Tallest Skyscraper in the USA will be Southern

monsoon

Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Miami
    • Other City (please explain)
    • Chicago & NYC will always have the nations tallest

The South has become the most economically powerful region of the USA. Businesses and people continue to re-locate here from the other regions at a dizzying rate so it is just a matter of time before the tallest building in the USA is constructed in the South.

(currently, America's tallest is the Sears tower in Chicago, ironically Sears has been trumped by Southern retailers and no longer occupies the tower)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The South has become the most economically powerful region of the USA.  Businesses and people continue to re-locate here from the other regions at a dizzying rate so it is just a matter of time before the tallest building in the USA is constructed in the South. 

(currently, America's tallest is the Sears tower in Chicago, ironically Sears has been trumped by Southern retailers and no longer occupies the tower)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sincerely believe that the next mega structure will come from one of the top banks. More than likely BofA. They are all about pride. I chose Charlotte (since I am biased), but believe Atlanta could get it if office vacany's improve in their CBD.

Hmmm....I voted Miami, but now I've changed my mind. I don't think the FAA would allow something over 1,776 feet (the height of the Freedom Tower whenever they get around to building it).

Only Atlanta or Houston are pretentious enough to build something that big for the sake of it......the banks here in Charlotte have become much more conservative than they once were.

I think eventually the south may get the nationals tallest, but I think for the forseeable future (20 years) I expect the talles to rename in NYC/Chicago. In a post 9/11 area, companies and developers appears more conservative (though this is slowly starting to change), and Miami the only southern city I think really has the density to demand a building of that height (and that's even a stretch... it's even a bit of a stretch in cities like NYC and Chicago to feel that they have to build that tall), I don't see it any time soon. I further get the feeling this isn't likely to happen because much of the current construction boom is residential, not office. Although a mixed used tower (becoming more popular) is a possbility, I think the demand and vacancy for office space would need to be the motivation, not residential.

I can't see Charlotte wanting to/needing to building anything taller than BofA's headquarters.

If it happens in the South, I'd say Atlanta or one of the Texas cities.

I think the tallest buildings will always be in NYC or Chicago, in my lifetime anyways.

The South could build one, but as soon as it broke ground, a developer in Chicago would be already desiging one a foot taller.

NYC. I dont see any southern cities going that high. And honestly I hope NYC keeps that bragging right. Its one of the greatest cities in the world and certainly the greatest in the US. If it continues to grow and prosper its like a slap in the face of terrorists. We should all be proud of NY and what a symbol it is around the world for the US.

NYC.  I dont see any southern cities going that high.  And honestly I hope NYC keeps that bragging right.  Its one of the greatest cities in the world and certainly the greatest in the US.  If it continues to grow and prosper its like a slap in the face of terrorists.  We should all be proud of NY and what a symbol it is around the world for the US.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

could not agree more. I think the US (as a whole) should boast about NYC. This will always be America's city and her Skyline. I love the South. I Love Chicago. Heck, I even like ATL :P But NYC will always be in our hearts and mind as a leader. (be honest) WE ALL LOVE NYC :wub:

could not agree more. I think the US (as a whole) should boast about NYC. This will always be America's city and her Skyline. I love the South. I Love Chicago. Heck, I even like ATL :P But NYC will always be in our hearts and mind as a leader. (be honest) WE ALL LOVE NYC  :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't like nyc...i kinda hate it :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is sad to hear. :cry:

I don't like many things about a lot of places including NYC. But, my likes overshadow any dislikes. NYC is truly an Urban Mecca.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Imagine what they think about you! Hate is a strong word. Make sure you mean it because you may just have to eat those words someday. I question your motive in your statement.

Chicago and NYC will always be the home of the largest skylines in the USA. The populations and pride of those two cities will not allow a smaller city to surpass them. Once Freedom Tower is built I doubt anyone will go any higher than that because it is not really needed in the USA. Sure Dubai is building something bigger, but there is not really much else around that area. That one building is essentially a one stop shop for everything and the USA doesn't really need a building like that. While I would love to see the largest building go up in Charlotte, I am too much of a realist to ever believe that will be the case...

Insert joke about phallic symbols here. When there are some cities in the south with the population density to justify such a "big one" then it will happen. Yes, there has been a lot of national leveling to balance the wealth and the south has benefited greatly from this but you're focus should be on sustainable growth and dropping the dependence on cars. From what I hear the "large" cities of the south are county-sized in square miles due to annexation of surrounding areas (this inflates the "growth" statistics, doesn't it?) and is heavily car-oriented. I'm happy for the prosperity that has made it's way to the area but I hope the cities' focuses are more on how to keep it in order rather than who's is biggest. I hope I'm not coming off as offensive, I just think that the south has bigger issues to deal with than tower envy.

Insert joke about phallic symbols here.  When there are some cities in the south with the population density to justify such a "big one" then it will happen.  Yes, there has been a lot of national leveling to balance the wealth and the south has benefited greatly from this but you're focus should be on sustainable growth and dropping the dependence on cars.  From what I hear the "large" cities of the south are county-sized in square miles due to annexation of surrounding areas (this inflates the "growth" statistics, doesn't it?) and is heavily car-oriented.  I'm happy for the prosperity that has made it's way to the area but I hope the cities' focuses are more on how to keep it in order rather than who's is biggest.  I hope I'm not coming off as offensive, I just think that the south has bigger issues to deal with than tower envy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TRANSIT comes to mind. That is why the northern cities developed so nicely.

From what I hear the "large" cities of the south are county-sized in square miles due to annexation of surrounding areas (this inflates the "growth" statistics, doesn't it?) and is heavily car-oriented.  I'm happy for the prosperity that has made it's way to the area but I hope the cities' focuses are more on how to keep it in order rather than who's is biggest.  I hope I'm not coming off as offensive, I just think that the south has bigger issues to deal with than tower envy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you are coming off as offensive. Should we compare to the large cities up north like NYC, Chicago and Detroit? I'm sure they never had to annex.

Can you name one reason why annexing and county mergers are bad? You really think these cities expand the service base so they can look good to census geeks? That's silly talk. By all accounts annexations and mergers are some of the best things a city can do to encourage downtown growth and implement transit options.

There's too much available land and not enough demand for a mega-tall tower anywhere but NYC or Chicago at this point and probably in the next 20 years or so. A tower that tall would have to be economically viable, something that could only be the case in those cities in the foreseeable future.

Yes, you are coming off as offensive. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on now. He is not being offensive. Somehow you took it offensively because you wanted to. It's not bad to say that southern cities have probably reached their peak under their current development plans. Heck, to be fair, I'll bet current gas prices are effecting southern families disproportionately hard because they are so much more dependent on the automobile. In the end, that's what will hurt cities that are overly car dependant and little public transit (Many nothern cities are guilty of that too, you know.). All that's being said here is that annexation is being used to inflate numbers. That's all.

RiversideGator: Yeah, we did hear about Brooklyn. We also heard that they have a massive transit system, high density and city services. That's not what's occurring today. I don't think you can compare New York's annexation of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island (all of which were full blown cities by the time they merged except Staten Island.) with Louisville's annexation of Fairdale, Jeffersontown, Middletown and St. Matthews (all of which are very small suburbs).

Hopefully all of these places that have merged will be able to leverage it to their advantage in the future.

I do find it a little annoying for Yankees to be lecturing us on sprawl when the primary reason that Northern cities are dense is that they got big before the advent of the car. Portland, OR is the only city who can claim to have gone in a different direction. And, considering that New Yorkers invented sprawl with Levittown, this argument is especially grating. Pretty much every city in America has massive sprawl these days - this is not really a regional issue.

I do find it a little annoying for Yankees to be lecturing us on sprawl when the primary reason that Northern cities are dense is that they got big before the advent of the car.  Portland, OR is the only city who can claim to have gone in a different direction.  And, considering that New Yorkers invented sprawl with Levittown, this argument is especially grating.  Pretty much every city in America has massive sprawl these days - this is not really a regional issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yankees - How mature. It's that type of talk that makes people think less of the South, you know. You really need to get that chip off your shoulder. I can see you don't like this designation, but everyone knows that the South is the epitomy of sprawl these days. You not liking it pointed out doesn't change that fact. No one said the north hasn't sprawled either. I believe I made that point in my last post. No one is lecturing you, you're just defensive. There's no need for that. We're all friends here. Aren't we all concerned about urban topics?

Archived