per gallon and we would drop out of the top 10 (spending $4053 per year).

Regardless if our gas price was inflated by a few stray gas stations, I think it is very plausible for Orlando to rank high on this list. I'm sure there are a number of people who work in Orlando and live in metro Tampa, Lakeland, Daytona, and Titusville/Cocoa. These are reaally long commutes by themselves and then you have to figure out how bad traffic in our city is.

Archived