What Happened to the Term Metrolina?

sta8svil

What Happened to the Metrolina Monniker for the 15 county region surrounding Charlotte? There used to be signs in the Triad that would say for example Welcome to Lexington "A Piedmont Triad Community". These signs were placed throughout the region to promote a unifed front even in places that considered themselves fringe areas. What are the pros and cons of using the Metrolina and the same approach in the Charlotte Region.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because it isn't very interesting.... and "Charlotte" works well enough for this region, whereas Triad and Triangle are important for distinguishing the metro/region vs. the individual cities.

it is still used, but is just not in common usage.

I'm glad b/c Metrolina sound a lik arkward, but however if Metrolina region decided to succeed from NC and SC, I wouldn't mind it being the name of that state...though something else could be better. But I'm glad that Charlotte has it own identity within itself unlike Triad or Triangle.

I don't think it sounds "polished" enough for some in Charlotte these days.  Kinda like North Charlotte being called NoDa now and part of S. Blvd being called South End.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think most people prefer place names to sound older or more mysterious or tied to the geography of the area. I think "Catawba Valley" would be good, as a lot of regions are known by river valleys.

I agree that that metrolina doesn't sound very refined, but it also just sounds like a made-up label. Triangle and Triad are both just natural words for a three-city region... but metrolina could just as easily have been the label for any other metropolitan area in nc or sc...

That is why i think metrolina just isn't used as much... "Charlotte" or "greater charlotte" describes the region without confusion, and sounds much better.

Very true. Metrolina was once used quite often within the Charlotte area, but I don't think I ever heard it used by anyone who did not live here. It was always just "Charlotte". This was the same in both states. Maybe the term was invented mostly for commerce reasons as I think it was mostly used by advertizing agencies. Checking out the phone book I notice there are almost an entire page of businesses with Metrolina in the name.

I like it myself which is one of the reasons it is on the description for the forum.

I remember the moniker Metrolina was fairly big in the 80's, but just like jelly bracelets & leg warmers - it goes out of style. But as mentioned, possibly b/c the identity of Charlotte has grown among the suburbs & sattellite cities that Metrolina is no longer needed. In the 80's, it was still an oddity for Rock Hill to be a suburb of Charlotte, I remember it didn't feel like it then - so that term was used to give the area some identity. But again - it's not needed any longer, at least as a substitute to Charlotte, but there may still be a future for Metrolina as Charlotte's influence grows or as the ultimate Metrolina develops - Greenville - Charlotte - Greensboro - Raleigh sphere of sprawldelopment.

Didn't that corridor used to be named "The Piedmont Crescent".

I remember the Metrolina signs posted at the Union County Border on 74. It excited me to think even back in the 70's, that Charlotte whought of itself beyond its borders.

Metrolina now seems a tired term. Reminds me of "MetroPlex" used in Dallas/Ft Worth.

Archived