Best Southern Sports City

cooperdawg

Which major metropolitan southern city has the best sports atmosphere, college, pro, semi-pro etc. and why?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Which major metropolitan southern city has the best sports atmosphere, college, pro, semi-pro etc. and why?

• Atlanta
    • Birmingham
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Jacksonville
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans
    • Norfolk/Virginia Beach
    • Raleigh-Durham
    • Richmond
    • Tampa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can look at this from many different angles, but I picked Houston first and Raleigh-Durham second.

I really like Houston's two new stadiums for the Astros and the Texans. All three major sports teams are well supported and the Astros and Rockets have been pretty succesful over the years. I think the Texans could be an up and comer in the league in a year or two. While there are a lot of schools in the area, none of them are major impact players in the two big sports.

I like Raleigh for having three major universities there as well as the famous Durham Bulls. Oh, and there's a hockey team around somewhere? :rofl:

Historically if you're talking about all the sports and all the success they have  had in the 4 major sports than its gotta be Dallas. But this is about the 4 major team sports of the NFL, NBA, MLB,and NHL tho right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can be about the traditional four, pro, college, whatever. That's why I'm more curious about the why then about numbers. Generally though, I expect it to center around the big four sports as well as college football and basketball.

I picked Tampa mainly just because I am a Bucs fan, but what the heck... I'll make my argument. First off, I'm not a fan of college sports. Tampa has a great NFL stadium was ranked one of the best stadiums in the NFL by the players. The team also was the most recent non-New England team to win a Superbowl. Hockey also has a nice presence in Tampa (well... when hockey existed it did) and their team won the Stanley Cup. They have a MLB team and the sports fans down there are crazy. Probably not the best argument since I'm a Bucs fan and the correct answer is probably Dallas, but whatever!

How about a list of each of the major sporting events these cities have?

Off the top of my head Miami has:

NFL - Dolphins

MLB - Marlins

NBA - Heat

NHL - Panthers

Nascar - Homestead

Major College Sports - University of Miami

PGA Tour - Ford Championship at Doral

Tennis - Nasdaq 100

Marathon - Miami Tropical Marathon

How about a list of each of the major sporting events these cities have?

Off the top of my head Miami has:

NFL - Dolphins

MLB - Marlins

NBA - Heat

NHL - Panthers

Nascar - Homestead

Major College Sports - University of Miami

PGA Tour - Ford Championship at Doral

Tennis - Nasdaq 100

Marathon - Miami Tropical Marathon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If we're just throwing out what sports are in each city, here is Charlotte's profile.

NFL - Panthers

NBA - Bobcats

Minor League Hockey - Checkers

WNBA - Sting

NASCAR - Coca-Cola 600, Nextel All-Star Challenge, UAW-GM Quality 500

AAA Baseball - Knights

Golf - Wachovia Championship

College Basketball - Charlotte 49ers, Davidson Wildcats

Miami is probably the best Southern sports city, for reasons that Brickell listed. Great list! However, Miami has more than just the professional and college level sports, which also makes it the best. It has a numerous amount of opportunities for recreational sports that many inland cities do not have. Don't forget the annual boat races in Biscayne Bay. There is boating, sailing, waterskiing, swimming, surfing (not the best waves down there, but they try!), windsurfing, and scuba diving...quite a selection with the fantastic weather and warm waters.

Miami is probably the best Southern sports city, for reasons that Brickell listed. Great list! However, Miami has more than just the professional and college level sports, which also makes it the best. It has a numerous amount of opportunities for recreational sports that many inland cities do not have. Don't forget the annual boat races in Biscayne Bay. There is boating, sailing, waterskiing, swimming, surfing (not the best waves down there, but they try!), windsurfing, and scuba diving...quite a selection with the fantastic weather and warm waters.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My only knock against Miami is fan support of some of their better teams. The Florida Marlins, the Miami Hurricanes. Tradiotional winners that either never sell out games, or only if they're having a good season.

Other than that, great sports town, especially once you get away from the big time sports and think about sports recreation.

I agree with Cooper. I think a great sports city is not one that necessarily has the most sports options, but one that supports the teams it does have. I am not sure that Miami has a great record in this respect although they do have a lot of options (so interest is watered down) and most immigrants probably wouldnt care about football or hockey. This is why I picked Dallas b/c I think they support teams the most.

Anything beats the fair weather fans of Charlotte, NC. If the team isn't winning, the tickets aren't selling. I got some free panthers tickets from a stranger last season when the panthers were like 1-5. Nobody cared to see the games and people were selling $45 tickets for like ten bucks. When they turned it around and started doing good everyone flocked back. Can't stand that. Die hard Bucs fan for the past 14 years. I had to deal with nothing but double digit losses my whole life up until recently. Thats true fan support! Learn it Charlotte!

Anything beats the fair weather fans of Charlotte, NC. If the team isn't winning, the tickets aren't selling. I got some free panthers tickets from a stranger last season when the panthers were like 1-5. Nobody cared to see the games and people were selling $45 tickets for like ten bucks. When they turned it around and started doing good everyone flocked back. Can't stand that. Die hard Bucs fan for the past 14 years. I had to deal with nothing but double digit losses my whole life up until recently. Thats true fan support! Learn it Charlotte!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't argue with that. This is the most fair-weather city I've ever been in. I attribute some it to the amount of transplants, myself included. I grew up in SE PA and carried my love of all Philly teams down with me as did the numerous Steelers, Browns, Giants, Jets, etc. fans that populate this city. I root for the Panthers, but if they're playing the Eagles, I'll root for the Eagles.

I enjoy living here because I love college sports. I'm a short drive from a ton of the ACC Schools (VT, UNC, NCST, Duke, GT, Clemson, Wake), and being a VT alum, it's perfect location for me. South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee are also not far.

I agree with Cooper.  I think a great sports city is not one that necessarily has the most sports options, but one that supports the teams it does have.  I am not sure that Miami has a great record in this respect although they do have a lot of options (so interest is watered down) and most immigrants probably wouldnt care about football or hockey.  This is why I picked Dallas b/c I think they support teams the most.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see all of ya'll's points here. Granted, Miami does not have the best fans in the world...except for my beloved Dolphins, but I think that is from the original born and raised Floridians and the tradition that the Dolphins carry. The Marlins are improving in terms of fan support. Keep in mind that the Marlins might have better support if Huizenga hadn't bought a World-Series-winning team and completely destroyed it the very next year. That left a foul taste with many fans, including me.

In terms of sports fan support, I can see how Dallas can rank as the best in the South. The Cowboys were 1-15 one time and they still sold out games.

• 3 weeks later...

Dallas...the fan support is great, and the city keeps the teams happy, the mavs and stars just got a new arena 3 years ago, they are building a new stadium for the cowboys in arlington, and the rangers baseball stadium in arlington is also very nice

This is where these cities placed in The Sporting News 2004 "Best Sports Cities" list.

#4 Houston

#6 Miami

#8 Dallas

#13 Atlanta

#14 Tampa

#19 Nashville

#21 Charlotte

#22 New Orleans

#25 Raliegh-Durham

#30 Memphis

#45 Jacksonville

#49 Birmingham

#128 Richmond

#140 Norfolk

Being as I'm not a big pro sports fan -- the Raleigh area really has the most exciting sports scene on that list. NC State, UNC, and Duke football, basketball, baseball - all with top notch facilities and a great deal of history.

And we've got the AA Durham Bulls and the AAA Carolina Mudcats, along with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Being as I'm not a big pro sports fan -- the Raleigh area really has the most exciting sports scene on that list.  NC State, UNC, and Duke football, basketball, baseball - all with top notch facilities and a great deal of history. 

And we've got the AA Durham Bulls and the AAA Carolina Mudcats, along with the Carolina Hurricanes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word!!!

This is where these cities placed in The Sporting News 2004 "Best Sports Cities" list.

#4 Houston

#6 Miami

#8 Dallas

#13 Atlanta

#14 Tampa

#19 Nashville

#21 Charlotte

#22 New Orleans

#25 Raliegh-Durham

#30 Memphis

#45 Jacksonville

#49 Birmingham

#128 Richmond

#140 Norfolk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

who was voted #1???(im guessing it is NYC) or Boston

I'm going to toss in another vote for the Tampa Bay area. Reasons:

NFL Buccaneers - 2003 Super Bowl Champ, sell out every game

NHL Lightning - 2004 Stanley Cup Champ, frequent sellouts

MLB Devil Rays - can't win 'em all

AAA - Tampa Yankees

Spring Training for numerous ball clubs

Tennis - home to Mardy Fish, James Blake, Jennifer Capriati

PGA - Chrysler Championship at Innisbrook

Running - Bank of America Marathon, Gasparilla Distance Classic

Triathlon - St Anthony's Triathlon, numerous smaller races

NCAA - USF (first year in Big East)

Outback Bowl - held every January 1st

SuperBowl held in Tampa in 1984, 1991, 2001 and 2009

Soon to be hosts to ACC and SEC Basketball tourneys

Frequent host for NCAA Basketball tourney games

Horse racing - Tampa Bay Downs

Dog racing - Tampa Greyhound Track

Indy Car racing - Honda Grand Prix

and don't forget great fishing, boating, sailing, rowing, yada yada yada...

I can't believe they put Houston over Dallas.

But this is why I said Dallas

Dallas Cowboys- Arguably the most successful team in the NFL in the superbowl era. 5 Superbowl Champions, 8 NFC championships. 16 NFC Championship appearances going 8-8, has been to the playoffs more than any other team and has won more playoff games than any other team, has 17 division titles in probably the most successful division in the NFL in the superbowl era. 28 winning seasons in 45 years etc. etc. etc. They have accomplished this all in only 45 years. As you can tell im a huge Cowboy fan :D

Dallas Mavericks- is one of the most consistent teams in the NBA since 2000. Doesn't have an nba championship YET.

Dallas Stars- 1 Stanley Cup Championship. Been to the playoffs every year since 1997 except in 2002 oh and 05 :P. Quite possibly the strongest market for the NHL in the south.

Texas Rangers- Not much success but has a bright future and is now starting to sell out every game. went to the playoffs in 96, 97 and 99.

They have all those other sports as well in the area as there are many lakes in the DFW area.

They have the Fort Worth bowl and the Cotton Bowl one of the most historic bowls in college football. It also hosts one of the greatest rivalries in college sports in Texas/OU and hosts another yearly classic called the state fair classic with PVA&M/Grambling.

Home to TCU(fort worth) and SMU(Dallas).

Home to the BIG 12 championship game everynow and then as well as the BIG 12 tournament which will be back in Dallas in 2006.

Area may host a superbowl in 2011.

Home of the Bob Hope Classic in the PGA Tour and a Nascar race every april at the Texas motor speedway.

I think i named alot for Dallas lol. But if its pro sports Dallas is by far the best. If college sports is your thing( which i love btw) the Raliegh, Durham, Winston-Salem area probably gets top notch. Gaming and Sailing and all that you can pick a Florida city or even a Louisiana city.

#4 Houston

#6 Miami

#8 Dallas

#13 Atlanta

#14 Tampa

#19 Nashville

#21 Charlotte

#22 New Orleans

#25 Raliegh-Durham

#30 Memphis

#45 Jacksonville

#49 Birmingham

#128 Richmond

#140 Norfolk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This about says it all for me. I'm not a total sports fan but I do not doubt this list at all other than I would have thought Dallas higher than Houston.

As far as saying best southern sports city, are we referring to revenue generated but sports events, fan loyalty, national recognition, and development cause by said events? Or are we speaking of the emotional quotient? If the latter is the case then I would say that the list if probably very accurate.

For the record I initially voted Dallas......

NC is a sports state, and probaly THE state for rilvary games. all of the big 5 cities have a strong sports presence. Charlotte is putting us on the map with pro sports. The Panthers had a big year in 04, the bobcats had a decent 1st year. NC is still kinda new to the NBA and NFL.

As for D-1 college sports...ACC basketball, doesnt get much better than that. UNC-2005 National champs...produced legends like Jordan, Worthy, Carter, Jamison, Wallace. Duke always has a squad...no need to explain. Wake produced the 2005 NBA Finals MVP- Tim Duncan, 2005 no. 4 draft pick Chris Paul. Even the coaches represent...Dean Smith with 879 wins, the lesser know C. E. Gaines of WSSU with 828 wins, Coach K. and now Roy Williams.

The tournaments are all over the place in NC. Greensboro, HQ of the ACC and MEAC, holds the ACC mens' basketball tournament, very often NCAA div-1 tournament games, and now ACC women's basketball tournament. Raleigh was just awarded the MEAC basketball tournament which has teams from Baltimore MD, all the way down to Tallahasee Fla. The CIAA is HQ'd there and is the oldest HBCU conference in the country. Charlotte's uptown arena is now the home for the CIAA basketball tournament, the largest div-2 tournament in the country.

the rivailries here are crazy. All four ACC schools are relatively close on that I-40 corridor so every team is a rival to each other. NC also has the largest number of 4-year HBCU's (11) in the country so every game is a big game. NCAT vs. NCCU, NCCU vs. WSSU, and now that WSSU is joining the MEAC, NCAT vs. WSSU. are the best games.

Archived