Nascar Hall of Fame?

ATL4EVER

Who Do You Think Will Get The Nascar Hall of Fame?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Think Will Get The Nascar Hall of Fame?

• ATLANTA
    • CHARLOTTE
    • KANSAS CITY
    • RICKMOND
    • DAYTONA BEACH

I agree scraper, why tell me though? Just wondering is all - no big deal in my view, I don't care for NASCAR anyways.

But I'm 34 & there is some rap I like, not sure if it's hard core, but it's certainly more hard core than Will Smith / DJ Jazzy Jeff ;)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta's NASCAR bid is now up to $169 million in incentives! The AJC link is below.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...nascar0302.html

This is getting ridiculous. I want the HOF located here, but not at absolutely ANY cost whatsoever. How many years, hell DECADES, will it take for this thing to finally break even and actually make an economic profit to Atlanta? I don't know if its worth it. We've gotten ourselves into a bid war with Charlotte.

Here's some food for thought -- What if NASCAR deliberately leaked insider information saying Charlotte would indeed get the HOF in an attempt to prod Atlanta into a higher bid in an act of desperation? And then if it was good enough go with Atlanta?? Perhaps they're playing us -- squeezing us see what they can get out. This reeks of corporate welfare and I hate it.

Atlanta's NASCAR bid is now up to $169 million in incentives! The AJC link is below.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...nascar0302.html

This is getting ridiculous. I want the HOF located here, but not at absolutely ANY cost whatsoever. How many years, hell DECADES, will it take for this thing to finally break even and actually make an economic profit to Atlanta? I don't know if its worth it. We've gotten ourselves into a bid war with Charlotte.

Here's some food for thought -- What if NASCAR deliberately leaked insider information saying Charlotte would indeed get the HOF in an attempt to see if Atlanta would up their bid in an act of desperation??? And then if it was good enough go with Atlanta?? Perhaps they're playing us -- putting on the pressure to see what they can get out. This stinks of corporate welfare.

Yes, this is very ridiculous. It's very stupid that we've reduced ourselves to a bidding war with Charlotte over something that will benefit NASCAR far more than it will Atlanta. At first I wanted it to be built here just to have another attraction downtown but it's not worth all of this. Charlotte actually needs it, it's not like there's tons of stuff there anyway.

Yes, this is very ridiculous. It's very stupid that we've reduced ourselves to a bidding war with Charlotte over something that will benefit NASCAR far more than it will Atlanta.

Someone said upthread (or maybe in a seperate thread) that it appears the state is pushing more for this than the city. Maybe there's more to this deal than we know about. Maybe the state made certain promises to Atlanta if they pushed for the HOF?

Like I said over in Charlotte, it baffles me how state lawmakers can be so eager to find funding to help the NHOF (which would directly help the CITY OF ATLANTA) yet they sit quietly by when the issue of state funding for MARTA comes up. I just don't understand the rationale.

I'm utterly perplexed by that as well. It would be great to see lawmakers throw money like that to issues that REALLY mattered, like education and healthcare (just speaking in general, not specifically about Georgia).

We could use that money for more important things. Nascar has turned Atlanta and Charlotte into a couple of [ladies who perform acts for money]. I don't care who gets it anymore.

I like the way you tried to remain tactful. You could've said "ladies of the night," it would've worked just as well. :D

Perhaps they're playing us -- squeezing us see what they can get out. This reeks of corporate welfare and I hate it.

Of course they are playing the cities off each other. You'd do the same thing if you were Bill France. Try to get the best deal you can get. The three cities/states (Atlanta and Charlotte particularly) are just dumb enough to play along.

Of course they are playing the cities off each other. You'd do the same thing if you were Bill France. Try to get the best deal you can get. The three cities/states (Atlanta and Charlotte particularly) are just dumb enough to play along.

Very True. You know I haven't heard of Daytona doing anything "overboard" to secure NASCAR. They're talking about this on Channel 2 Action News, the conflicting reports from Charlotte Observer and NASCAR officials. He (the sports reporter) even kinda dissed them both saying if it's awarded to Charlotte on Monday it's a big mistake for NASCAR and proves they've been dishonest. All this over stock car memorabilia and it doesn't really fit Atlanta's current "image" or at least the one we're trying to exhibit globally.

I agree that this all is obscene. I am also suspicious that NASCAR orchestrated a bidding war with its Charlotte leak. I do not think the jobs and economic development potential that NASCAR represents in any way justifies that amount of money. The acquarium appeals to a much broader segment of the population, and the taxpayers were not ripped off to get it done. I personal know only one person here in Atlanta who would probably ever even go to the museum. With so many other pressing needs and other projects that would be more benefitial to downtown's revitalization, this is outrageous. Furthermore, the next museum that Atlanta should pursue is a Civil Rights museum. Atlanta is far more associated with the Civil Rights Movement than it is with NASCAR. NASCAR is a profitable business--it can pay for its own hall of fame. I am deeply disappointed at Mayor Franklin concerning this matter. As a taxpayer in Atlanta and Georgia, I say if Charlotte wants it so bad, let them have it. They seem to want it more than Atlanta, and it more naturally fits there in my opinion.

I've been ambivalent but in favor of the the Nascar HOF as a non-Nascar fan but I do agree its become too much of a distraction for the city and state from doing the things that will truly make this a great city again. Im pretty sure they'll stick with Charlotte and then we can start a movement to divide the money rounded up for Nascar between the Symphony hall and an agressive, comprehensive infrastucture plan beginning with downtown and then branching out to major roads like Ponce, Piedmont, etc. I think the Nascar hall would have been good for the city but IMO those things will do even more to sustain and enhance the momentum the city has and will do MUCH more in the long run to build the kind of city we all want.

What will be funny about all of this, is if Charlotte and Atlanta bid all this money (that I agree, needed to be spent elsewhere), and they announce monday that Daytona is the Winner. I'm not sure how active they are in the bidding process, and how much they have thrown at NASCAR so far, but it will all be funny if they get it.

What will be funny about all of this, is if Charlotte and Atlanta bid all this money (that I agree, needed to be spent elsewhere), and they announce monday that Daytona is the Winner. I'm not sure how active they are in the bidding process, and how much they have thrown at NASCAR so far, but it will all be funny if they get it.

I can see it now. It is the day of the big announcement.:

Mr. France: And the NASCAR Hall of Fame goes to....drum roll please...................DAYTONAAAAAA!!!!!

:shok::shok::shok:from the Atlanta and Charlotte section

The officials from Atlanta and Charlotte's bids look shocked, appalled, angry, sad, exasperated...need I go on? Atlanta is shocked because, not only did it not win something, but, after finally ponying up more than enough money for the bid, they find otu they did all that work for nothing. Charlotte is shocked not only because it too offered up a ridiculously large amount of money, but also their feeling that they were somehow entitled to the all of fame has just been blown completely in their faces. Meanwhile, the officials from Daytona's winning bid practically wet themselves with excitement as they make their way onto the stage.

I'll sum it up this way:

--Atlanta is blowing out a lot of hot air that it can get the hall and make it a damn good one as well.

--Charlotte knows (or thinks it does) that it will get it and is practically sleeping with NASCAR to assure the fact that it will (although Atlanta hasn't been exactly sleeping alone at night either as of late).

--Daytona...well what has Daytona done? It seems it is left waving a giant flag saying "What about me?" in an attempt to get noticed by NASCAR.

As of late, I have begun thinking that Atlanta's money is best spent elsewhere, like on a much more visually impressive structure such as the Symphony Hall. The race for the NASCAR Hall of Fame has become so ridiculous that I have just stopped caring about who gets it because it really isn't that big of a deal.

No, I would think that Atlanta was a feminine name.

I know, it's the feminine version of Atlantic. :D I just wanted to inject some humor. Since chap started it, don't you think Atlanta gets around way too much? We've recently screwed our neighboor to north Chattanooga and have been doing the same to Birmingham, Marietta, Decatur and pratically every other city in the state. I won't enough go into what Georgia been doing to her... :ph34r:

No, I would think that Atlanta was a feminine name.

I know, it's the feminine version of Atlantic. :D I just wanted to inject some humor. Since chap started it, don't you think Atlanta gets around way too much? We've recently screwed our neighboor to north Chattanooga and have been doing the same to Birmingham, Marietta, Decatur and pratically every other city in the state. I won't enough go into what Georgia been doing to her... :ph34r:

Exactly right. Atlanta could not only be taken from the feminine version of Atlantic, but also from the Middle name of the then governor's daughter Martha Atalanta Lumpkin (Marthasville, anyone?) Atalanta was a character in Greek mythology.

I didn't want to jinx it by posting that article just yet, because its not over until its over, but that would be really twisted if it was announced for any other contender despite that front page article.

Oh and, If Charlotte was in a race for anything, I'm glad it was with Atlanta; Worthy adversary :)

Yes, if this is accurate (which I'm not convinced of yet) than congrats to Charlotte! I have always felt that is the only place that makes sense, and I am happy for our little sister up the road.

But, in these quotes I lifted from the NASCAR website, I'm not to happy with these remarks:

Little E said "If they call me to come do something I'll get in my car and go to downtown Charlotte, but I'm not going to Atlanta,'' Sabates said. "That had a lot of influence on the decision.''

Atlanta and Daytona Beach joined Charlotte as finalists for the facility. Atlanta was considered the strongest competition.

"Atlanta was in the running until the last minute,'' Sabates said.

But Sabates said Charlotte made more sense, arguing the downtown area is more family oriented with neighborhoods and major townhouse projects.

"Think about this,'' Sabates said. "Would you want to go to Atlanta at 8 o'clock at night and walk around by yourself? I told [NASCAR president] Mike Helton one day, 'Do you want to take your wife and kids and walk the streets a few blocks away from the Hall of Fame in Atlanta?' He said, 'Why?' I said, 'Just try it and you'll see.'"

Well, well, well.........I think I smell a rat!

"Think about this,'' Sabates said. "Would you want to go to Atlanta at 8 o'clock at night and walk around by yourself? I told [NASCAR president] Mike Helton one day, 'Do you want to take your wife and kids and walk the streets a few blocks away from the Hall of Fame in Atlanta?' He said, 'Why?' I said, 'Just try it and you'll see.'"

Well, well, well.........I think I smell a rat!

I did find that comment to be a little harsh and a bit of an exaggeration.

Yeah, that comment was a little "below the belt." I don't think he truly meant anything negative by it; he was simply trying to sway the Nascar decision-makers to built the Hall in Charlotte.

At any rate, I will be excited to see the exhibit when Charlotte completes it.

Archived