Downtown

Florida

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMHO you had never been to Tallahassee or Mobile and were asked to try to separate the two by just looking at the pictures, you would not know the difference. Besides the Tunnel, a few tall buildings and the bridge. Both look very similar....... at least by the pictures.

Anyone know what and where this addition to First Baptist is going on their already heavily built block? It doesn't say anything about a demolition, so I am ASSuming this a new addition only. The only place on that parcel I know that they build on is the middle part where they drive cars through. This comes before COT review today (7.26)

First Baptist Church, Tallahassee (TPA070066) (21-36-25-183-1705) located on 2.03 acres at 108 West College Avenue. The proposed project is the construction of an additional 20,211 sq. ft. to the existing buildings. The property is zoned RO (Targeted Retail/Office Growth Area) and SCD (Special Character District).

Anyone know what and where this addition to First Baptist is going on their already heavily built block? It doesn't say anything about a demolition, so I am ASSuming this a new addition only. The only place on that parcel I know that they build on is the middle part where they drive cars through. This comes before COT review today (7.26)

First Baptist Church, Tallahassee (TPA070066) (21-36-25-183-1705) located on 2.03 acres at 108 West College Avenue. The proposed project is the construction of an additional 20,211 sq. ft. to the existing buildings. The property is zoned RO (Targeted Retail/Office Growth Area) and SCD (Special Character District).

Picture2.png

They have the block fully occupied. On the North end there is some surface parking underneath a large building (a gym maybe?). Maybe they are going to be enclosing that, but I would think that would create some zoning problems. If they continued with that theme though, they might build some space on a deck over the open parking in the middle of the property.

• 4 weeks later...

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Minor Downtown Projects

Looks like work continues on Tallahassee's own City Hall building. Last I heard they were working on the roof.

CityHallTallahasseeFlorida.jpg

TallahasseeCityHall.jpg

Also reporting a new restaurant going in where Kool Grindz used to be.

Introducing: Urbane Restaurant Grille and Bar

UrbaneBuilding.jpg

UrbanceRestaurantandBarParkAvenueDo.jpg

OpeningSoonUrbaneRestaurantandBarPa.jpg

OpeningSoonUrbaneRestaurantandBarDo.jpg

The website advertised on the door banner is not active. Hopefully we'll be able to get more details soon.

• 1 month later...

Downtown Ideas

A Visit to Panama City reveals a few simple ideas for Downtown Redevelopment

I drove Highway 20 almost 2 hours to the cities of Panama City Beach, and Panama City and I had the pleasure to catch some pictures of Panama City's downtown area. It seemed to be situated along one street, with some slight spillover onto other nearby streets. Here's what I saw:

PanamaCity163.jpg

I love the signage as a gateway into their downtown.

PanamaCity162.jpg

PanamaCity166.jpg

These markings were in poles located throughout their downtown. Another way to designate the downtown from other nearby areas.

PanamaCity171.jpg

Love the man-hole covers.

PanamaCity167.jpg

Signs such as these also help to designate their downtown. I know Tallahassee has them, maybe we should redesign them and put them all around the downtown so people will know the true boundaries of our CBD.

PanamaCity174.jpg

Nice use of plants to engage with the blank sides of buildings. We've got many places we could do something similar.

PanamaCity173.jpg

Sidewalk shops

PanamaCity184.jpg

Low traffic allows store patrons some street level parking.

PanamaCity181.jpg

Nice downtown restaurant frontage

PanamaCity195.jpg

Downtown Movie Theater and Color downtown

PanamaCity191.jpg

PanamaCity189.jpg

PanamaCity188.jpg

Young men riding bike

PanamaCity187.jpg

PanamaCity201.jpg

Downtown Sitting Plaza

PanamaCity199.jpg

PanamaCity209.jpg

PanamaCity207.jpg

Nice rustic downtown look. Would be great for the Gaines Street area.

PanamaCity205.jpg

Brown Street signs downtown. Also useful to designate the area.

PanamaCity203.jpg

PanamaCity214.jpg

A nice time keeping device downtown.

PanamaCity212.jpg

PanamaCity210.jpg

PanamaCity217.jpg

PanamaCity229.jpg

Classic car show hosted downtown.

Thank you for the pictures of PC. I went there last weekend for the Thunder Beach Motorcycle run, and Loved it! I never really went there to play, it was always for business. Downtown is really nice. Its simple but a lot to look at and notice, not over whelming to were cant appreciate anything.

I wish we had a colorful Theater (Shows or Movies) down town like this one above or like Jacksonville. I think it makes the area more vibrant and come alive, expecially at night. Pluss it jazzes up the other near-by business as well, like Pubs, pool halls and restraunts.

Ah downtown PC, a place I'm very familiar. Ten years ago their downtown was a dump and a high crime area since Harrison Ave (the end of US 231) basically dead-ends into the marina/bay there. While they still have a long way to go, they've done a great job w/the plantings, signage and general sprucing up of downtown. You know I love the Mex. Fan Palms down there. :) Of course that would never work here b/c when I mentioned at my last GGG meeting that part of the plantings going in on Gaines will be Sabal Palms (Cabbage Palms/the State Tree) many folks stated this is the Red Hills regions and we should plant more native stuff along the street like Crappy Myrtles. :rolleyes: FYI: Sabals are native here, yes even in the red hills and Crappy Myrtles are native to Asia.

Anyway, Tally did have two old movie theatres downtown back when I lived here for college in the 80's. One was on College Ave where the Highpoint Center is now and the other was on N. Monroe across from the Tennyson...there's a newer brick bldg. there now.

Good shot of the Fiesta Room there FL! That is probably North Fl's oldest and most notorious gay bar.

Thank you for the pictures of PC. I went there last weekend for the Thunder Beach Motorcycle run, and Loved it! I never really went there to play, it was always for business. Downtown is really nice. Its simple but a lot to look at and notice, not over whelming to were cant appreciate anything.

I wish we had a colorful Theater (Shows or Movies) down town like this one above or like Jacksonville. I think it makes the area more vibrant and come alive, expecially at night. Pluss it jazzes up the other near-by business as well, like Pubs, pool halls and restraunts.

Ah downtown PC, a place I'm very familiar. Ten years ago their downtown was a dump and a high crime area since Harrison Ave (the end of US 231) basically dead-ends into the marina/bay there. While they still have a long way to go, they've done a great job w/the plantings, signage and general sprucing up of downtown. You know I love the Mex. Fan Palms down there. :) Of course that would never work here b/c when I mentioned at my last GGG meeting that part of the plantings going in on Gaines will be Sabal Palms (Cabbage Palms/the State Tree) many folks stated this is the Red Hills regions and we should plant more native stuff along the street like Crappy Myrtles. :rolleyes: FYI: Sabals are native here, yes even in the red hills and Crappy Myrtles are native to Asia.

Anyway, Tally did have two old movie theatres downtown back when I lived here for college in the 80's. One was on College Ave where the Highpoint Center is now and the other was on N. Monroe across from the Tennyson...there's a newer brick bldg. there now.

Good shot of the Fiesta Room there FL! That is probably North Fl's oldest and most notorious gay bar.

Of course that would never work here b/c when I mentioned at my last GGG meeting that part of the plantings going in on Gaines will be Sabal Palms (Cabbage Palms/the State Tree) many folks stated this is the Red Hills regions and we should plant more native stuff along the street like Crappy Myrtles. :rolleyes: FYI: Sabals are native here, yes even in the red hills and Crappy Myrtles are native to Asia.

UP{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}downtown News!

Grande {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Floridian Block (Old BP)

A developer is giving the corner where the Old BP station used to be at Tennessee and Monroe some serious consideration. So far as to submit a few sketches/renderings to the city (where Booth Properties previously proposed building the Floridian{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Grande). Supposedly said developer is planning some sort of mixed use commercial / market rate apartment building. No clues given as to who this developer may be.

Also Very Important

The city and the county have revised an intra-local agreement involving the Downtown CRA. This agreement basically lifts a restriction off of the way the CRA money can be used. Prior to June of this year, the city could not offer any type of incentive to retailers/businesses seeking to rent space downtown, money went only to those who were buying. Now the city is in the process of spreading the word. They've gotten to word out to the developers of buildings going up in the downtown area, and soon hope to launch a marketing campaign regarding this positive change.

Ruth Chris

The Ruth Chris people have decided not to join the numbers downtown.... yet. They do what is called a Drive-time analysis -- looking at potential market areas based on how long it takes a person to drive somewhere in real life. They would like to see a greater mass of people living within a 10 minute drive of downtown with household incomes in excess of $50,000. Currently our roads can't deliver this market for them and the downtown residential development isn't yet in place to deliver it either. Based on the figures given to me by a very credible source, it would seem Ruth Chris would be drawn to the North East side of town.

All interesting news FL!

My hope is that our fair city will finally be rid of the blight that is the old BP station. Why the sign code permits the shell of the old BP signs to remain is beyond belief to me. I've had to call code enforcement twice this summer just to get the grass/weeds cut. I pass this location almost daily and what an eyesore it is. When I've mentioned this eyesore to city staff/officials they state it meets code requirements. That's when I tell them that while it may meet requirements, all that means to me is that our requirements in these matters are too lax and should be tightened up. That's when I get that all too familiar blank stare. :huh:

The CRA money revision is a very positive and important step. Hopefully they'll get the word out to all about the revision.

Sorry to hear RC won't be downtown. At one time weren't they looking at the old Winn-Dixie site on Timberlane?

I blame the old BP and the large pool of standing water there for the swarms of mosquitos my front porch was plagued with this summer. I went around our complex and made sure we weren't the cause, but they got worse as you walked toward Tennessee, so that's where I directed my itchy anger.

I blame the old BP and the large pool of standing water there for the swarms of mosquitos my front porch was plagued with this summer. I went around our complex and made sure we weren't the cause, but they got worse as you walked toward Tennessee, so that's where I directed my itchy anger.

I know exactly where he is, but I'm not tellin'. :) I will say that you guys are close, but not correct. I don't know however why he calls the place "The Fives." BTW: Where's the Radisson?

FL, I tend to call the folks over at code enforcement so much they probably recognize me not only by name but also by phone number. Usually they respond pretty quickly (well except for signage problems) like a week or so ago I called them about waist high grass in the big triangular median at Gadsden and 7th. I was pleased to see that w/in two days of my call, they had mowed it clean. I usually call about obvious infractions, so there's little room for argument.

You know me, I'm not afraid to speak up at the podium in front of others at a commission meeting, but do you think as an un-agenda-ed item, it would do any good beyond blank stares and friendly lip-service?

^ Florida, I've never really felt the Commissioners took any of the unagended speakers very serious. After the usual marathon meetings, they always seem to be half listening and packing up their stuff while looking at their watches. I think it would be better to get on the agenda so you can speak at an earlier time.

^ Poonther, I've never thought about calling code enforcement before...I usually call a specific department within the Public Works Division. I must say, they respond in a timely fashion too. I'll have to remember the Code Enforcement angle next time I have an issue.

Poonther, Glenn, Do you guys think you can get some of these contacts posted here on UP so we can call when we notice certain things?It may also help if you can give us some tips on what to look for so we don't call for the wrong reason. I'd hate to cry wolf if the problem isn't so bad and make it difficult for you all to be taken seriously when something truly bad is afoot. :)

Archived