Tallest Skyscraper in the USA will be Southern

monsoon

Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Miami
    • Other City (please explain)
    • Chicago & NYC will always have the nations tallest

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis is Number One for Cargo.

Here ya' go:

http://www.a2a.aero/stats_traffic.cfm#WORL...20TOTAL%20CARGO

Best site I can find. It is for 03' though. I am sure not much has changed since then. Check out the last poll on the link. Very Intesting as Atlanta falls quite far behind Chicago in TOTAL transport movements.

A2

BTW, check out the site a2a.aero. How Ironic :P

yes, despite being a hub for Northwest airlines, Memphis is a rather mediocre-sized passenger airport, but freight is a totally different story. you should see the seemingly endless rows of FedEx planes at the airport at night. looks like a massive airplane dealership.

What is truly amazing is the fact that ATL ranked 22nd on the TOTAL CARGO movement. I know UPS does a ton of business out of Hartfield. I find that really hard to believe. I think these statistics are extremely interesting and to be honest I am glad I found the site.

One thing to point out from a Charlotte perspective, is the fact that RDU (Raleigh's airprot) is not on ONE of the lists, but everytime Airport Forcasts are given for NC, they ALWAYS list RDU over CLT enen though CLT is listed as 15th in the world for Total Movement. Hmmmmm. I am not saying CLT's airport is all of that, but it is definately a HUB and definately listed as one of the World's busiest in terms of total movement and transport.

A2

Another thing that Southern Foromers should all be pleased with is that on every one of the polls the South is represented VERY WELL.

From the list these cities are listed as some of the busiest in the world.

Orlando

Miami

Atlanta

Charlotte

Memphis

Houston

Dallas-Ft Worth

In all but International freight and passengers the South is listed at least 4 or 5 times for the TOP 30 !!!

Miami pulled their weight though for the International flights, for obvious reasons.

That is astounding when you think about it. B)

A2

Okay, I give it to qwertycc. I made that post in between dealing with a very difficult seller. :wacko: I have not had the time to check all the sites about airports. I will at a later time. All I was regurgitating back was the information that says Hartfield-Jackson is the world's busiest airport....not the largest as Plasticman had said. But that's neither here nor there taking that I'm not from Chicago and was not trying to take anything from Memphis by mentioning O'Hare... :blush: FedEx does do alot for the airport in Memphis.

Also, I'm sure one of you all can find this information out for me but UPS is headquartered in Atlanta but I don't think their major freight distribution center is out of Atlanta.

BTW, I checked the http://www.a2a.aero/stats_traffic.cfm#WORL...20TOTAL%20CARGO site. Very interesting information.

Anyway..............

What about the skyscrapers A2.....since that was the main point I was trying to make. Read what I said in the first part of my post that started this barage of airport information. You mention vacancy rates often when speaking of Atlanta. Would not the fact that so many office structures are under construction, proposed or approved show you that apprently vacancy rates aren't always as telling as actual development.

As I have said earlier on this thread....alot of Atlanta's vacancy rate has to do with companies hopscotching around town. As long as there are major prescence of companies in Atlanta, there will be office development. This also could bode well for a new tallest....companies want it and developers give it. With or without low office vacancies. The devlopers don't concern themselves with office vacancies in some markets anyway. Many of Atlanta's buildings are bought buy REITs in a few years thereby relieveing developers of the financial burden.

I'll only restating this because you did feel the need to stress Atlanta's office vacancy. ;)

Nevermind A2.......you don't have to respond hun. After thinking about this and reviewing all the this city v/s that city threads, I think I will concentrate more on the Atlanta section. My main concern is really to get information about development in Atlanta..............and Florida.

I think every city in the south has a chance for a new tallest in the SE.

Nevermind A2.......you don't have to respond hun. After thinking about this and reviewing all the this city v/s that city threads, I think I will concentrate more on the Atlanta section. My main concern is really to get information about development in Atlanta..............and Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LC I try not to be hatin' on the ATL. I love the diversity and the big city. I support all the Broker's in ATL as a wholesaler of investments for a certain bank here in Chalrotte. I was just trying to start a small debate for when I get bored here at the office :D .

I am in Atlanta once a quarter (at least) on business and for family. I used to live there for a while near Sandy Springs.

I still think that all in all ATL will continue to build REGARDLESS of the Vacany rate, since it in one of the Largest spec markets in the US. My point is to suggest that to build the tallest would require some tenent to really want that space. I think there have only been a handfull of buildings built in the entire US that were over 1000' on PURE SPEC. I think the last was the US bank tower in LA. monsoon and atlrvr has mentioned that somewhere.

I still hope you will frequent both the Southern Forum and the Charlotte forum too. I love to get your insight. You are one of the most logical posters on the boards. :)

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true. Look at RSA Battlehouse in Mobile. Mobile is not a huge metro area and is getting a building that would be impressive in any city.

Yankees - How mature.  It's that type of talk that makes people think less of the South, you know.  You really need to get that chip off your shoulder.  I can see you don't like this designation, but everyone knows that the South is the epitomy of sprawl these days.  You not liking it pointed out doesn't change that fact.  No one said the north hasn't sprawled either.  I believe I made that point in my last post.  No one is lecturing you, you're just defensive.  There's no need for that.  We're all friends here.  Aren't we all concerned about urban topics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me say one thing from a southern point. I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 4 years before I decided to move back to the southeast and lived in California for 17 years before that. The west coast is so much more sprawled than the Southeast cities...by far. From the east side of Phoenix to the extreme west side of development is a fine line and is almost 50 miles across. How many cities in the southeast are @ 1.5 MM city limits and have no skyscraper above 500'. The neighborhoods out west build large and the homes very close together but it may be a mile or so between neighborhoods. Last I heard is that the Southeast is by far the most populated area of the country now....so why wouldn't we have the biggest most sprawled cities. Now for the "Yankee" comment. My girl friend being from Akron,OH calls herself a Damn yankee all the time. she is proud of it. The terminology comes from the days of the new country...there were the British & the Yankee's ...If you think about it if you are an american and not british with a long line from this country then we are all yankee's.Why doesn't anybody think about the New York Yankee's name and get offended about that. You don't see any pro teams in the south calling there team the redneck's or the rebels. I am from North Carolina originally and for years the question was how is Aunt Bee and Barney...I am grown up enough to leave it be as we are all one now...Peace

The next tallest "Building" in N America is going to be in Chicago. It was recently announced. It will be taller than Sears. But the REAL tallest building inthe world is the CN Tower in Toronto. For some reason it is classified as a free standing structure but it IS a building and nothing else comes close to its height yet.

At 2,063 ft The KVLY-TV mast near Mayville, North Dakota tops the CN tower but it's guided.  The CN tower isn't habitable and that's why it gets excluded.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the CN tower is habitable. I think it has over 50,000 sf of useable space over half of which is in the tower. The tower has shops and restaurants and offices as well has observation decks. It IS a building. It is not just a radio antenna

FYI:

Charlotte is the 6th Largest Distribution and Wholesale center in the US. Bigger than even Atlanta.

The city's wholesale sales volume places Charlotte sixth on the list of U.S. markets, behind only New York, Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas and Chicago

We do more in wholesale trade than Banking. Many people think of CLT as just a banking center when, in fact, it is not even the largest segment of our economy.

Being a commerce hub has NOTHING to do with the height of buildings in a city.

I know vacancies have little to do with why a developer builds TALL SIGNATURE Towers, but it does need to be stressed that Atlanta,GA has the highest vacancies of ANY other city in the US.

http://www.expansionmanagement.com/smo/Doc...ncy%20Rates.pdf

That is both tier one and tier 2 cities. Now, don't get me wrong, I think ATL could easily be one of the contenders for the next tower of great height, but sometimes the numbers  can't be overlooked. A developer has to consider material facts such as vacancies to even consider building such a structure. Remember they have to make $$$$ in the deal too.  B) As for CLT's vacancies, they are some of the best in the US. Actually last I checked we were in the Top 3 with Metros over 1M.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The high vacancy you mention is for the entire metro which has been on the downside of an economic cycle related to the high tech bust and 9/11. Its not like those vacancy rates will remain constant. That cycle has begun to turn around and is expected to accelerate in the coming years.

The wholesale sales volume number seems like a narrow and fairly useless stat in(wholesale ONLY as opposed to retail or some other type of distribution). What is the source of this btw.

From Grubb & Ellis the size of the two industrial markets, which include distribution centers, are not comparable (417 vs 107 million sf).

http://www.grubb-ellis.com/pritems/forecas...05_forecast.htm

Then is the Eiffel tower a building too?  Certainly the Statue of Liberty would qualify as well with one hell of a decorative spire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is irrelevant since neither is anywhere near as tall as CN. I can tell that you have never been to the CN tower since it is being compared to that crazy radio antenna (shown earlier)and the statue of liberty but, believe me it is a building. It has elevators and toilets and offices and stores and hallways and as I said a restaurant or two along with its observation decks.

It is irrelevant since neither is anywhere near as tall as CN.  I can tell that you have never been to the CN tower since it is being compared to that crazy radio antenna (shown earlier)and the statue of liberty but, believe me it is a building.  It has elevators and toilets and offices and stores and hallways and as I said a restaurant or two along with its observation decks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your spidey since is way off then. I've been up the CN tower before and seen in plenty from the ground....I never compared it to the radio antenna, but I can absolutely say that it is comparable to the Eiffel tower, and the statue of libery. Each have enclosed climate-controlled spaces, and restrooms. I fail to see the difference.

The comparison is not irrelevant because you are asserting that the CN tower is the tallest "building" in the world, and I am challenging that assertion. If you don't consider the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty buildings, then I fail to see how the CN Tower qualifies.

Let me makes this simpler for you. If that radio tower in North Dakota had a broadcasting booth at the base from which the tower extended (and from the looks of the photos it might) then it is a building as well with a really tall spire by your definition.

Your spidey since is way off then.  I've been up the CN tower before and seen in plenty from the ground....I never compared it to the radio antenna, but I can absolutely say that it is comparable to the Eiffel tower, and the statue of libery.  Each have enclosed climate-controlled spaces, and restrooms.  I fail to see the difference.

The comparison is not irrelevant because you are asserting that the CN tower is the tallest "building" in the world, and I am challenging that assertion.  If you don't consider the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty buildings, then I fail to see how the CN Tower qualifies.

Let me makes this simpler for you.  If that radio tower in North Dakota had a broadcasting booth at the base from which the tower extended (and from the looks of the photos it might) then it is a building as well with a really tall spire by your definition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all I never said that the Eiffel and Sof L were not buildings. I said that they do not compare in height to CN so that they are irrelevant to the conversation.

As for CN you obviously have not been there because if you had you would know that it is much more than a broadcast booth at the base of a tall spire. The "spire" is massive and contains many functions designed for human activity including restaurants and offices as well as gift shops and observation decks.

Let me make this simple for you. All those things I listed are things that occure in "Buildings" They do not occure inside radio antena.

Then you would agree that the highest point in the CN tower that human activity occurs is the "official" height......It would seem then that Taipei 101 is taller. You're arguing both ways and it doesn't make sense. You claim that the CN tower is the tallest because it has human activity in an enclosed area, plus you count the spire above, but on the other hand you don't count a radio tower that extends from a single story building that has human activity with an obviously longer spire above. You can't define a building to suit your needs.

.... It has elevators and toilets and offices and stores and hallways and as I said a restaurant or two along with its observation decks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm. Chimney Rock NC has all of the that including a dramatic elevator drilled through the center of the mountain. But that doesn't make it a building either. If it was designated as such, the CN tower would not be even close in height.

Archived