VA Hospital to lease land to developers

krazeeboi

The VA Hospital on Garners Ferry Road (next to USC School of Medicine) is leasing 26 acres of its hospital campus to developers for nonresidential uses, The State reports. When I first viewed the article, I thought that the School of Medicine might be interested in the land, but as of now, they are not. Mayor Coble seems to think that the only thing that could feasibly be built on the land is single family homes. Personally, I'm not sure exactly what developers could build there. Any thoughts or comments?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with Columbia and single family homes. I mean how many homes does Cola have to build for single families (and families of all types).

Enough with building homes, how about building something that will entertain the people that live in all of the housing developments that Columbia loves to build.

Mayor Bob Coble seems pretty cool and all, but Cola needs a new mayor. It seems as though Bob Coble has been the mayor here since the 19th century. Columbia needs a younger mayor with more ideas.

Wow, no replies since WEDNESDAY? Is it just me, or has the Columbia subforum been kinda slow lately?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Fatigue... TOO much urban renewal going on. :) We've been out of town (again) -- and I'll be out of the loop a lot for the next couple of weeks. But still randomly checking in on things.

Wow, no replies since WEDNESDAY? Is it just me, or has the Columbia subforum been kinda slow lately?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not you. It has been very slow. Greenville seems to be taking the spotlight in new developments and general discussion for the moment. It has been my experience that activity comes in waves. For a long time Columbia was the big dawg in terms of discussions- particularly back in the Upstate/Midlands days. It also seems that the new developments have slacked off in Columbia. Well, rennovations and center-city improvements have at anyrate. The other problem is that when discussions slack off, the less dedicated members slack off as well. Any suggestions from you guys on ways we can revive this section are more than welcome.

Yeah it seems like the Greenville subforum is just as active as the Charlotte one. Personally I just think they're more excited about what's going on in their city. Columbia has just as much to be proud of: Bull Street project, USC Research campus, new baseball stadium, residential projects along Main, mill renovations, streetscapings, etc. But I don't know, I hope things will pick up rather soon over this way.

Archived