What will the Triangle's next pro sports team be?

jb4563

What professional sport will come to the Triangle next?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What professional sport will come to the Triangle next?

• NFL
    • NBA
    • MLB
    • MLS (soccer)
    • None, college is enough.

Ok, it is only a matter of time before NC becomes gets another major professional team.

It doesn't matter than NHL is going down the tubes....NHL doesn't work in the South.

It doesn't matter if it will be 5, 10, 20 years from now...

So which will it be?

I think the Triangle will have an NFL team in the next 15 years.

And the stadium should be built in DT Raleigh.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please build downtown....any sport.

I think the next will be soccer.

It may be awhile before MLB, NFL, NBA allows 2 teams so close together in the same state. If it is 15 years down the road, the Triangle may have a population of @ 2.25-2.5MM..A good market population.

I don't know if any of the big three are even thinking about expansion. Baseball would be the best geographical fit with nothing between DC and Atlanta, but I don't see the MLB expanding in the next 10 years. Unfortunately, we are too close to Charlotte to get an NBA or NFL team. I wouldn't expect to see an NBA team unless Raleigh and Charlotte both had metro populations of 3-4 million each, and even then its a long shot. You usually don't find teams in close proximities until you have populations of at least 7 million ie. Baltimore-Washington, LA, NY-NJ-Philly (its close enough), San-fran/Oakland.

I'd love to see the NBA or NFL move to Raleigh, but realistically I don't see it happening. I'd expect the tidewater region to have more success.

I don't know if any of the big three are even thinking about expansion. Baseball would be the best geographical fit with nothing between DC and Atlanta, but I don't see the MLB expanding in the next 10 years. Unfortunately, we are too close to Charlotte to get an NBA or NFL team. I wouldn't expect to see an NBA team unless Raleigh and Charlotte both had metro populations of 3-4 million each, and even then its a long shot. You usually don't find teams in close proximities until you have populations of at least 7 million ie. Baltimore-Washington, LA, NY-NJ-Philly (its close enough), San-fran/Oakland.

I'd love to see the NBA or NFL move to Raleigh, but realistically I don't see it happening. I'd expect the tidewater region to have more success.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think CLT and Raleigh are too close together.

Look at Cincinatti and Cleveland.

In 10-15 years....both areas will have about 4 million people.

I don't see the triangle getting any pro teams, maybe MLS if they're lucky, but I severely doubt MLB and especially doubt NBA or NFL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you are saying in 20 years you don't think the Triangle will have anything?

I don't think CLT and Raleigh are too close together.

Look at Cincinatti and Cleveland.

In 10-15 years....both areas will have about 4 million people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cincy and Cleveland are further apart, almost equivalent to Raleigh to DC, give or take 30 miles. I can't think of any NBA franchises within 2 and a half hours of each other where there aren't at least 7-8 million people in the 2 metros. That probably holds up for football as well.

MLB - I would think the most likely, but doubt they will move anywhere into NC for at least 15-20 years. I think their next expansion would be into Mexico & Puerto Rico.

NFL - I just can't see much more expansion, and everyone knows the next team is going to L.A.

NBA - No way they are stupid enough to think they can compete against 3 ACC teams

MLS - could happen, but I think they would likely play at the soccer complex in Cary. Isn't there already a stadium out there where a womans pro team played?

no way, theres no pro sports team coming here. Especially not the NFL, i think the nba would work here considering how big basketball is around here but they wont come here because were to close to charlotte. MLB umm no, thats not going to happen. MLS if you call that pro sports, i wouldnt care if they came or not. The best possibility we have is probably the wnba.

just my opinion.

College sports have saturated the market for potential spectators for another professional sports team around here. The NBA will never happen here either - this being the college basketball capital of the world. Plus, there's a lot of resentment towards the NBA for snatching up all of the college basketball superstars. Carolina & Duke have been depleted of a core team more than once.

If I recall a few years ago MLB considered coming to the Triad Area. But the area did not want to foot the money for a stadium. I think the population of the triangle could support a MLB Franchise. If any more pro sports teams would to come here, it would definetly be Baseball. I think that eventually that the Durham Bulls will move up that last rung to MLB. But then the question would be to stay in Durham or to move to Raleigh.

Raleigh wouldn't want an MLB first off. The South alone doesn't work well in the MLB. Basketball, maybe. Football, not in the near future. MLS, the best choice, but once again Triangle leaders would really have to think things through. Maybe in 15 years once that market has grown and stepped into the national spotlight can I see a pro sports team outside the MLS coming to the area.

Baseball could work in the Triangle. Look at how many people have moved here from the Northeast. It wouldn't be like Florida or anything as far as apathy. It would take a bit more time though..10 years or so. The area's got plenty of name recognition already, so this won't be a problem as the area matures. I agree that the Bulls will live on, but eventually as a MLB team.

Archived