Downtown

Florida

Florida Sells Tallahassee some Downtown Property

Remember the 10 Bids the city recieved from developers to build in downtown Tallahassee not long ago?

Well, it seems things may take a huge leap forward soon in making somebody's vision come true... the city now owns a prime spot downtown, just across from the education building, where it wants to see a top notch hotel, and some mixed use development among other things to keep Tallahassee Vibin' long into the night.

[url=http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/13234051.htm]Read the Article here, from the Tallahassee Democrat

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If for no other reason, its a beautiful building that should be preserved. Its similar to Leon High School in style, and is significant to many elder Tallahasseeans who once went there.

I'd like to see the School Board move into the building and use it as their Downtown office... this could be the location for school board meetings, and possibly the location of the Superintendant's office... he or she would be more accessable to the citizens downtown.

The bids come from 10 very well respected Florida Development firms. I had the privledge of looking at each company's background information, and some of the projects they've successfully completed in the past and I can safely say any of them would make excellent choices.

Now there are 4 or 5 prime locations they've each proposed to build on. There is strong interest in the property the city just aquired.

There was one proposal called CityView from a nice firm, that seems to want to possibly add some "affordable" to the downtown condo inventory... atleast according to what I could read of it. That may be one to follow... I wish I could remember the different company names. When I get back to Tallahassee I'll look thru my files for the companies... I made copies of some of the information for my own records.

There was also a company that seems to want to take an entire block or so and do one of those "city within a city" deals... I say seems because that's what the background information emphasized... it would only seem logical to stick with what they are good at. They were a South Florida firm... and I do have their info at home.

Great question... this'll be fun to dig into.

• 2 months later...

Good Room for Growth

After 180 years, it seems Tallahassee's downtown is finally starting to come together. I've taken the time to put together a map that highlights properties already developed, those under development, proposed projects, and sites likely to be developed in the near future. As you will see, our downtown still has plenty of room for growth as large parcels still remain undeveloped OR have been put up for sale by their owners. The city was right to choose Gaines Street as a focal point for developent, because as you will see, Gaines Street stands to change the most over the next few years with the most available property up for grabs.

Here's a map of how I see things... there may be holes of course as I'm not perfect at this, but from what I see, we still have opportunities to put together a masterpiece.

post-3748-1140376297_thumb.jpg

post-3748-1140376297_thumb.jpg

Impressive map and work there TJ.

Questions:

What is proposed for the corner of Park and Monroe?

The blue parcels w/orange strips...does that mean developed land that is for sale?

Your red line boundary? Is that an official designation of DT Tally and if so by who? Is that the CRA boundaries? Or what just curious.

Impressive map and work there TJ.

Questions:

What is proposed for the corner of Park and Monroe?

The blue parcels w/orange strips...does that mean developed land that is for sale?

Your red line boundary? Is that an official designation of DT Tally and if so by who? Is that the CRA boundaries? Or what just curious.

There should actually be a smaller green box there at Park Avenue and Monroe... its the Diamond at Monroe LLC that Juana Jordan first reported on sometime in October I believe, of 2005. Basically a Mixed Use office Building similar to the Highpoint Center.

Blue parcels with Orange strips are properties that are developed and likely to be available for redevelopment in the near future.

The red line boundary is my arbitrary look at our downtown's boundaries.

Great Questions!! :D

Good Room for Growth

After 180 years, it seems Tallahassee's downtown is finally starting to come together. I've taken the time to put together a map that highlights properties already developed, those under development, proposed projects, and sites likely to be developed in the near future. As you will see, our downtown still has plenty of room for growth as large parcels still remain undeveloped OR have been put up for sale by their owners. The city was right to choose Gaines Street as a focal point for developent, because as you will see, Gaines Street stands to change the most over the next few years with the most available property up for grabs.

Here's a map of how I see things... there may be holes of course as I'm not perfect at this, but from what I see, we still have opportunities to put together a masterpiece.

thanks for the map tj. question, i thought fsu master plan called for extending the south side of the campus to gaines st. ? do you know fsu's plans? do they plan on buying these parcels up for sale? what is being proposed at palm court?

thanks

g

thanks for the map tj. question, i thought fsu master plan called for extending the south side of the campus to gaines st. ? do you know fsu's plans? do they plan on buying these parcels up for sale? what is being proposed at palm court?

thanks

g

found it, the village at call and macomb. this land is part of fsu's master plan of expansion to macomb. will the city allow this? any thoughts?

The City has allowed for the rezoning of the property that "The Village" will sit on. I personally spoke at the public hearing in which the commission voted on this issue, I believe the board passed the PUD request 5-0. FSU says they made an offer to purchase the property, but the price was too high. The school has plans to acquire property south of campus, but I don't expect it to go as far south as Gaines Street... I believe the road is being reserved for private investment.

The City has allowed for the rezoning of the property that "The Village" will sit on. I personally spoke at the public hearing in which the commission voted on this issue, I believe the board passed the PUD request 5-0. FSU says they made an offer to purchase the property, but the price was too high. The school has plans to acquire property south of campus, but I don't expect it to go as far south as Gaines Street... I believe the road is being reserved for private investment.

thanks tj, when will they start developing the site?

g

"The school has plans to acquire property south of campus, but I don't expect it to go as far south as Gaines Street... I believe the road is being reserved for private investment."

FSU already owns a good amount of land on Gaines Street, and still there is a lot FSU doesn't own. So it is tough to say it would be reserved for private investment. Especially from the stadium to Gay Street....I doubt that is ever mainly private investment. FSU has too many spots taken there for much to happen.

I know of a select one or two parcels FSU owns along Gaines Street... but the majority of the available land will likely go for private development.

Well the biggest is, of course, the IM fields.

Between Madison Street and Gaines Street I see this:

Parcel ID: [1] 2135204230000

Owner: [1] TIITF

Owner (p2): [1]

Owner (p3): [1] 3900 COMMONWEALTH BLVD

Owner (p4): [1] MSC 115

Owner (p5): [1] TALLAHASSEE FL 32399

Legal: [1] 35 1N 1W .92 A

Legal (p2): [1] KERR SURVEY WEST PART OF

Legal (p3): [1] LOTS 35 & 40 S OF MADISON & N

Legal (p4): [1] OF G F & A MAINLINE

Legal (p5): [1] OR 1608/1608

Legal (p6): [1]

Site Address (GIS): [1] W MADISON ST

Parcel ID: [1] 213570 D0010

Owner: [1] TIITF

Owner (p2): [1]

Owner (p3): [1] % FL DEPT OF ENV PROTECTI

Owner (p4): [1] 3900 COMMONWEALTH BLVD

Owner (p5): [1] BUILDING 115

Legal: [1] MOOR SUB

Legal (p2): [1] 35 1N 1W 1.75 A

Legal (p3): [1] PART OF BLOCKS D & E

Legal (p4): [1] OR 377/356 659/481 740/812 2085/961

Legal (p5): [1]

Legal (p6): [1]

Site Address (GIS): [1] 715 W MADISON ST

The rest are all very small lots minus the lumber yard. There just isn't a majority land owner here. IF there is it is FSU with the IM field and these two lots. The COT has a couple of small ones and an odd shaped oen that looks like old rail road tracks.

Should be interesting to see what really happens to this area.

• 9 months later...

And it would also seem more logical to me to build income producing properties in the face of rising construction cost. You can't expect people to pay these unreasonable prices for these condominiums when they can go purchase a home with a yard somewhere else. Having these as income producing properties would allow the developer to bring in some sort of cash flow for a period of say 5-10 yrs, then allow him (or her) to sell the property to and profit from the return on the sale. A fully leased income producing property would be a very attractive buy to any investor. Furthermore, with FSU looking for ways to grow, and our need for more student housing around campus that would allow students to walk rather than drive they should be supporting mutli-story development similar to the previously proposed Place Properties apartments along Gaines Street.

PlaceProperties1.jpg

Place Properties Proposed building the complex above earlier this year, the proposal was rejected by the city because developer was building bed units, instead of apartment units.

If I'm coming to Tallahassee to live for a short period of time, I'd much rather rent a condominium in a tower like the Tallahassee Center, or Plaza Tower rather than own it. I think if these were FOR RENT, there would be 10 cranes in the air right now building towers the size of the Plaza Tower. I believe that's where the demand is going to be.

Question: My memory seems to be shot on this one.......After they put up the big American flag at the Park Plaza Hotel (Old Radisson) did they light it up at night for awhile? Currently it is NOT lighted at night and for some reason I thought they use to do that?????? I'm almost embarrassed to ask that question since I probably pass by that location several times day or night.

Great Article TJ :thumbsup: . To me Great Lighting and Signage go Hand-and-Hand!! Downtown is a dark place at night. You pass by a lot of things and not even notice unless you are Familiar with downtown.

Want to see some COOOL signage?? Take a look at the new "Bronze and Beyond" sign on the new plaza located Next to Old M

I'm going to have to get over there and take a shot of that, mracca

Poonther, I don't know if the flag pole was lit. I don't think I ever saw that, but I may not have paid it much attention. I was just happy to see something take place of all of that rust that used to be up there.

Archived