Random Falls Park Photos

gs3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to get out when I can.  I don't always have a camera with though.  I've been so impressed with how great an impact the renovation to Falls Park has made on the rest of downtown.  It has been very nice in recent years, but is improving at an uncanny pace. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. When I used to come out on a Sunday, it was a ghost town. Since the park opened, there is activity 7 days a week. :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

Evidently something similar had happened in front of Post Cards from Paris / Carolina Triathlon about a week ago. Did anybody notice the light post had been uprooted? I didn't see what hit it, but it must have been a vehicle.

Yeah, I was walking downtown and saw it. I convinced my younger daughter (3) that my older daughter (11) knocked it over. That is what you call quality parenting.

• 2 weeks later...

A new sculpture has been installed at Falls Park at the Bowater side of the falls.

Whoa! Joel Shapiro!

Check out his exhibition at the Met.

This reminds me of this sculpture outside of the building where I spent most of my college hours. Now I wonder if this is by Joel Shapiro, too? I really don't know off hand, but I suspect it may be. :unsure:

Yet more proof that I simply don't "get" sculptures.

:wacko:

I'd rather see a plain old tree or water fountain or trashcan or statue of Jesse Jackson or something there other than that thing.

I was thinking the same thing until I went over there last night to have a look at it. While I was there, some families with young children crossed the Liberty Bridge. The kids started leaping, as if on cue. Their moms asked them what they were doing (saved me the question). Their reply was, "We're doing what that statue is doing!" I guess the kids get it. :huh:

143784557_0309a116a9.jpg

I am more of a realist guy, I guess. Give me a bronze statue of a couple kids and a dog playing in a puddle, and I'm happy. I can see the playfulness of the above statue, but I'd like to see a head on it.

I'm with you there. That spot would have made a fitting location for a statue of Colonel Richard Pearis, too. Perhaps a nice fountain? It's definitely, er, uh, ... what's the word? ... whimsical?

Agreed. This thing is very disappointing for such a prominent location. I totally understand the intrigue it presents as a work of art from a World-renowned artist, but there are many pieces I'd have prefered to see on this spot over this one. Oh well, guess that's what we get for giving the Liberty Bridge so much attention - a small but bold piece of metal that attempts to upstage the bridge. :rolleyes:

You know, the Nexus of Light and this Leaping Liberty thing should switch places. The Nexus is more subtle and wouldn't up-stage the Liberty Bridge. The Leaping thing would add a nice spash of color to the intersection of Augusta, Main, and River Streets. :thumbsup: Anybody got the City's ear on decisions like this? :whistling:

Edit: Not to mention, this Leaping thing, if you look at it from certain angles, rather mimics the directions that those three streets go. :rofl:

I'm with you there. That spot would have made a fitting location for a statue of Colonel Richard Pearis, too. Perhaps a nice fountain? It's definitely, er, uh, ... what's the word? ... whimsical?

I've always wondered if there would be any recognition of Pearis beyond Paris Mtn. I understand he left the continent in disgrace after fighting for the Tories during the war.

I'd say there is something more dissapointing than "Falls Lake Falls" now. HAHA :rofl:

Something tallers, grander, and with more volume to it would utilize the space better... it's rather dinky and small.

I like the Richard Pearis idea! fantastic location indeed!

I was thinking the same thing until I went over there last night to have a look at it. While I was there, some families with young children crossed the Liberty Bridge. The kids started leaping, as if on cue. Their moms asked them what they were doing (saved me the question). Their reply was, "We're doing what that statue is doing!" I guess the kids get it. :huh:

143784557_0309a116a9.jpg

Through the eyes of kids......if we could all keep that view as we mature...... :thumbsup:

Love this newest sculpture! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Archived