Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asonj23

Ex-JEDC head lands at LandMar

Ex-JEDC head lands at LandMar

Wendland will consult on a Clay County job, not the Shipyards in Jacksonville.

By GREGORY RICHARDS, The Times-Union

Kirk Wendland left his job as executive director of the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission in late February, saying he wanted to find a post in the private sector after three years overseeing the city agency.

He has landed just such an opportunity, signing up as a consultant to LandMar Group, the development company that last month won City Council permission to build a $450 million complex of residences, offices and hotels at the Shipyards property downtown. The commission, as the city's economic development arm, had spent many months working with LandMar on the complex deal.

Wendland is not working on the Shipyards project but is instead consulting on Saratoga Springs, a 2,400-acre mixed-use development on the outskirts of Green Cove Springs in Clay County.

Click here for rest.

________________________________________________________________________________

I hope the contract agreement witht he city and Landmar didn't land Wendland a bigger paycheck. Something sounds a little fishy.

This sort of thing happens all of the time. You can work across the table from someone and get to know them. When it comes time to make a change, you call the people that you know. Plain and simple.

In any other circumstance, I would say that this looks fishy. In this case with all of the scrutiny that this thing was under from the City Council Auditor and such, there is no way any one person could have tried to push the deal through. Also, I don't think that using your instituional knowledge of JEDC inner workings to help get something through is bad either. It happend all of the time with retired military working in consultancy.

It looks like he got tired of public sector pay and went to where he could make some money.