Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vladittude0583

Downtown Center

Not to compare cities, but I thought it'd be nice if Jacksonville had a park somewhere in dowtown that was large and reminiscent of New York City's Central Park. What do you guys think?

I'm sure that if there was such a location somewhere in downtown that you could consider a large park to hang out, then it would definitely help bring forth the needed population over there I think. Downtown would be more vibrant and lively I believe if it had such a park similar to Central Park in NYC.

Not to compare cities, but I thought it'd be nice if Jacksonville had a park somewhere in dowtown that was large and reminiscent of New York City's Central Park. What do you guys think?

I'm sure that if there was such a location somewhere in downtown that you could consider a large park to hang out, then it would definitely help bring forth the needed population over there I think. Downtown would be more vibrant and lively I believe if it had such a park similar to Central Park in NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're having to fight to keep the job corp building at klutho(springfield) park in downtown from becoming a homeless shelter, not to mention whats happened at conferderate park. Imagine how many homeless we can fit into a grand park. :w00t:

If you look at hogan creek park (i think thats what ti is called) it is a HUGE park with respect to anythign else in the DT area. So basicly, we alreayd have a large park system. Jax's problem isnt lack of Parks, its lack of WEL FUNDED parks. If they fixed that park up, and I mean spending some serious dough to fix it up, people WILl COME. MYSELF INCLUDED. It is realy sad to think that where came I from has a park of similar (maybe a little smaller) size called Timrod park. It is an amazingly kept up park with tennis courts, trails, playgrounds, even a playground for the Handicaped. The museum is also on Timrod Parks Property. They fixed up the banks along a creek that is liittle more than a ditch with water. You alays see people having picnics by the glorified ditch. Why because they spend the money to make it look nice. Because of it, the park is surrounded by one of the nicer but older neighborhoods in town. I think something comparible would happen to springfield if this was done here.

Second, if after the the park is cleaned and consistantly funded (thats the key phrase here) you could then rezone the DT side of the park for High Density Commercial/Residential and I am willing to bet LARGE sums of cash that good quality highrises would go up adjasent to the park. People like to be around nature, they just in general dont like going out into nature to find nature. That is why River/ocean fronts are so popular in large cities. That is also one of the reasons why Central Park is so built up. likewise the same for the park on michigan Ave in Chicago (cant think of the name)

but alas,

Our city lets these beautiful parks sit and go to waste...

(as a note, the town im talking about... it has a population of about 30,000... if they can fund a large park like this, why cant Jacksonville...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We already have a Grand "Central Park-like" park, stretching over a mile, between Springfield and downtown. Unfortunately, the city doesn't bother to maintain it like the parks in Riverside, San Marco and the Southside. To learn more about it, click on this:

http://www.downtownparks.com/

The Riverwalk should be considered a long skinny park, because Parks and Rec runs it.

Did I mention that we've got a market on the northbank riverwalk between hogan and pearl? I'll be spinning jazz and reggae from 9am to 2pm. The dry run was really well attended last Sat. and the vendors list will grow if you are the shopping type.

Looking forward to the update after tonights meeting.

TUC

... That is also one of the reasons why Central Park is so built up. likewise the same for the park on michigan Ave in Chicago (cant think of the name)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be Millennium Park or Grant Park depending on if you are near the Musuem Campus or not. Most likely you are thinking about Grant Park, which has underground parking under parts of it, a newly constructed ampitheater, rose garden, fountains, etc. It is between the Lake and Michigan Ave (Some of the most expensive property in Chicago) It flows seamlessly into Millennium Park and the Musuem campus, along with miles or bike and jogging trails/paths.

Among Chicago's other major parks there is Lincoln Park (with the Lincoln Park zoo in it, among other items) closer to Boystown (I forget what that area is really named) with Wrigley Field close by.

BTW, did anyone know, that the Jacksonville Zoo began in Klutho Park, with left over animals used in Silent film productions or that Teddy Roosevelt conducted speeches from its Bandstand? These chain of parks are loaded with history.

I had heard that the homeless situation got a little better in Confederate Park. I remember thinking that there was an outdoor concert going on, because there were so many people just sprawled on the ground in blankets. How horrible for that park. My grandma (who left with the "white flight") played in that park as a kid.