Tallest Skyscraper in the USA will be Southern

monsoon

Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Miami
    • Other City (please explain)
    • Chicago & NYC will always have the nations tallest

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I am missing something, but the proposed Freedom Tower project has been rejected.  No one knows what will be built there now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"A new design for the Freedom Tower is required," Pataki said, citing security concerns raised in recent weeks by the New York Police Department.

Certain details, such as the 1,776-foot height and the 276-foot spire, are expected to remain, according to an official familiar with the plan.

"The building itself, except for the first 150 to 200 vertical feet, will be the same," said Charles Gargano, vice chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the land.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/04/wtc.rebuilding/

True, but don't forget the Texas cities- it's all about ego there too. If I had to choose one of these cities it would beith either Texas city simply because they would do it out of arrogance and not necessity.

It's true almost everywhere. Even many of the overseas towers are about ego, not demand.

If I had to pick I would say that New York and Chicago will always have the tallest in the nation. As far as a southern city, I feel that Miami will eventually have the tallest.....taking the title from current holder Atlanta.

The south's current tallest is already under proposal in Miami now.

I don't particularly want Atlanta to have the tallest. I would like for Atlanta to maybe have another 1000 footer but I would be much more happy to see more density and dense continuality from the CBD to Midtown.

There's too much available land and not enough demand for a mega-tall tower anywhere but NYC or Chicago at this point and probably in the next 20 years or so.  A tower that tall would have to be economically viable, something that could only be the case in those cities in the foreseeable future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No land available in Illinois?? Have you ever been there? Chicago has more flat land to sprawl in to than any other city in the US. It's surrounded on three sides by uninhabited midwestern flat nothingness! Many southern cities are contained by geographical restrictions and are actually harder to grow!

The big skyscrapers built in ATL and Charlotte were built in the 90s (and still are being built) and lack of density didnt seem to stop them.  This is the silliest argument I have heard you make on here, KRC.  Why dont you return to your flaccid New England forum?  I guess because there isnt much to talk about there in terms of real development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, go back and read what I wrote. I believe I said it USED to be that way, but not any longer. Why should I just stay in New England when my second house is in Florida? I believe this forum suits me just fine, thank you.

KRC & Riversidegator, you both really need to stop pissing on each other.  Try to at least act your age in terms of showing some respect to the others here.  :( 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have to admit, they have been entertaining to read ^_^ ... but you're right, there are ways to intellectually debate, not just piss each other off.

So what does annexation have to do with that?  If Atlanta were able to annex some of their suburbs, they'd have more control over growth, and easier time building mass transit and less competition for development dollars.  Why did you both point to annexation as a negative when it's got nothing at all to do with the subject at hand?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you talking about my agreement with KRC? I never said anything negative about annexation...I actually think Atlanta should have annexed more because now it can't. Anyway, I just wanted clarification. I've already put in my view of the skyscraper situation... B)

In my opinion.....I think the USA's tallest skyscrapers are gonna stay in NYC & Chicago for maybe a decade, or so, longer. If the USA's tallest skyscraper is gonna head South.....it would have to be built in either Houston or Miami. Atlanta has a slim chance b/c of its surging popularity right now. But overall, I think Atlanta's dominance won't be enough to push pass Houston or Miami for the tallest skyscrpaer in the USA.

• 1 month later...

Just a head's up Wachovia is moving to build a substantial tower on the South end of CLT. I know that there is specualation of them outdoing their current HQ in CLT and even rumors of them surpassing the BofA tower. I know that it will not be the height of the Sears Tower or even the Empire State building, but it stands to reason a nice size tower is taking shape on the S Tryon in dtwn CLT. Regardless of the final height the tower WILL be constructed and will be completed by 2008. Construction is slated to begin early 06'. If the city goes forward with a funding mechinism to house Wake Forest's MBA program and arts package (The Betchler), then the tower will be VERY tall coupled with a nice residential tower. If not, Wachovia WILL still move forward with another skraper, probably the size of Three Wachovia. I am holding my breath for something in the 55-75 story range. :sick:

A2

*BTW, I work with WB and can tell you that this IS NOT a proposal or a might be tower. THIS tower IS going up and construction is soon to begin (within 6-9 months). I work right across from the site and am REAL excited about this one. I would love to see a 900' to 1100' foot tower go up as the Corporate HQ address for WB.

B)

Just a head's up Wachovia is proposing a substantial tower on the South end of CLT. I know that there is specualation of them outdoing their current HQ in CLT and even rumors of them surpassing the BofA tower. I know that it will not be the height of the Sears Tower or even the Empire State building, but it stands to reason a nice size tower is taking shape on the S Tryon in dtwn CLT. Regardless of the final height the tower WILL be constructed and will be completed by 2008. Construction is slated to begin early 06'. If the city goes forward with a funding mechinism to house Wake Forest's MBA program and arts package (The Betchler), then the tower will be VERY tall coupled with a nice residential tower. If not, Wachovia WILL still move forward with another skraper, probably the size of Three Wachovia. I am holding my breath for something in the 55-75 story range.  :sick:

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. And then I suppose BofA would have to regain the crown. :)

That would be nice DALE. It is the competition between the banks and their shear PRIDE that built the CLT skyline. If they want to hammer it out by saying "mine is bigger than yours" :P , than that will be fine by me. :D

A2

I'd be surprised, but, it's not out of the realm of possibility that New Orleans will rival this hypothesis one day. We've got serious talk of a tower over 950 feet right now, and who knows what the next decade or twenty years hold?!? We can only go up....New Orleans bears watching. It's compressed enough that it could surprise people as growth to New Orleans is returning....

I'm really late to this thread. Why have I missed this one? Who knows....

I would like to say that upon reading the various post, I would like to clear up one notion. Cities do not build skyscrapers....developers+demand build skyscrapers. It's not just density that will dictate a need for a skyscraper. If that was the case then Atlanta would not currently have the south's tallest skyscrapper. Now that we understand that cities do not build skyscrapers, I would have to say that the cities with the greatest chance of getting the next tallest in the south are alphabetically listed as:

Atlanta

Charlotte

Dallas

Houston

Miami

Why do I say these cities and not others. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas and Houston all that high growth, F100's located in their metros. In order for a financial company to justify a $500 million loan for a 1100' building, there would have to be a serious anchor for such a building. A F100-200 is most likely to have such a workforce and or need to fill such a building. Skyscrapers aren't built just because a city wants one. It would be very risky to build a 1,000,000+ sq ft building without having a high demand. Right now only the four aforementioned cities have corporations that could have such a demand.

I will say this however.....there is still resistance to going really tall for the sake of going tall.

I added Miami because unlike all the other cities listed above, there is not as much space to branch out. The Everglades to the west and the Atlantic to the east plus extremely high demand for residential living could spur a developer to go really tall and surpass the 1023' BOA tower in Atlanta. I will say this though, having read many a real estate articles, there is a point where a building can become too tall and it increases inconvenience for the residents. Currently 75 storys is that level where convenience begins to diminish....if I remember correctly.

Charlotte could also get a really tall condo tower as well. From me studying their market, it seems that they are doing their best to concentrate tall condos in town. This could push up land prices and have either one of two outcomes. Either developers will build taller to recoup more of their investment or they will begin to build shorter further out. They have the population growth and concentration of intown building to dictate a supertall.

As far as mixed use towers, I will be truthful....anyone can call any developer to verify my words. Mixed use towers are the hardest towers to get financing for. For some reason banks don't fully like the numbers when it comes to mixed use. It's easier to build an all office, all hotel or all residential building than it is to build a mixed use. Normally developers are coming more out of their reserves to buld mixed use which increases the risk. There had better to strong fundamentals for such a gamble. If done before demand or demand never comes then that could spell financial disaster.

If your city was left off, please do not feel slighted. I'm really trying to be as fair and realistic as I possibly can. We all would like for everyone to have a nice tall skyscraper but realistically what we want is not always what we get. There has to be a high demand for really tall structures. They are more expensive upfront to build. If demand is not there then it's not going to happen. Some could say "what about Walmart?" Well from my understanding of the Walmart culture cultivated by the venerable Sam Walton, it's not it's corporate culture to want to be flashy. I think out of respect for Mr Walton, there will be strong resistance for such a tall structure for years to come.

That's just my take on the matter. I know I'm going to get an ear full for leaving off some cities.

I think Houston has the luck to have the tallest tower. I believe the tallest in the south now is in Houston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta's BOA tower (1,023 Ft) is slightly taller than Houston's JP Morgan Chase building (1,002 Ft). Then again a lot of the BOA tower is a spire.

Archived