Tallest Skyscraper in the USA will be Southern

monsoon

Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Where in the South will the Tallest Skyscraper in America be built?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Miami
    • Other City (please explain)
    • Chicago & NYC will always have the nations tallest

Hmmm.  Chimney Rock NC has all of the that including a dramatic elevator drilled through the center of the mountain.  But that doesn't make it a building either.  If it was designated as such, the CN tower would not be even close in height.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Boy this is reminding me of the debates over population. I think we all have to be realistic. The CN tower is NOT a building. Yes it has human activity and yes an obsevation deck, but it does not take a genius to figure out that the structure's function is for being a telecommunications hub and a tourist attraction.

A2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm.  Chimney Rock NC has all of the that including a dramatic elevator drilled through the center of the mountain.  But that doesn't make it a building either.  If it was designated as such, the CN tower would not be even close in height.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

LMAO @ MB, good call

Then you would agree that the highest point in the CN tower that human activity occurs is the "official" height......It would seem then that Taipei 101 is taller.  You're arguing both ways and it doesn't make sense.  You claim that the CN tower is the tallest because it has human activity in an enclosed area, plus you count the spire above, but on the other hand you don't count a radio tower that extends from a single story building that has human activity with an obviously longer spire above.  You can't define a building to suit your needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Taipei 101 is not in north america but since you bring it up lets compare. The official tallest building is set by a group in chicago called something like "the council on tall buildings" Their criteria is somewhat suspect since sometimes they include spires and sometimes they don't . They do not classify the CN tower as a building but do not give a clear reason why. They include the spire of taipei 101 as part of the building even though it is not inhapitable so the height of this building is officially at the top of the spire. They do not include sears tower spires as part of the building so they only include to the roof line as its official height. Comparison

SEARS

Spire 527M

Roof 442M

top floor 431M

TAIPEI 101

Spire 508M

Roof 448M

Top Floor 438M

CN TOWER

Spire 553M

Roof 457

Top Floor 446

As you can see the CN wins on each count. Note also that the lower observation pod on CN alone is over seven stories tall. It is far from being a metal truss antenna with a concrete block building at its base. If you can take a dump at 446 M ( CN will accommodate your human urges at this height) then I consider it a building.

If you can take a dump at 446 M ( CN will accommodate your human urges at this height) then I consider it a building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

I give. BTW, Emporis idenifies it as a building. For what is worth I do not. But that is only my opinion, which is worthless. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I think that Chicago and New York will always have the nations tallest buildings.

But if the tallest building in the country was to be built in the south, I think it would be built in either Houston, Atlanta, or Miami. Simply because of the fact that all of these cities are growing rapidly, have great markets for skyscrapers (Houston and Atlanta), already have major skylines to support a supertall building, or are in the process of getting a major skyline. (Miami)

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I think that Chicago and New York will always have the nations tallest buildings.

But if the tallest building in the country was to be built in the south, I think it would be built in either Houston, Atlanta, or Miami. Simply because of the fact that all of these cities are growing rapidly, have great markets for skyscrapers (Houston and Atlanta), already have major skylines to support a supertall building, or are in the process of getting a major skyline. (Miami)

I'd toss in Dallas with those three. It's quite an important and developed city already. The GaWC, a well respected and renowned source on city rankings, ranks Dallas and Houston above Atlanta and Miami, in fact. :)

Wikipedia: How a Global City is determined aacording to the GAWC

I would bet that for the next at least 25 years, there will always be competition between NYC and Chicago for America's tallest, but if one were to be built in the south, it would be in either Charlotte or Atlanta. Miami builds some tall residentials, but there is an understood limit to the height of residentials, a tall mixed use will probably be built sometime in the distant future in either Charlotte or Atlanta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Talk of maturity. Making a blanket statement like that and not provide any credible evidence it. Your bias is as pure as the driven snow. Riverside has provided accurate facts to back up his opinion, and I have to agree with him. You may not want to say it, but there seems to be a bias or dislike against the South. To say that the Southern US is the cause of sprawl or the model of sprawl really shows complete ignorance of other regions and their negative aspects, particularly in the Northeast.

The fact is that the South has developed the way it has because people prefer that way of living. Many people here do not want to be dependent on public mass transit, or living in multi-story "tissue boxes" that are so prominant in Northern cities. That is the beauty of this country. You don't have to live exactly like everybody else.

You talk about how "current gas prices are effecting southern families disproportionately hard because they are so much more dependent on the automobile." You also said, "In the end, that's what will hurt cities that are overly car dependant and little public transit..." What about Northern families and the insanely high rents and mortgage payments they have to pay??! As real estate prices go up, these families up North are hurt more....

AND.....

they end up moving to the South. Go figure. :whistling:

wont the real estate boom move south in the not so far future??? it's already hit a high point up north and prices are dropping and becoming what they really should be. I dont know much about real estate but

I'd say cost of living will even out soon enough to help take away the strain on the north for being known as expensive and overpriced.

For example.. condos in boston as a whole are dropping prices dramatically

• 5 months later...

I'm amazed that Houston has received so few votes. More international companies are moving to Houston than anywhere else in the south, and afterall it is the fourth largest city in the nation and the largest city in the south. It would only seem fitting that the next "nation's tallest" would be built in Houston.

Seems the tallest residential tower in the USA will be Southern with the proposed Signature tower in Nashville. Is that correct?

Depends on how you look at it. Since the signature is supposed to get a 10 story hotel, doesn't that technically make signature a mixed use tower?

Depends on how you look at it. Since the signature is supposed to get a 10 story hotel, doesn't that technically make signature a mixed use tower?

The tower will be 70 stories at 1,047 feet. Although the plans call for a boutique, grocery story, and various retail, the tower will be primarily residential. The thread also states "skyscraper," which means any tower is included. This will not only be the tallest tower in the south, but anywhere in the U.S. outside of New York and Chicago.

The tower will be 70 stories at 1,047 feet. Although the plans call for a boutique, grocery story, and various retail, the tower will be primarily residential. The thread also states "skyscraper," which means any tower is included. This will not only be the tallest tower in the south, but anywhere in the U.S. outside of New York and Chicago.

It's going to be a little weird, but really cool, to see this built in Nashville.

The South has become the most economically powerful region of the USA. Businesses and people continue to re-locate here from the other regions at a dizzying rate so it is just a matter of time before the tallest building in the USA is constructed in the South.

(currently, America's tallest is the Sears tower in Chicago, ironically Sears has been trumped by Southern retailers and no longer occupies the tower)

When those Southern Retailers decide that the rents there are too much, and they want to give back to their own community, they may just relocate their offices to Charlotte or Atlanta and build the tallest tower there.

Charlotte is a better choice due to it is #2 city of banking in the USA. Plus, it is better in housing costs.

As the South gains more people from other regions, I can only hope that the South becomes more 'aware' than its historic past of bigotry and such.

As the South gains more people from other regions, I can only hope that the South becomes more 'aware' than its historic past of bigotry and such.

um...have you been to the south lately? it's one of the most diverse areas in the country. unfortunately the south with always have the stigma of being bigots because of what happened in the 1960s. a lot has changed in the past 40 years.

Again, this is another instance of asking the question concerning quality of life. How will the quality of life in the South increase from having the tallest building? To gain something is to lose something. The South traditionally has had a unique charm and certain traditions that emanated from a less urban environment. That is being lost as the South becomes more urbanized. I dare suggest that the Native Southerner believes that their quality of life has deteriorated as a result of this growth. In the short run, migrants from large northern areas will see a gain in their quality of life, but as more people move south, the attributes that made the South attractive will fatigue and the South will become what many Northerners thought they were escaping from.

I like the old South better than the new, minus all the racial backwardness. Also, I would not be thumping my chest about the growth of the South when it is growing from the same corporate relocation motives that send jobs to Mexico, China and India....and that is CHEAPER LABOR. Its kind of like the girl that is "Easy" being proud of all the attention that she is getting realitve to the girls who make guys "work" for it.

um...have you been to the south lately? it's one of the most diverse areas in the country. unfortunately the south with always have the stigma of being bigots because of what happened in the 1960s. a lot has changed in the past 40 years.

Actually I have and haven't. I lived there and moved the week after Hurricane Hugo (1989? I think) I haven't really been back much.

April of last year I came back and enjoyed my visit. I remembered all the southern hospitality that I enjoyed growing up there outside Charlotte. We looked at several townships and cities and found Wilmington to be very nice. We bought a house there at the end of the month. We have been doing upgrades to the house when we had a chance to visit for a few weeks here and there. We are planning to move permanently there at the end of this June.

Time will tell. I can only hope that you are right. So far I have encountered only good things from the people I have met there so far.

Thanks for the ray of hope and positive reinforcements.

Oh yes, I voted that Charlotte will eventually have the tallest tower in the States. It will probably be in the next 25 years. The gutsiness shown with the announcement of Wachovia #4 shows me that the desire is there in Charlotte already. The desire for the (ultimate) tallest!

Archived