Downtown

Florida

Thanks. Yeah I didn't remember seeing a thread for it. I assume we mentioned it in the Major Developments thread some time ago. Where will it be built?

Nevermind, haha. I just looked through this thread and found it. This could potentially be the first development in the Southeast corner of downtown since what, the seventies?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2eck6j8.jpg

Who here thinks the signage used for the Downtown Marketplace are a tad tacky? My thinking is if this thing runs 9 months out of the year, we ought to have signage that looks more permanent and professional than what we have. I'm prepared to write a letter to the DIA addressing this issue, I just want to know if others feel the same.

Image Courtesy of TD! :)

I think that's a fine idea FL. You're right, the MarketPlace is almost a permanent fixture downtown and should have a more permanent looking sign. I've noticed w/the current sign, that it hangs tight during the spring and early summer months, but by the fall, that sign sometimes really sags to the point where it's hard to read.

You think some of the officials on the DIA even know we have and where the Marketplace is located? I mean some of them hate to drive "ALL THE WAY" downtown. :o

That sounds Awesome FL!

I do so hate the suspense though-

A new sign would be awsome... but a bridge over monroe connecting the two parks would provide a nice hanger for a banner! Plus, all DT events would benefeit from it!

horses... ummm... no.... lol! I dont feel a domesticated animal would sufficently represent our state.

I ate at a baller pizza place in Tampa last night. NYC Pizza I think it was. The owner was there and said they were based in Orlando. I told him if he had not seen Tally's DT Potential maybe he should peek around a bit. The location we went to was next door to the St Pete Times Forum and i told him about the Civic Center and retail opertunities along gaines nestled between the Universities. He said that sounded like it would be a good fit.

(then we watched a great lighning game! Boy I miss the TSharks!)

• 3 weeks later...

Financial adviser withdraws approval for Bethel dorm project

According to a memo recently released the authority that issues bonds on behalf of Leon County has withdrawn its approval for the Bethel dormitory project. Bethel Missionary Baptist Church wants to spend nearly $20 million to convert the Downtown Holiday Inn into a private student dorm. Bethel is seeking approval for $18 million in tax-exempt bonds to help pay for the project. The Leon County Educational Facilities Authority allowed the project to continue until turmoil in financial markets led to an expected 9-percent increase in the interest rate. The rate is higher than what's permitted by Florida Statutes, the memo says.

------------------------------------------------------------

Still no word from Holiday Inn officials on how they feel about this issue. I'm surprised our paper hasn't really dug into this more. Someone needs to address this.

Archived