$50million Publix/Housing project coming to McBee

vicupstate

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is wonderful news! :D

That is an absolutely perfect spot for such a development.  I was really beginning to wonder exactly where it would go, but this has certainly appeased my curiousity. :)

Thanks for posting this info, vicupstate! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello. I just posted a greeting over in the Gvill Mall thread.

What about the Church St. bridge? I was somewhat surprised about the location (being exiled here in Bham I'm not on the cutting edge of Greenville development news). Its being on the other side of that bridge almost cuts it off from downtown, at least in my perception. I used to live in the D.C. area, and in places like downtown Bethesda, they have grocery stores in the underground floors of towers. I was thinking more along those lines--on a smaller scale of course. That's what I get for thinking.

Cheers.

No problem.  :thumbsup: To tell you the truth I think it is a good site. It is on the underpass end of part of the Church St. bridge, which makes it a more pedestrian friendly section of downntown. Making it better suited for that kind of developement. BTW it is not as cut off as you may think. And welcome EXILE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the location seems really choice. It will help extend the pedestrian zone of downtown, not be cut off from it. Welcome Exile! How's B'ham? I grew up there and spent my early 20's living in Southside and then downtown in the loft district off Morris. Used to miss it, but Greenville's been doing a great job lately of keeping me energized and entertained!

Forumer Brad Toy gets his wish.  The hideous looking McBee Apts. will be razed to build a 14 acre project with an urban-style Publix, 192 apartments, 30,000 sq. ft in retail space, a bank and condos. 

The total cost will be $45-50 million and is the largest project announced since Riverplace.  A swimming pool and clubhouse are included with the housing units.

:D

Downtown Greenville is really, really heating up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Federal Buildings tend to have high ceilings.  A new one in Jacksonville comes to mind.  This would make the building taller than the square footage would indicate.  It really could be anywhere fom a standard 8 story building to the height equivalent of 20 stories.  It will depend on the footprint.  They may narrow the footprint to leave more space for grounds and parking. 

Someone could look up the Jax courthouse on skyscrapers.com.  It is 15 stories I believe.

Too bad Brad Toy is on vacation, he probably won't know about The McBee Apts for a few days yet.  He'll like it though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright, I am back from Alaska, must say there was much announced while I was gone. This would have to be the most exciting, very similar to what I had in mind. People out there read this, It makes me wonder :-)

Anyway, awsome project. And while I was in Alaska I was able to get info on the yet to be announced Boib Ellis Tower, but can't share anything yet.

Welcome back Brad.

Maybe you should take more vacations. If you take another one, maybe a big announcement will be made about County Square being redeveloped.

Can you tell us how long it will be before a press release is expected on the new tower? Knowing of course, it would be subject to change.

I do have a bit of new info myself. Several properties in the University Ridge/ Church St. area have been bought up recently and an announcement is expected in a few weeks on a largely commercial project of several acres.

Welcome back Brad. 

Maybe you should take more vacations.  If you take another one, maybe a big announcement will be made about County Square being redeveloped. 

Can you tell us how long it will be before a press release is expected on the new tower?  Knowing of course, it would be subject to change.

I do have a bit of new info myself.  Several properties in the University Ridge/ Church St. area have been bought up recently and an announcement is expected in a few weeks on a largely commercial project of several acres.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't, mainly because that is not something I know.

Several properties in the University Ridge/ Church St. area have been bought up recently and an announcement is expected in a few weeks on a largely commercial project of several acres.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now if only something would be done with University Ridge itself... :rolleyes:

Both Burger King and BP at South Church and Univeristy Ridge have all closed up within the past couple of months, thus evident of some redevelopment about to occur. Both spaces together seems like a freestanding drug store in the making, but it could always be something else.

David Stone and C. Dan Joyner own almost everything out there, so I would Imagine something will be happening soon. I remember at the info meeting for the Brio auction they were saying that they were going to clean that area up. They were using that as a sales incentive.

Both Burger King and BP at South Church and Univeristy Ridge have all closed up within the past couple of months, thus evident of some redevelopment about to occur.  Both spaces together seems like a freestanding drug store in the making, but it could always be something else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may be right...I'd be looking for a Walgreen's on that corner before long. The same thing happened at the NW Corner of Poinsett Highway (US 276) and Blue Ridge Drive (SR 253). The old bank and gas station (and a couple of buildings behind them) were bought up and demolished. Now Walgreen's is going up (although part of it came crashing down recently).

Since this appears to be their M.O., keep an eye on that corner!

• 1 month later...

Staple's does have that tendency to go somewhere other than a big box. You have to give them credit for that. They had a full service store a few years back at Boston's Logan Intl Airport, in Terminal C. Really small, but had what you needed. They also have several small urban stores in downtown Boston.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone needs to take some "before" pictures of this site before the demolition starts. This site is about to go from one of the biggest eyesores in all of Greenville to an attractive mixed-use project that will bring DT Greenville to the next level.

It will be great to see the contrast once the Publix project is completed. BTW, any word on the other large retail parcel? Is it going to be an Office Max/Staples type place?

• 2 months later...

Archived