Best Southern Sports City

cooperdawg

Which major metropolitan southern city has the best sports atmosphere, college, pro, semi-pro etc. and why?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Which major metropolitan southern city has the best sports atmosphere, college, pro, semi-pro etc. and why?

• Atlanta
    • Birmingham
    • Charlotte
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Jacksonville
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans
    • Norfolk/Virginia Beach
    • Raleigh-Durham
    • Richmond
    • Tampa

I'd really have to say Atlanta because it has a sport team represented from all the major national sports teams, plus it also has an ESPN Zone, ans they only put those in sport fanatic cities. Atlanta doesn't have strong college teams but at least they have them.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how the cities on the list supported their pro sports teams for the last full season played in each league. All the numbers are from espn.com

League Rank - City - Avg. Attendence - % of seating capacity

NFL - 2004 season - 32 teams

#6 Carolina (Charlotte): 73,882 - 100.8%

#8 Miami: 72,601 - 100.4%

#10 Houston: 70,649 - 101.7%

#11 Atlanta: 70,603 - 99.2%

#14 Jacksonville: 69,433 - 90.3%

#15 Tennessee (Nashville): 68,901 - 100.2%

#21 Tampa Bay: 65,340 - 99.5%

#23 New Orleans: 64,147 - 92.0%

#25 Dallas: 63,861 - 97.4%

NBA - 2004-05 season - 30 teams

#3 Dallas: 20,061 - 104.5%

#4 Miami: 19,881 - 101.4%

#19 Memphis: 16,862 - 91.6%

#23 Houston: 16,181 - 88.4%

#28 Atlanta: 14,456 - 72.3%

#29 Charlotte: 14,221 - 61.9%

#30 New Orleans: 14,221 - 82.7%

MLB - 2004 season - 30 teams

#7 Houston: 38,121 - 93.1%

#13 Texas (Dallas): 31,818 - 64.8%

#16 Atlanta: 29,399 - 58.7%

#26 Florida (Miami): 22,091 - 60.6%

#29 Tampa Bay: 16,139 - 36.6%

NHL - 2003-04 season - 30 teams

#8 Dallas: 18,350 - 99.0%

#12 Tampa Bay: 17,820 - 90.2%

#17 Florida (Miami): 15,904 - 82.6%

#21 Atlanta: 15,121 - 81.5%

#28 Nashville: 13,177 - 77.0%

#29 Carolina (Raleigh): 12,171 - 65.0%

Based on this, I would say either Miami, Houston, or Dallas.

Re. Dallas I think they have the smallest stadium out of those listed only having just above 63,000. once they build the new stadium they would be up in that list. To bad its in Arlington :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I wish it was in downtown Dallas. I have liked it better when the stadium is in the downtown area. Why is the stadium being built in Arlington anyway? I havent heard any reasons for it..

This is where these cities placed in The Sporting News 2004 "Best Sports Cities" list.

#4 Houston

#6 Miami

#8 Dallas

#13 Atlanta

#14 Tampa

#19 Nashville

#21 Charlotte

#22 New Orleans

#25 Raliegh-Durham

#30 Memphis

#45 Jacksonville

#49 Birmingham

#128 Richmond

#140 Norfolk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the 2005 list.

4. Miami

6. Houston

8. Dallas- Fort Worth

9. Atlanta

22. San Antonio

23. Raleigh-Durham- Chapel Hill, N.C.

25. Nashville

26. Memphis

27. New Orleans

28. Charlotte

34. Jacksonville

35. Orlando

45. Norman, Okla.

46. Louisville, Ky.

47. Austin, Texas

48. Lubbock, Texas

50. Auburn, Ala.

51. Knoxville, Tenn.

52. Blacksburg, Va.

54. Stillwater, Okla.

55. Morgantown, W.Va.

58. Gainesville, Fla.

60. College Station, Texas

61. Baton Rouge, La.

63. Athens, Ga.

64. Charlottesville, Va.

69. Tuscaloosa, Ala.

71. El Paso, Texas

73. Winston-Salem, N.C.

74. Tallahassee, Fla.

77. Fayetteville, Ark.

79. Clemson, S.C.

80. Columbia, S.C.

90. Starkville, Miss.

97. Oxford, Miss.

98. Birmingham, Ala.

103. Lafayette, La.

104. Ruston, La.

108. Tulsa, Okla.

111. Waco, Texas

112. Hattiesburg, Miss.

113. Murfreesboro, Tenn.

116. Denton, Texas

118. Troy, Ala.

119. Jonesboro, Ark.

120. Huntington, W.Va.

121. Greenville, N.C.

125. Monroe, La.

127. Richmond, Va.

130. Norfolk, Va.

136. Charleston, S.C.

142. Oklahoma City

147. Davidson, N.C.

148. Rock Hill, S.C.

152. Little Rock, Ark.

155. Chattanooga, Tenn.

157. Hammond, La.

160. Wilmington, N.C.

165. Corpus Christi, Texas

170. Natchitoches, La.

174. Greensboro, N.C.

175. Statesboro, Ga.

176. Boone, N.C.

178. Beaumont, Texas

179. Huntsville, Texas

183. Itta Bena, Miss.

185. Greenville, S.C.

187. Boiling Springs, N.C.

188. Spartanburg, S.C.

190. Clarksville, Tenn.

191. Orangeburg, S.C.

198. Mobile, Ala.

201. Macon, Ga.

202. Hampton, Va.

211. Lake Charles, La.

213. High Point, N.C.

215. Lynchburg, Va.

217. Jacksonville, Ala.

218. Johnson City, Tenn.

219. San Marcos, Texas

221. Asheville, N.C.

225. DeLand, Fla.

226. Elon, N.C.

228. Conway, S.C.

230. Nacogdoches, Texas

231. Radford, Va.

232. Edinburg, Texas

233. Daytona Beach, Fla.

234. Williamsburg, Va.

236. Cullowhee, N.C.

241. Montgomery, Ala.

242. Martin, Tenn.

243. Grambling, La.

245. Jackson, Miss.

246. Lexington, Va.

249. Harrisonburg, Va.

252. Shreveport, La.

253. Olean, N.Y.

255. Fort Myers, Fla.

256. Bristol, Tenn.

257. Augusta, Ga.

259. Buies Creek, N.C.

262. Martinsville, Va.

263. Taladega, Ala.

266. Pine Bluff, Ark.

267. Jupiter, Fla.

268. Darlington, S.C.

273. Vero Beach, Fla.

274. Dunedin, Fla.

276. Prairie View, Texas

277. Sarasota, Fla.

278. Port St. Lucie, Fla.

281. Melbourne, Fla.

283. Clearwater, Fla.

285. Lakeland, Fla.

289. Farmville, Va.

291. Hilton Head Island, S.C.

295. Zebulon, N.C.

296. Midland, Texas

297. Jackson, Tenn.

299. Kodak, Tenn.

300. Hickory, N.C.

301. Huntsville, Ala.

303. Charleston, W.Va.

306. Savannah, Ga.

315. Bradenton, Fla.

317. Fayetteville, N.C.

321. Kinston, N.C.

322. Kissimmee, Fla.

323. Laredo, Texas

325. McAllen, Texas

329. Pearl, Miss.

332. Rome, Ga.

339. Winter Haven, Fla.

341. Columbus, Ga.

346. Myrtle Beach, S.C.

350. Kannapolis, N.C.

353. Woodbridge, Va.

355. Danville, Va.

357. Salem, Va.

360. Greeneville, Tenn.

367. Pulaski, Va.

370. Elizabethton, Tenn.

378. Kingsport, Tenn.

379. Roanoke, Va.

381. Burlington, N.C.

383. Batavia, N.Y.

384. Bluefield, W.Va.

386. Bristol, Va.

387. Princeton, W.Va.

388. Tampa-St. Petersburg

• 3 weeks later...

If that is not the biggest 'typo' for Tampa-St. Pete to be dead last on the list, I don't know what is!!!! :w00t:

Tampa to be worst than Savannah, GA who was ranked at 306!!!!! Unbelievable!!!!! The Sporting News just lost some cool points with me on this one, but still pretty funny though. Does anyone have the criteria that is evaluated to determine the outcome of this list?

the higher ranking might have something to do with the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup.

and since that was without a doubt the best thing Tampa had going for it sports-wise. I'm not saying the there is nothing else good there sports-wise, but come on, what's better to the sports scene than winning the championship of one of the 4 major professional sports? And on top of that, it was the Stanley Cup--which is the most coveted single item in sports.

And the low ranking may be an exaggeration of the abrupt loss of Tampa's glory thanks to the NHL lock-out this past season. And the fact that the Devil Rays are one of the most unsuccessful franchises in professional sports today.

but regardless of those factors, that's WAY too low for a city with professional sports teams, much less 3 of the big 4. I saw a couple cities on that list that I have never heard of above Tampa--my only guess is college teams--and small ones at that.

Just so you know how much you can trust the Sporting News to rank sports, here is what they rated the highest in various sports for 2005.

Best of Major League Baseball: St. Louis

Best of NASCAR: Bristol, Tenn.

Best of the NBA: San Antonio

Best of the NFL: Green Bay

Best of hockey: Philadelphia

Best of college basketball: Philadelphia

Best of college football: Iowa City

well, I know they're right on baseball--the only other comparisons are Boston, NY, and Chicago. I agree with NFL too even though I don't like the Packers. And Philadelphia does love their hockey, but Detroit, Boston, and the state of Minnesota should be better. I don't care a bit about NASCAR, but Bristol would seem the obvious choice. San Antonio is a fair choice for NBA, but NY, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, and LA would be up there too.

As for the college football, Iowa City?! No town is more frighteningly devoted to a college team than Baton Rouge. I'm not a fan of LSU, but LSU and Death Valley at night are not for the timid of spirit. But as much as I despise Notre Dame football, the best place would be South Bend, IN.

College Basketball--Philadelphia? Lots of teams, but none of them have the success, fan following, big name, or rivalry of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. I do not like Duke or UNC, but that is still the best college basketball area of the country.

but other than the glaring oversight of the college sports, Sporting News did a decent job in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know how much you can trust the Sporting News to rank sports, here is what they rated the highest in various sports for 2005.

Best of Major League Baseball: St. Louis

Best of NASCAR: Bristol, Tenn.

Best of the NBA: San Antonio

Best of the NFL: Green Bay

Best of hockey: Philadelphia

Best of college basketball: Philadelphia

Best of college football: Iowa City

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I call bullcrap on Iowa City having anything on any SEC college town. Knoxville was voted the #1 gameday weekend last year by SIoC. Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Athens, Columbia, or even Oxford, MS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/sion...t_weekends0916/

College Basketball--Philadelphia? Lots of teams, but none of them have the success, fan following, big name, or rivalry of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. I do not like Duke or UNC, but that is still the best college basketball area of the country.

:whistling::(:sick:

Everyone forgets about the 3rd point in the triangle, NC STATE...you know we do have two National Championships as well guys, and our NCAA appearance streak is longer than Carolina's currently...and we are pretty much the dominant in-state Football program, and usually better than UNC & Duke in baseball as well.

Oh yeah, and our basketball arena is better than Duke and Carolina's too :-P

• 4 weeks later...

The entire states of Indiana and Kentucky my friend. You really have no clue what it's like in the months between November and March. You really have no clue.

The entire states of Indiana and Kentucky my friend. You really have no clue what it's like in the months between November and March.

I have to agree, the entire states of Indiana and Kentucky are pretty freakin' hardcore when it comes to their support of their college basketball teams.

I have to agree, the entire states of Indiana and Kentucky are pretty freakin' hardcore when it comes to their support of their college basketball teams.

I think the University of Kentucky's records and championships along with continuous NCAA attendance records at home should speak for themselves. Never forgetting Louisville, Kentucky Wesleyn(sp?), Indiana University, and Purdue just to name a few of the promonient programs in the region. You are born witha basketball and you die with a ring in these states. A ring meaning that you will experience at least one NC before you die. Not trying to be cocky, but really. Why would anyone want to even forget about the area in the first place? Question is, HOW could you forget about the area and its tradition and reputation???

This was about individual cities/metros--when I said "area", I was referring to the cities listed on that list a few posts before mine. Certainly, Indiana and Kentucky as a whole would top North Carolina as a whole. But the presence of the multiple basketball powers in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill makes that area a stronger basketball area/metro/city/region/ect. than any individual city in those other states in my mind. But yes, those states (if this were the topic of the poll and that particular list) are heads above any others as far as basketball goes. I did not mean to slight anywhere else; I meant only to comment on topic. So, I apologize for using the word "area"--it was not the best choice of words.

That's cool. But the same could be argued for the Louisville, Lexington, Cincy triangle. All three have very rich traditions that date back far beyond the rivalry of the three BIG schools in the Triad. Not that the rivalries themselves are bigger but, if you put Louisville in the SEC like Duke and UNC are, the rivarly would be virtually untouchable. Cincy and Louisville, the same could be said for them too. Okay, I am done with my homer speech. LOL!!

I agree, but I was still using that list a few posts ahead of mine. Cincinnati and Louisville and Lexington were all separate whereas Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill were combined. I'm from Memphis, so I know how big Louisville basketball is. And Kentucky basketball fever is evident to most of the country. But I was still using that list for reference. :)

I had been away from this on since I put in the post on the Sporting News. I see that one of my favorites drew about the largest response. College Football. Yes, they are renovating the football stadium in Iowa City and I'm certain there is a lot of fan support. We have some of the Iowa support here in DC. But I have been to games all around the country and it just isn't any bigger than in the SEC.

The reason that the Sporting News gave for Philadelphia for College Basketball was the city rivalries with the Big Five and the fact that it didn't really matter to them if they were winning or even competitive outside of the city. I agree with everyone that says that it gets no bigger than in Indiana, Kentucky, or North Carolina as states. I'm not going to get into the choice.

I don't really care about the Pro Sports, I'm certain that this year it will either be Houston or Chicago for Baseball and whoever else wins in their respective sports. As far as how the Sporting News rates the cities, it is more or less Pro Sport Centric. They care about the number of teams and how they are doing collectively. That seems to be more important than the fans.

Now in Women's Basketball, there is Tennessee and Connecticut, Reston and Stanford, Oklahoma and Texas Texas Tech and LSU. Maybe a handfull or more major followings and then everyone else. College Baseball draws well in the SEC and in a few other places in the ACC, Big 12, and Pac Ten.

Washington DC makes it high on those Sporting News lists and Maryland is in one of the Four Big Baseball conferences and they don't even try to compete. The papers, both in Baltimore and DC, don't even mention College Baseball, but they do two pages everyday for LaCrosse.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm torn between answering Atlanta or Houston. Miami is a hair below.

After alot of thought, it's Atlanta by a smidgen.

Atlanta: All of the major pro sports plus 1 major college that plays in the ACC and another major college from the SEC, an hour away. Also, Atlanta has a race track, the SEC Championship Game, the Peach Bowl, and, in most years, the SEC Men's basketball championship. Georgia Tech is good in both football and basketball most years and the U of Georgis is only 60 miles away. The Braves have a long-term history of success. Atlanta also hosted the Olympics, which puts it over the top.

Houston: Advantage in facilities with the Toyota Center, Minute Maid and Reliant. Houston has both Rice University and the University of Houston, but they are a number of years removed from big success.

Miami: The University of Miami is a football power, but they don't have good attendance. Basketball is also not real popular at the U of M. The Orange Bowl helps along with all of the pro teams, but it is a hair below Houston.

Archived