Nascar Hall of Fame?

ATL4EVER

Who Do You Think Will Get The Nascar Hall of Fame?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Think Will Get The Nascar Hall of Fame?

• ATLANTA
    • CHARLOTTE
    • KANSAS CITY
    • RICKMOND
    • DAYTONA BEACH

Well My vote is for Atlanta, I think we can get it. We can get more visitors in the first year , We have more Nascar sponsors than any other city, and already have a Large amount of tourist and convention traffic. If not Atlanta, it would be Charlotte. Charlotte claims they can make a multi-day Nascar Expierence; visitors can tour the Nascar Hall of Fame, as well as the Nascar headquarters. Charlotte is also home to the largest number of racing teams in the country. BUT Charlotte expest LESS THAN HALF of how many Atlanta expects. If Atlanta is chosen, by the time it is built, Atlanta would have been a tourist destination. I think It would go great with our World Class Aquarium.

USA TODAY

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it really depends on what is most important to NASCAR. They haven't shown a lot of interest in "maintaining" the history of their series recently (as they've pulled out of classic NASCAR tracks like Rockingham). If money is their primary interest, Atlanta has the best shot. If expanding the sport is the primary interest, KC would have the best shot. If history is important, it'll be Daytona. If it's sticking to the roots it'll be Charlotte. If it's sticking to population center, it's Richmond.

The trend of NASCAR has been to expand the sport and generate sponsor revenue. This sits very well with Atlanta, KC, and even Richmond. I don't honestly know what is important to them. Living in the Atlanta area, I'm definitely hoping Atlanta gets it. But without any idea of what is important to those who decide, it's a tough call. Each city has a resonable claim to the HOF. All I'll say is best of luck to each of the cities, whoever gets it, if they do it right, it'll be great for their city.

Well My vote is for Atlanta, I think we can get it.  We can get more visitors in the first year , We have more Nascar sponsors than any other city, and already have a Large amount of tourist and convention traffic. If not Atlanta, it would be Charlotte. Charlotte claims they can make a multi-day Nascar Expierence; visitors can tour the Nascar Hall of Fame, as well as the Nascar headquarters. Charlotte is also home to the largest number of racing teams in the country. BUT Charlotte expest LESS THAN HALF of how many Atlanta expects. If Atlanta is chosen, by the time it is built, Atlanta would have been a tourist destination. I think It would go great with our World Class Aquarium.

USA TODAY

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte is posting extrememly conservative figures.

What do you mean in saying this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's no secret that the France family does not like Bruton Smith.

They could punish Charlotte because of him (and Lowe's is his "home track"). This was being reported on one of CLT's TV newscasts.

Granted, Bruton owns the Atlanta track, but Bruton isn't really associated with Atlanta.

Bruton has said he wants the HOF in Charlotte.

If you were the France family, and you knew that this guy who competes against you, has been involved in suing you, and even had a rival sanctioning body at one time....you might say...

"Well, that old SOB wants it in CLT...he isn't going to get it"

It's no secret that the France family does not like Bruton Smith.

They could punish Charlotte because of him (and Lowe's is his "home track").  This was being reported on one of CLT's TV newscasts.

Granted, Bruton owns the Atlanta track, but Bruton isn't really associated with Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, there was some bad blood a few years back when Bruton Smith built the Texas Motor Speedway. Smith claimed that NASCAR promised him two races a year their if he built the track, but after it opened TMS only got one race a year. The whole thing ended up in a messy lawsuit.

BTW, AutoWeek Magazine seems to think Kansas City is a lock to get this. I'm not sure who their insider is, but their reasoning seems rather simplistic. It does mention the reason Charlotte & Atlanta wouldn't get it is Bruton Smith.

Article here: http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102494

Also, there was some bad blood a few years back when Bruton Smith built the Texas Motor Speedway. Smith claimed that NASCAR promised him two races a year their if he built the track, but after it opened TMS only got one race a year. The whole thing ended up in a messy lawsuit.

BTW, AutoWeek Magazine seems to think Kansas City is a lock to get this. I'm not sure who their insider is, but their reasoning seems rather simplistic. It does mention the reason Charlotte & Atlanta wouldn't get it is Bruton Smith.

Article here: http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102494

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are they smoking??? :lol: Seriously, all joking aside, KC should not even be a city on the list. I am not bashing at all. They have taken many polls and asked people around the country what they think of when they mentioned each city bidding for the HOF. Each time they got to KC, there was not one race fan who mentioned Racing. Most said steakhouses. :lol: If KC gets the HOF , NASCAR has truly fell off of their rocker. Even the drivers themselves have placed CLT at the top of the list. Not to mention CLT has more money, land, and one of the best architects in the world (PEI) to build the facility. This is more than any city listed has come to the table with. The entire state passed legislation to get the funding by jacking up Hotel/motel taxes. KC is having trouble even maintaining there current NASCAR mueseum, and have had talks of shutting the thing down. It is all about economics. If NASCAR has got beef w/ Bruton S. then it will be taken out in another way, but not by denying ATL or CLT the HOF. People (NASCAR fans) would blow there top. This is really a race between ATL and CLT. It would have been a tight race with Daytone, but they simply do not have the cash. Atlanta has the visitor daw and CLT the proposal. These cities are it. KC put down the pipe. :P

If NASCAR has got beef w/ Bruton S. then it will be taken out in another way, but not by denying ATL or CLT the HOF. People (NASCAR fans) would blow there top. This is really a race between ATL and CLT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I could see NASCAR denying CLT and ATL because of Bruton.

The France family can be pretty petty.

Oh, I could see NASCAR denying CLT and ATL because of Bruton.

The France family can be pretty petty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe. I would not go that far. If they are out to get someone, I do not believe they will do so at the expense of their bottom line. Granted Atlanta would still have a serious draw.

Richmond

Pros:

Home to NEXTEL, series sponsor

Richmond has more pros than this. Not to mention, this really isn't much of a pro. Nextel's HQ is more than an hour away. Not to mention they already have NASCAR related operations in Charlotte, significant regional HQ in Atlanta, and will have major operations in KC when/if the Sprint-Nextel merger goes through. Nextel also supported bids in each of those cities.

Richmond has the pro of being closet to the largest population draw (i.e. number of people within a days drive). If NASCAR was interested in expanding their appeal outside of the south and wanted a less risky version (i.e. far away from their "base" of fans in the south), Richmond would be a great choice. It gets them close to the population centers in the North without being so far from the south that they stand to loose them.

When the HOF is built, will the France Family recieve money collected from the visitors. If they are after money, I think Atlanta is their best bet. Though we are not generally a race fan city, ( some people didn't even know we had a race track), Our top corporations are helping fund it. If in Charlotte, the hall of fame would conservatively draw about 400,000 people a year which is roughly the annual attendance of the Atlanta Cyclorama. Which I find boring.

Here are Charlotte's renderings of the Hall of Fame

gal_nascar_inauguration_final_w.jpg

gal_nascar_groundview_web.jpg

gal_nascar_interior_web.jpg

gal_nascar_inauguration_final_w.jpg

Does Anyone have renderings of Atlanta's design for the HOF?

When the HOF is built, will the France Family recieve money collected from the visitors. If they are after money, I think Atlanta is their best bet. Though we are not generally a race fan city, ( some people didn't even know we had a race track),

Atlanta and Kansas City have said that they will not make their design renderings public (which I don't understand how that makes a difference at this point). Each city has different scenarios about how proceeds from the HoF will be used. I'm sure the Frances (nascar) will get some, but that amount will differ with each bid depending on how they plan to pay for construction, upkeep etc. of their facilities. None of the cities have released details about this, but it seems likely that Charlotte plans to use some kind of sponsorship deals. (the banners on the interior renerings).

If in Atlanta,I think the proposed image of the HOF would look, sophisticated, and upscale, I know Ted Turner wouldn't allow something ugly on his land. I think It would have some kind of coordination to the Aquarium, in terms of appearance.

All of the proposals were delivered to NASCAR in Charlotte. Wonder if that means the decision makers are located in Charlotte and if that will have any influence on the decision.

Unfortunately it won't have any influence, I believe 4 out of the 5 making the final decision are members of the France family.

All of the proposals were delivered to NASCAR in Charlotte.  Wonder if that means the decision makers are located in Charlotte and if that will have any influence on the decision.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were delivered to NASCAR's public relations firm in Charlotte.

From there, they immediately went to Raleigh, where a sports marketing firm (OneSport) is going to take all the spin/fluff out of the proposals. They will then submit summaries of each proposal to NASCAR's HQ in Daytona Beach.

Archived