Downtown

Florida

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately Florida, there are no where near as many people downtown that have invested the type of time and $$ that the Southwood residents have on the vision that was sold to them. Until the powers that be on Downtown/Gaines get some involvement and seek not only input, but active participation in the real decision-making from the few people/business leaders that have some real investment down there, we're not going to see the same type of "fight". Like you've mentioned before in our previous conversations- many of the individuals responsible for getting the wheels in motion and making big decisions for Gaines/Downtown don't live or work Downtown, so with very little "investment" to lose, how worked-up do you really think they're going to get if a proposed vision isn't carried through to fruition (or is just drug out for years and years)?

Your argument illustrates a sad reality for Tallahassee's people. Not the fact that few of us actually have something vested in Downtown, but the fact that few of us realize we do. Any person who owns/buys a home in Tallahassee has brought into a vision that was sold us. Just as the Town Center on a micro-scale is the heart of the Southwood Community, Downtown, on a larger scale is the soul of Tallahassee. We were all promised in some form or fashion, a clean, charming, vibrant, 18-hour downtown, that would emphasize Tallahassee's character as the Capital City of Florida, the home of great Colleges and Universities, the site of several American and Florida Historic events, a place of hospitality, and brilliant minds.

Just as the various sections within Southwood are forming mostly according to plan, so are the outlying areas of the Greater City. The challenge is to get the Core, the heart, to beat to a prescribed rhythm. We've got the plans without the dollars to implement many of them. I simply wish we could come together as a greater community to remove impediments, and push toward this vision of a more complete downtown for our fine capital city.

I agree that most of us have been privy to many promises and representations about what our Downtown will eventually become, but b/c there aren't nearly as many people there living and working on a day-to-day basis, it unfortunately becomes easier and easier to let the days pass without any real action. I do still think the Downtown scenario (and "fight" you mention) would be a lot different if we had hundreds of newly-invested condo residents already downtown that bought homes in reliance on the proclaimed vision for Downtown, but b/c the majority of the units are either unoccupied and/or rentals (lobbyists, etc.), the owners don't have the same perspective as the Southwood residents who are faced with the reality of seeing an apartment complex go up in a space where other uses were represented to be coming.

Honestly Florida, I don't know what the answer is to getting everyone (besides us UP'ers of course :thumbsup: ) motivated and behind a push to jump-start that heart you speak of......I know you said that we've got plans but not the dollars to implement them, but I still think that there is a lot more that could be done on the private side with more community dialogue among the various downtown property owners and true stakeholders to get things moving. We shouldn't be so dependent upon the city to inspire a shared vision when it's going to be the Downtown residents/business owners and citizens of Tallahassee that will be the ones responsible for making it a reality. Just my two cents.....

How effective do you think the Downtown Merchants and Business Association is at pushing for some positive change (i.e.: More stores, restaurants, barber shops, hair salons, book stores, markets) that will catch our eye and bring more people into downtown? I was childishly optimistic about our chances of having more variety in retail downtown after the Tennyson, Tallahassee Center, and Marriott structures were built, yet beside the Hometown Coffeehouse at the Tallahassee Center, few things have changed.

Is the DMBA an impediment to downtown's progress? Would it help to have some established national chains spark interest in downtown again?

You speak of not having many people working/living Downtown, let's not forget the over 30,000 employees within a 1 mile radius. :D

The people that are starting businesses, developing (i.e., All Saints and the condos), and moving downtown (myself included) right now are taking the same type of leap of faith that GG and SouthwoodResident took a couple of years ago- in this case hoping that our distinguished leaders (both elected and appointed) will take the necessary actions to deliver on the promises of a vibrant Downtown. Unfortunately, given that there are multiple forces for the Downtown 'plan' that we need to cooperate (private landowners, business owners, city, county, and FSU) rather than just a single developer (like St. Joe), it is that much more difficult to deliver. Hopefully they will deliver, because there are a lot of us going all-in before the flop........ :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I see it happening downtown. Unfortunately, our downtown isn't much more than a goverment complex. Too many of those condos are being bought by people coming in for the legislative session or a football game, but who otherwise leave. We'd be happy with condos in the Town Center, built at the density established in the original development order.

• 1 month later...

Making a Mall of Downtown...

I did so much shopping this weekend in the malls, I almost lost my mind. There were people everywhere. I've been crowded by people at football games... my shopping experience felt the same. No wonder people talk so negatively about shopping around the holidays.

This brings me to my thought of reclaiming some of the foot traffic and retail/restaurant business for our Downtown. While I've got this chain of thought going, I thought I would run it by my good buddies here on UrbanPlanet to get your ideas first.

What Mall Retailers/Restaurants would work well downtown? Were talking in terms of catering to our downtown employees, state legislature, courts, attorneys, associations, hotels, library, universities, tourists, and Tallahassee residents.

Here's what I think:

Service Oriented Stores:

• Sprint/Nextel

• Alltel

• Verizon

• AT&T

• T-Mobile

• Embarq

• Comcast

Knowing how it is to be an employee downtown, I think there should be at least an authorized retailer downtown to take service requests for the above mentioned companies. We would be able to buy cell phone accessories, replace broken parts/phones, stop in for a quick question about our service, subscribe to new services, without having to fumble with the internet. The idea would be to get people interacting again. Even if it's something similar to a Gray Wireless, or Radio Shack, I'd take it.

Clothing:

• Talbots (For the Ladies, unless there's a locally owned store that has a reputation similar to Nic's Toggery for the Women)

• Shoe Station (Everyone needs shoes, the Shoe Station in the Killearn Area is a fine example of a shoe store for all tastes)

• Express (Modern, professional clothing for someone who may be staying in a hotel downtown, and need something nice to wear. For the employee who would like to shop on her lunch break, for the times when you spill something on your shirt right before a presentation.)

• Express Men (Modern, professional clothing for someone who may be staying in a hotel downtown, and need something nice to wear. For the employee who would like to shop on his lunch break, for the times when you spill something on your shirt right before a presentation.)

• Victoria Secret (For all of those personal reasons, and it looks good from a window shoppers perspective.)

• Ann Taylor Loft (Another store to find that Professional or Casual outfit to wear).

• Coach (Find a purse or case for carrying all of those important legal documents and memos).

Gift Giving

• Hallmark (Face it, when someone gives you a card you flip it over to see if it's a Hallmark.)

• Godiva or similar chocolate store / Bakery

• Things Remembered or somewhere you can buy a customizable gift. Those professional types downtown love stuff with their name on it. They'll keep them forever.

• CD Warehouse or Comp. (Nothing like finding a CD at a fair price / They sell DVDs too and seem to be locally owned franchises.)

Food

A downtown needs more than casual dining restaurants. What about something for the person on the go!? I'd propose the following:

[*]Chick-Fil-A

[*]McDonald's / Wendy's / BK

[*]Subway / Quizno's / Firehouse

[*]Pizza By the Slice Place

This would be a draw for not only downtown employees but University students/staff, tourists, and week enders. Something such as this could be centered about Kleman Plaza and run east west along College Avenue or scattered about. I think because of the terrain of our downtown, the closer these establishments are to one another, the more successful they will be. Our downtown isn't walker friendly because of the way everything is spread apart and the hills, but given the infusion of the above mentioned stores, those distances will appear to shrink and people would be more likely to take the plunge. Further, this gets us out of our cars and onto the buses, sidewalks, and bike lanes.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Making a Mall of Downtown...

I did so much shopping this weekend in the malls, I almost lost my mind. There were people everywhere. I've been crowded by people at football games... my shopping experience felt the same. No wonder people talk so negatively about shopping around the holidays.

This brings me to my thought of reclaiming some of the foot traffic and retail/restaurant business for our Downtown. While I've got this chain of thought going, I thought I would run it by my good buddies here on UrbanPlanet to get your ideas first.

What Mall Retailers/Restaurants would work well downtown? Were talking in terms of catering to our downtown employees, state legislature, courts, attorneys, associations, hotels, library, universities, tourists, and Tallahassee residents.

Here's what I think:

Service Oriented Stores:

• Sprint/Nextel

• Alltel

• Verizon

• AT&T

• T-Mobile

• Embarq

• Comcast

Knowing how it is to be an employee downtown, I think there should be at least an authorized retailer downtown to take service requests for the above mentioned companies. We would be able to buy cell phone accessories, replace broken parts/phones, stop in for a quick question about our service, subscribe to new services, without having to fumble with the internet. The idea would be to get people interacting again. Even if it's something similar to a Gray Wireless, or Radio Shack, I'd take it.

Clothing:

• Talbots (For the Ladies, unless there's a locally owned store that has a reputation similar to Nic's Toggery for the Women)

• Shoe Station (Everyone needs shoes, the Shoe Station in the Killearn Area is a fine example of a shoe store for all tastes)

• Express (Modern, professional clothing for someone who may be staying in a hotel downtown, and need something nice to wear. For the employee who would like to shop on her lunch break, for the times when you spill something on your shirt right before a presentation.)

• Express Men (Modern, professional clothing for someone who may be staying in a hotel downtown, and need something nice to wear. For the employee who would like to shop on his lunch break, for the times when you spill something on your shirt right before a presentation.)

• Victoria Secret (For all of those personal reasons, and it looks good from a window shoppers perspective.)

• Ann Taylor Loft (Another store to find that Professional or Casual outfit to wear).

• Coach (Find a purse or case for carrying all of those important legal documents and memos).

Gift Giving

• Hallmark (Face it, when someone gives you a card you flip it over to see if it's a Hallmark.)

• Godiva or similar chocolate store / Bakery

• Things Remembered or somewhere you can buy a customizable gift. Those professional types downtown love stuff with their name on it. They'll keep them forever.

• CD Warehouse or Comp. (Nothing like finding a CD at a fair price / They sell DVDs too and seem to be locally owned franchises.)

Food

A downtown needs more than casual dining restaurants. What about something for the person on the go!? I'd propose the following:

[*]Chick-Fil-A

[*]McDonald's / Wendy's / BK

[*]Subway / Quizno's / Firehouse

[*]Pizza By the Slice Place

This would be a draw for not only downtown employees but University students/staff, tourists, and week enders. Something such as this could be centered about Kleman Plaza and run east west along College Avenue or scattered about. I think because of the terrain of our downtown, the closer these establishments are to one another, the more successful they will be. Our downtown isn't walker friendly because of the way everything is spread apart and the hills, but given the infusion of the above mentioned stores, those distances will appear to shrink and people would be more likely to take the plunge. Further, this gets us out of our cars and onto the buses, sidewalks, and bike lanes.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I would agree with most everything you said here. I would delete Talbots, Express, and Express Men's from the list though. I know most women love Ann Taylor Loft (God knows this one has received plenty of my money since it opened), but I think a Banana Republic or something more along those lines would work better. From what I hear, Talbots is more for the older women. Thats just what I hear. Also, Ive personally never seen any suits from Express walking around at the Capitol. I think guys in general would prefer a department store, Mens Warehouse, or Nics type of place, (although Nics is an upper end store). Traditional suits never go out of style. Trendy suits do.

Also, add Starbucks...duh! ;)

I would agree with most everything you said here. I would delete Talbots, Express, and Express Men's from the list though. I know most women love Ann Taylor Loft (God knows this one has received plenty of my money since it opened), but I think a Banana Republic or something more along those lines would work better. From what I hear, Talbots is more for the older women. Thats just what I hear. Also, Ive personally never seen any suits from Express walking around at the Capitol. I think guys in general would prefer a department store, Mens Warehouse, or Nics type of place, (although Nics is an upper end store). Traditional suits never go out of style. Trendy suits do.

Great Suggestions Florida

Ive been thinking that a Ink Cartrige re-refill store would be good also.

Food

Chick-Fil-A

McDonald's / Wendy's / BK

Subway / Quizno's / Firehouse

Pizza By the Slice Place

I would have like to have seen Tijuana Flats located downtown instead of near Falls Chase. It would have been ideal for city workers and would have been closer to the college exp since their interior motif is usually centered around the towns theme (Capitol building, FSU Seminole and such).

I only added these links so you could see some of the pictures of the inside and out.

Westchase Town Center in Citrus Park, Florida

Great Suggestions Florida

Ive been thinking that a Ink Cartrige re-refill store would be good also.

Food

Chick-Fil-A

McDonald's / Wendy's / BK

Subway / Quizno's / Firehouse

Pizza By the Slice Place

I would have like to have seen Tijuana Flats located downtown instead of near Falls Chase.

Ya know... I thought about Men's warehouse and figured to exclude it because I didn't realize that Nic's is upper end. Add them. As far as Talbot's is concerned, aren't there some older women downtown that would like to shop at these places? Or do they not shop anymore?

on TV lately... I think that's a good call since we've already got the Men's Warehouse, and S&K.

Sure, there are "older" women downtown working as well. Im just thinking more of the demographics I see when walking around downtown during the week tend to be more young professional, young mother/workers. Know what I mean? It definitely would still be a good shop to have downtown though.

Plus, isnt there another Talbots out on Market Street? Or is that a different store?

Archived