DEGC Approves new east riverfront plan

Allan

Well, let me just say that when I first moved to Detroit last May (it's been just over a year now) my employment was at Merchants Row (I assisted in the lease consulting). We had TONS of interest as you can imagine, and one of the most popular questions were 1. ARE THESE FOR PURCHASE?, 2. WHAT IS THE VIEW?, 3. CAN YOU SEE THE RIVER?

If the customer wasn't turned away by the answer to question 1. (that the lofts were for lease only) then their next selling point was usually view. They weren't going to come live downtown and not have a view. When you're on the riverfront, this is like first-nature. Can you imagine no highrises on the Chicago lakefront, so that almost NOBODY has a view? Where's the property value in that?

Again...DETROIT, don't f* this up!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what theyre trying to do with this "downtown Novi". People are arguing for both sides. One sides saying that a downtown would improve Novi's economy and culture and the other is saying that downtown development is only for cities that are struggling.

I dunno

Novi is built with the automobile in mind. There's not much it can do to really build itself a "downtown". Plus, every other suburb thinks it can do just the same, which isn't true.

People flee the suburbs with downtowns to new suburbs that don't have them. They go there for the reason that homes are few and far between, then months later realize that they want a downtown. That's not how it works, which is why Novi's "downtown" has had such trouble since its first inception.

What's good for Novi's economy is its malls and high end retail and restraunts. Yes, they are in a suburban setting, and that's because that is what Novi is, has been and always will be...a suburb.

If you all want high-rises and mid-rises along the East Riverfront. E-mail city council members about it. Tell them your reasons.

[email protected]. mi.us

CockrelK.CNCL.Council@kcockrel .ci.detroit.mi.us

[email protected] .us

[email protected] i.us

[email protected] i.us

[email protected]. us

[email protected]

[email protected]

Archived