Downtown

Florida

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DIA choses Pasini

How do you feel about this choice for E. D. of the Downtown Improvement Authority?

I'm not so wild about it. Nor am I about any of the top three candidates. First let me say I know nothing but what I've read about Mr. Pasini and I'm definitely willing to give him a chance at the job. However it just reads like he only wants the job for the money and benefits (hey don't we all???) Does he have passion about the downtown? And shouldn't the DIA head have some planning experience? Mr. Pasini lives in Crawfordville, nothing wrong w/that again, but does he have any urban living and working experience? Where else has he lived if anywhere? For the amount of money they are paying for this job, I was hoping they'd recruit a candidate from a major metro (one million plus) area who had seen and helped implement "new tricks" from these bigger downtowns. They didn't have to steal away those places 1st in command, even 2nd or 3rd in command would have been fine.

Again I'm not up in arms over his decision, just slightly disappointed. Should I be? What are your viewpoints on this hiring?

I'm embarrassed and disappointed! :cry:

A resident from Crawfordville who happens to be director of State Troopers. I suppose Tallahassee is Mayberry and Al Pasini is now our Andy Griffith. Damn it!! :angry:

I hope this guy has some tricks up his sleeves because I not feeling inspired at all. And the other candidates on the list are just as shocking - come on!!!!!

I'm embarrassed and disappointed! :cry:

A resident from Crawfordville who happens to be director of State Troopers. I suppose Tallahassee is Mayberry and Al Pasini is now our Andy Griffith. Damn it!! :angry:

I hope this guy has some tricks up his sleeves because I not feeling inspired at all. And the other candidates on the list are just as shocking - come on!!!!!

TJ and seminole, I'm w/you both on the E.D. candidates for the DIA. It will be interesting to read more about the top pick in tomorrow's paper.

I wonder if they even did a national or regional or statewide search? Looks like they only did a local one. I know 75K isn't as much as it use to be, but still that's a pretty good chunk of change. Looks that would be enough to lure more qualified candidates for the job.

They probably could have thrown a darts at a board of recent Urban Planning graduates and gotten a better person for the job. Probably be cheaper too.

However I have the feeling that they were looking for someone to manage the project rather than bring new ideas to the table. At least that is what I am hoping. :(

They probably could have thrown a darts at a board of recent Urban Planning graduates and gotten a better person for the job. Probably be cheaper too.

However I have the feeling that they were looking for someone to manage the project rather than bring new ideas to the table. At least that is what I am hoping. :(

Tallahassee Democrat article stated that Al Pasini was chosen because of:

1. Background in financial management

2. fund-raising abilities

TDIA chairman, Bill Moor said Pasini scored high during an hour plus interview before the committee. "He showed that he has a lot of confidence in his abilities and he has accomplished a lot. He is very knowledgeable about our organization (TDIA) He had some ideas about the direction we should go in and we had a discussion about that...."

Experience:

• Executive Director and CEO of American Association of Florida State Troopers

• President and CEO Martin Frome and Associates in Kansas City, Mo. (Association Mgmt. Co.)

• Vice-President of Marketing , Martin Frome and Associates Kansas City, Mo.

• Managed Non-Profit organizations from 1999-2002

I guess I am at a lost as to what this particular position's job description entails. Why is fund-raising a major criteria for this job???

I wouldn't hire a recent college graduate if they showed up naked with a bottle of single malt. Every time I have, I've been blessed with an employee high on the arrogance scale and low in the practical knowledge/smarts department. Never say never, but eeew. Give me a sadder but wiser, been around the block, pulled themselves up by the bootstraps person any time.

I wouldn't hire a recent college graduate if they showed up naked with a bottle of single malt. Every time I have, I've been blessed with an employee high on the arrogance scale and low in the practical knowledge/smarts department. Never say never, but eeew. Give me a sadder but wiser, been around the block, pulled themselves up by the bootstraps person any time.

There is the occasional gem, but in general, a lot of recent college grad's think that they actually learned something useful in those 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 years they spent in the ivy. They actually believe what they've "learned" from those professors who often have less real world experience then their students.

Two well known Florida politicians (and growing number of national ones) have been quietly working toward a policy of "Universal National Service." The idea is that everyone get's to give something back to our beautiful country when they reach the age of majority. When you reach 18 or 21 or wherever the age is set, everybody goes off and serves their country for a couple of years. There are lots of places where strong backs and developing brains are needed. This wouild take care of our military needs (along with the career military folk), cut the number of police needed by at least 1/3, help maintain and improve our parks, and staff our social service agencies.

It would give you young fold a chance to do something good after trade school...make your commitment to our government and community stronger.

Think of how different things might have turned out in Iraq if Jenna and Babs had been required to join the Marines instead of going out drinking and cutting the fool.

So, this assumes that if one doesnt serve in the military, than they dont give anything back to the country? Give me a break. There have been more young people do so much for charities, volunteer programs, etc than many "older" people have done.

Again, thats the old school mentality that "nothing has changed since 1950" and "when I was your age."

Commitment to government and community? I can just about guarantee that I did more for our government and the people of this state before I graduated college than you and a majority of you old folk have done to this day. And if we count what has happened since I graduated college, I will guarantee I have done more. Thats whats sad about you old folk, you think what you see on MTV and what not is how we actually are. Give me a break.

If Jennifer and Barbara served in Iraq, it would change nothing. And if you think about what a majority of your age people did in the 70's, their drinking story doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

Now, please dont go 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane. Thanks.

So, this assumes that if one doesnt serve in the military, than they dont give anything back to the country? Give me a break. There have been more young people do so much for charities, volunteer programs, etc than many "older" people have done.

Again, thats the old school mentality that "nothing has changed since 1950" and "when I was your age."

Commitment to government and community? I can just about guarantee that I did more for our government and the people of this state before I graduated college than you and a majority of you old folk have done to this day. And if we count what has happened since I graduated college, I will guarantee I have done more. Thats whats sad about you old folk, you think what you see on MTV and what not is how we actually are. Give me a break.

If Jennifer and Barbara served in Iraq, it would change nothing. And if you think about what a majority of your age people did in the 70's, their drinking story doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

Now, please dont go 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I would highly suggest you re-read my post and the posts leading up to it for detail before you make accusations like that my friend. I am probably one of the biggest proponents of the military on Urban Planet's boards.

Had you taken the time to look into the post, rather than reading what you wanted to read out of it you would find that I did infact mean what TJ suggests.

Im referring to the middle and high school students not old enough to serve in the military but still find ways to serve others and country by raising money for causes, having food drives, or sending care packages to troops overseas.

Im talking about the young women and mothers who take time to participate in organizations like the Junior League to do great things for communities and children.

Im talking about families who adopt other families so on Christmas morning their children will have a gift under the tree to wake up to and a nice meal to enjoy that people like us take for granted.

Im not saying that one is any greater than the other. Its a circle of events that young people are a part of that make this country great, rather than asserting that young people dont serve their country at all as posted earlier (again, read all posts leading up to mine, and you would have understood its context).

So, if I were you, I would probably stare hard into my monitor to find the reflection of the real jerk here.

But what do I know, Im even younger than you.

Thanks for your service.

Disrespecting the way those men & women fight for our country is sacreligious. If it wasn't for the thousands of men & women who put their lives on the line to make sure we can enjoy life, we wouldn't even be here. Shout out to everyone in the Army (what I'm in), Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, and any other miltary branch holding it down overseas. You folk get my respect.

Reflection is over, and you're still a jerk. You're giving equal, or close, credit to people who do food drives and mythical care packages to those that voluntarily put themselves in harms way. How exactly do you contribute to society? TJ since you want to be a smartass, how exactly have you ever giving to society?

I realize that nobody here cares (mainly because they don't have the balls to join in the first place), but even though you don't think so this is highly insulting to combat vets.

Archived