$50million Publix/Housing project coming to McBee

vicupstate

Forumer Brad Toy gets his wish. The hideous looking McBee Apts. will be razed to build a 14 acre project with an urban-style Publix, 192 apartments, 30,000 sq. ft in retail space, a bank and condos.

The total cost will be $45-50 million and is the largest project announced since Riverplace. A swimming pool and clubhouse are included with the housing units.

:D

Downtown Greenville is really, really heating up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More great news for Greenville...it just keeps getting better and better for you guys. Maybe I'll contemplate a move in the near future...;)

One of my fraternity brothers who will be getting married this weekend and will be living in Greenville and working at Furman remarked to me how lively DT Greenville was. He seems to be excited about living in a city that's making such progress, and with good reason.

This is great news! I love tearing down old stuff in order to build newer, better stuff! A downtown supermarket is perfect and will do well given the influx of people moving downtown. Hopefully it will feel "urban" and won't be too huge like southeastern supermarkets tend to be.

As far as the federal courthouse building is concerned, is this something we would want for the Gateway site? I would like to see a building AT LEAST 20 stories high go on that site, especially since we have waited so long for something impressive to be put there. Would the federal courthouse be able to help us achieve that?

I am going to be ticked if they put a mundane five or six-story building on that site!

I was just looking at the developments thread, and was reminded of the following:

"*If the new Federal Courthouse is built on the Gateway property, it will probably be quite tall because the strict requirements stated that the courthouse building will be over 247,000sf plus the parking garage."

For reference, the Pinnacle on Main building is supposed to be 13 stories and 88,000 square feet. If the courthouse building is supposed to be 247,000 square feet, we should easily be in the 20-story range! I don't know how much land is available at the Gateway site, but it can't be much more than is available for the Pinnacle on Main building.

Thoughts anyone?

I was just looking at the developments thread, and was reminded of the following:

"*If the new Federal Courthouse is built on the Gateway property, it will probably be quite tall because the strict requirements stated that the courthouse building will be over 247,000sf plus the parking garage."

For reference, the Pinnacle on Main building is supposed to be 13 stories and 88,000 square feet.

Federal Buildings tend to have high ceilings. A new one in Jacksonville comes to mind. This would make the building taller than the square footage would indicate. It really could be anywhere fom a standard 8 story building to the height equivalent of 20 stories. It will depend on the footprint. They may narrow the footprint to leave more space for grounds and parking.

Someone could look up the Jax courthouse on skyscrapers.com. It is 15 stories I believe.

Too bad Brad Toy is on vacation, he probably won't know about The McBee Apts for a few days yet. He'll like it though.

Federal Buildings tend to have high ceilings.  A new one in Jacksonville comes to mind.  This would make the building taller than the square footage would indicate.  It really could be anywhere fom a standard 8 story building to the height equivalent of 20 stories.  It will depend on the footprint.  They may narrow the footprint to leave more space for grounds and parking. 

Someone could look up the Jax courthouse on skyscrapers.com.  It is 15 stories I believe.

Too bad Brad Toy is on vacation, he probably won't know about The McBee Apts for a few days yet.  He'll like it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^ the Jacksonville courthouse is 14 floors, and 277 ft. That's just under 20' per floor average. No figure given on Sq. footage though.

Pic is here

I'm glad to see you guys keeping this discussion going! :thumbsup:

I certainly hope that the Federal Courthouse, if to be built on the Gateway site, will not swallow the entire piece of land, but rather include an outdoor plaza with shade trees and such. either way, I tend to agree that it will be a fairly tall building, since:

1. We know the square footage

2. A parking facility will definitely be built in addition to the actual courthouse

3. Remembering the original plan for the site was to be 15 stories and have only 200,000 sf.

With such information, we may "soon" be able to permanently fill in the Gateway project on our list of new Greenville highrises! :D

I am very eager to see the architecture, since it will undoubtedly be high-class quality.

I'm glad to see you guys keeping this discussion going! :thumbsup:

I certainly hope that the Federal Courthouse, if to be built on the Gateway site, will not swallow the entire piece of land, but rather include an outdoor plaza with shade trees and such.  either way, I tend to agree that it will be a fairly tall building, since:

1. We know the square footage

2. A parking facility will definitely be built in addition to the actual courthouse

3. Remembering the original plan for the site was to be 15 stories and have only 200,000 sf.

With such information, we may "soon" be able to permanently fill in the Gateway project on our list of new Greenville highrises! :D

I am very eager to see the architecture, since it will undoubtedly be high-class quality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If memory serves, the new Meridian building in Columbia is about 270,000 sq. ft. and 17 stories. The Meridian seems to have a fairly standard-sized footprint for a contemporary office building, so it would seem to make a reasonable comparision for the Courthouse building.

One other question, I know you guys in Greenville are really excited about all the new developments downtown - how many of these are confirmed projects that are actually underway, and how many are announcements? It would seem to me that this flurry of activity would indicate a rush by developers to stake their claims on downtown land for possible future use. I haven't been following all the details closely, but I'm wondering if a few of these are the developers version of "chicken", where the all announce their projects and then rush around seeing who can put together financing to actually make it happen, and who can't take the heat and bows out.

These are indeed legitimate plans for downtown development. There has finally been a major shift in interest from the busy and almost overcrowded suburbs back to the heart of the Upstate. Also, downtown is extremely vibrant and improving constantly, therefore property here has become very valuable. Most of these developers have said that they hope to begin construction soon. The Pinnacle on Main should begin within another month. The Camperdown Condominiums should begin sometime in July. Those are the two which have given specific times and will be under constuction simultaneously, along with RiverPlace (several buildings 8 stories and taller). :)

It would not surprise me if one of more of the proposed skyscrapers does not making it to groundbreaking. What JTboy describes could be happening. However, even if one or two buildings dropped out, there would still be an impressive amount of activity. The Main @ McBee building has been in proposal stage for awhile for instance.

Conversely, a new model has emerged with the whole office condos instead of office leasing. That may well be why there is a spike in activity.

Additionally, there is a certain "keeping up with the Jones" mentality behind this too. If a business sees their competitor getting nice new digs downtown, they are more inclined to follow. Also, as Poinsett and Bookends are finally coming online, they give a completed example (as opposed to renderings) to those who might not have the imagination to buy without something to look at.

I think getting a Publix will definitely put gas on the fire in a big way. It was the one thing that was really needed but missing.

I think getting a Publix will definitely put gas on the fire in a big way.  It was the one thing that was really needed but missing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with you here. Not only that, but the apartment housing that has been announced with this project should remove one barrier to entry to young professionals who just didn't quite have the financial resources to buy into the condo scene. This will be an injection of vibrance that'll keep the fires stoked, for sure!

I can't wait to see the plans and renderings of this project! It's been in the works for a while, from what I understand and is just now becoming a reality.

Here is the square footage for the courthouse in Jacksonville

http://www.iolp.gsa.gov/iolp/BuildingInfo.asp?bID=FL0017

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks darw10! I also read the site is 1.5 acres.

Jax: 1.5 acre site, 402,000 sq ft, 14 floors, 20 ft per floor, 277 ft tall

Gville: ? acre site, 277,000 sq. ft., ? floors, ? ft tall

If the footprints and per floor heights are similiar, the Gville courthouse would be about 10 floors and 200 ft tall by my estimate.

I just read the article on the Greenville News website about the new supermarket. Interesting how it doesn't mention Publix being the tenant. Are we sure it will be a Publix, or is that just conjecture at this point?

I also noticed that the old apartments at the corner of Church and McBee will be torn down (I had just imagined the ones farther back from the street being torn down). As a child, I remember the apartment on the corner of Church and McBee had a Ronald Reagan doll on the balcony. Does anyone else here remember that?

I believe that I read somewhere that a tenant has not signed on for the McBee project for the grocery store. But i've seen renderings of the developement and it definitely points to Publix. It's just a matter of signing the papers to make it official and so that the News doesn't have to eat their words.

Archived