Downtown

Florida

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Democrat reports that the Adams street beautification starts monday! sidwalks and such for the area will help.

Also in the business section sunday, there is a great article about a HIlton Head landscape architecture firm relocating to the heated tallahassee area with sights on cascade park improvments aswell as other DT fun http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee...ss/12476432.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I overlooked this article in reference to affordable housing; downtown and in the area. I like the part describing the 10% affordable housing being required for every development after oct 10th. i think that will help the market some. But some attractive high-rise residential in DT is still on my priority list. Article from the democrate....

Affordable Housing

:whistling:

I overlooked this article in reference to affordable housing; downtown and in the area.  I like the part describing the 10% affordable housing being required for every development after oct 10th.  i think that will help the market some.  But some attractive high-rise residential in DT is still on my priority list.  Article from the democrate....

Affordable Housing

:whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another good piece... I like the idea, and now Im curious if the project would be high rise or low density.

Sounds like this is one of those proposals that rolled in after the deadline.

yeah... not like the "lofts" like behind the mcD on tennessee... i know there are the buisness conversion all finished up behind the turlington... i think its ugly. I would like to see 10 stories rather than cute houses. All saints or SW Gaines would be my preference, outside of the downtown core, but walking distance to the retail market!!!

I personally think its a great idea to have affordable housing downtown. I don't take kind of those who go about trying to recruit "the right people" to a particular place. "The right people" are all of the people, and they shouldn't go about the practice of pricing out "the wrong people" no more than they should "gouge' us to purchase their homes.

AH! Partial story-stealers I see. (Joking!)

I was thinking about "affordable downtown housing" the other day and I realized that . . . there isn't any. Well, there isn't any NICE affordable downtown housing where I would feel safe. Maybe a little is scattered somewhere, but none that I can pull out of my top-hat.

Prices in Leon County, especially within Tallahassee city limits has boomed - as the Democrat said in that article. My boyfriend purchased his house three or four years ago for around $92,000 - an older house in a very quiet neighborhood off of Hartsfield. A friend of ours in real estate said that he would begin marketing it for $120,000-$125,000 today. . . :blink:

It's not just recent college graduates and . . . others down on their luck - I've also noticed a trend of the older generations living in . . . student duplex areas. Why? My guess is because rent is lower than owning/renting their own house. I guess I'm just old fashion when I say that someone's grandmother shouldn't be renting a duplex next to Bob and Billy beer-kegging buddies. Is there a place to find statistics on stuff like this? (Specifically age generations and living conditions?)

Anyway, new housing - affordable, nice, and safe - would be awesome. I'd also like to see more "homes" in condo/duplex style than apartments.

"and . . . others down on their luck" lol... clever. I think the downtown market would blow up if college students were able to afford to live downtown. It is too intellegent in a city like ours, with problmes like ours. 2 campuses so close to DT... cities would kill for our set up!

College students living DT= College loan/ parent money spent DT = explosion DT = Sustainable DT Population!!! Do it.

• 2 months later...

Florida Sells Tallahassee some Downtown Property

Remember the 10 Bids the city recieved from developers to build in downtown Tallahassee not long ago?

Well, it seems things may take a huge leap forward soon in making somebody's vision come true... the city now owns a prime spot downtown, just across from the education building, where it wants to see a top notch hotel, and some mixed use development among other things to keep Tallahassee Vibin' long into the night.

Read the Article here, from the Tallahassee Democrat

Archived