The Metro Events Thread

baldy

Use this thread to post about various events going on in the city.

I'll start it off.

What?

Detroit Festival of the Arts

Official Site

Where?

Detroit's Midtown Cultural Center

When?

Friday, June 10th: 4pm-11pm

Saturday, June 11th: noon-11pm

Sunday, June 12th: noon-9pm

Cost?

Free!

You can also read an article in the free press here

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Allan for taking care of that!

Movie night @ the C-mart, huh? Great idea! Hopefully it turns out well and it isn't the Teletubbies :D . I don't know if I'll make it since I'm giving the walking tours that morning, but who knows.

The Preservation Wayne walking tours. Baldy, his wife, and I are all tour guides for the downtown tour. I'm there most Saturdays, although this weekend I'll be off doing other things, and I'm not sure about next weekend either. I will be on the tour on June 25th though.

What?

Tastefest

The Comerica TasteFest is a five-day outdoor food and entertainment festival in Detroit's New Center during the Fourth of July weekend. The event is a family affair which offers free national and local talent on four stages, over 40 Michigan restaurants selling "tastes" of their specialties, free stage shows, activities for children, and a marketplace of unique Detroit products and memorabilia. The Comerica TasteFest is free and open to the public.

Official Site

Where?

New Center Area - Detroit

When?

Thursday, June 30th - Monday July 4th

11:30am - 10:00pm Closes at 8:00pm on July 4th

Cost?

Free!

Come take the midtown one this weekend, then head up to the Arts Festival ;)

I can only speak for the downtown tour since that's the only one I have experience with. The size varies every week. The first weekend we had 26 people and last weekend was 2. Typically the group aren't very large which make the tour a lot more personable. I know for the 25th there is a large group signed up.

There are usually more people on the tours in August & September. For now the tour groups are pretty small. As Baldy said, last weekend there were two customers and four tour guides. On June 25th we've got a group of 16 students coming from the University of West Florida, so we will be splitting up into two groups that day. I will be leading one, while Baldy leads the other.

The skyscraper tour is the most popular walking tour, with 30+ people in attendance. The trip used to take you up to the roof of the Penobscot Building, but PW is not allowed up there anymore.

Note that the skyscraper tour is a Tuesday night after work tour, which cycle through 5 different tour (e.g. every 5th week, the tours repeat). The next skyscraper tour is next Tuesday, June 14th. I'm really going to try and make it down. Also, they are redoing the roof of the Penobscot, so no one is allowed up there anymore, not just PW! The observation deck used to be open to the public but because has been closed due to security concerns (there's no safety fence, you have to walk up several flights of stairs, ect). The PW tour is really the only to get up there.

The skyscraper tour is not broken into five parts. The Tuesday tours rotate, so the skyscraper tour is only held every fifth week. There are five different Tuesday Tours, as follows below. All Tuesday tours meet in the lobby of the Ponchartrain Hotel at 5:30 PM. I want to try to go on all the tours myself this season, so some of you might see me taking some of these tours. Bob Goldsmith usually leads the Tuesday after work tours, since he lives & works downtown.

Downtown Restaurants, Bars & Clubs: May 3, June 7, July 12, August 16, September 20

Downtown Skyscrapers: May 10, June 14, July 19, August 23, September 27

Downtown Buildings of Albert Kahn: May 17, June 21, July 26, August 30

Downtown Buildings of Louis Kamper: May 24, June 28, August 2, September 6

Downtown Sculptures, Fountains & Art: May 31, July 5, August 9, September 13

I'm surprised the Penob doesn't let PW go to the roof anymore. I've made quite a good relationship with the security desk personnel and have arranged it a few occassions. I've encountered the manager (not giving name) and communication ran into a road block. She can be a

witch.jpg

LOL @ Michi. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the owners were foreclosed on and the building is back up for sale? Who knows?

Zissou,

I have not been on that tour, but I doubt you'll be disappointed. The PW tours are very interesting. A lot of thought has been put into the tour routes, which are designed so that you see the most you possibly can see in a 3 hour time span. People have spent hours upon hours researching the different points of interest along the route. You get you money's worth, that's for sure.

Baldy informs me that the PW tours are normally about two hours long. The midtown tour this weekend was only about 1 hour & 45 minutes. The downtown tour is the "marathon tour," since it covers a much larger area and takes about three hours.

The skyscraper tour is also one of the longer tours - it usually finishes around 8:00 or a bit after, depending on the size of the group. The skyscraper tour is tomorrow night at 5:30. There is a very good chance that I will be there, since I am planning to use it as an excuse to go take photos in the city. I've already been on it, but why not go again?

The 1st Annual Arden Park and East Boston Historic District Home and Garden Tour featuring five vintage Homes and Gardens is scheduled for Saturday, July 16, 2005 from 11am. to 3pm. Tour tickets are $15.00. Parking is at Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament.

Request tickets: P.O. Box 02289, Detroit, MI 48202. Checks made payable to Arden Park-East Boston Association. Tickets will be mailed within 10 days of receipt of order. Ticket orders received after July 1 will be available for pick up the day of the tour in the church parking lot. Tickets may be purchased the day of the tour for $18 at 4747 Woodward Ave., Detroit, phone 313-596-2200. For complete tour information, call 313-873-0061.

Archived