Article about New Towers buildings

snoogit

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...45658182120.xml

(linked, but not copied)

Kinda neat how they will all line up on the skyline.

another interesting tidbit was this:

The state's investment in the project also is unclear. It owns a surface lot east of Division along Michigan used for employees and visitors to the nearby state office building. Grand Rapids Press, 2005

If the state ever decides to move, they should move here.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a rendering from another angle (the press has a rendering of the north elevation). The tallest building will be 11 stories and the smallest will be 5 (the cancer center). I think it is cool how all of the buildings line up to have the same height roofline. Now I want to know more about materials... :)

Joe

since the children's hospital isnt specifically mentioned im assuming its not apart of this plan as I have heard it was supposed to be the highest point in the skyline due to its placement on the hill.

well I read the article in the paper, they showed a rendering, a map of different buildings in placement around the developement. The proposed childrens hospital, was shown at the corner of Bostwick and Michigan accross the street. They didn't talk about it, but i'd assume it's definately in the works.

It is. But according to Spectrum one thing at a time. They can only accomodate so much construction on the hill while still keeping the hospital as open as possible - I suspect that this is a requirement passed down from the Federal government. After thie new parking ramp wraps up the Cancer center will get started - as well as the Towers development. This is why they are tying it into the Cancer center, they do not want to have to wait until the CH is done or delay it.

It will probably start in three or four years.

Anyone know how tall they'll be? (in feet, not stories) Will they blend in like the other 5-10 story buildings downtown or will they actually look like towers? (I always thought that TOWERS was a funny name for that building that is there now since it is short and only one building) They should just stack up all three and build 30 stories or so. =)

Anyone know how tall they'll be?  (in feet, not stories)  Will they blend in like the other 5-10 story buildings downtown or will they actually look like towers?  (I always thought that TOWERS was a funny name for that building that is there now since it is short and only one building)  They should just stack up all three and build 30 stories or so.  =)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know the height, but if you look at this rendering of the North elevation:

16FEADA0D9CE11D9826F67AF18F73B1D.jpg

the "tower" at the far right is 11 stories at Division. I believe that would make it quite a bit taller than the State Building or Law Building in that same vicinity. The rest of the buildings are at the same height as the 11 story, but progressively fewer floors due to the parking deck and slope of the site.

Archived