picture0389gp.jpg

The fortress-like Massachusetts Archives and Commonwealth Museum

picture0415km.jpg

picture0491pk.jpg

Stonehenge?

picture0453wm.jpg

Another original sewage building

picture0474ai.jpg

There were these artificial foxes all around Umass today. I saw a maintenance truck driving around a soccer field picking them up. A prank of sorts or "art"?

picture0433ic.jpg

"Stinger"

picture0525np.jpg

picture0544fp.jpg

Surface lot

picture0615lm.jpg

The new, much anticipated front door to Umass Boston--the Campus Center

picture0559ud.jpg

picture0607mc.jpg

With its random windows

picture0640xc.jpg

And the pyramids

picture0636no.jpg

The interior is actually flooded with light, despite my dark pictures

picture0712vl.jpg

picture0739nt.jpg

picture0740eo.jpg

picture0759mn.jpg

picture0760ny.jpg

picture0777mf.jpg

The rear was designed to blend with other campus buildings

picture0690zb.jpg

And the rest:

"The Hero at Evening"

picture0662qz.jpg

This part of the plaza isn't so bad, especially when the trees are green and the weather is nice enough to bring people outside. Otherwise people travel between buildings in the catwalks

picture0783ww.jpg

picture0794ua.jpg

Lockers are useful for a commuter school, but it just makes me feel like I am back in high school

picture0803wx.jpg

Views from the library are an incentive to get me into the building to study

picture0849hc.jpg

And it ends with Red Square, Dorchester

picture0827ik.jpg

Does anyone actually commute via the red line to UMB? I remember that the station is really far from the actual school and given how lazy most are...

I think this came up before. There is a fast, frequent, free and reliable shuttle bus between the station and the campus. It seems like the driving to public transit ratio is 50:50.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone actually commute via the red line to UMB? I remember that the station is really far from the actual school and given how lazy most are...

Its been a while but when i was at UMB in 97-98 I was the typical commuter student, took the orange line to the red line got off at JFK/UMASS and waited for the shuttle bus... you can walk but it is a hike and well in the winter no fun, if its a nice day then MAYBE... but as far as parking back then it was nearly impossible to get a space in the under-ground garage nevermind the open lot which is now the new student center... It was just a safer bet to take the T and the shuttle in to the school...

I am not sure how much of an urban legend this is but when I was at UMB you could not walk anywhere near the library from the outside. inorder to get to the library you had to come into the main building and up the stairs to the walkway... Another student told me it was because the school was built on the landfill, and when they built the library it was raised up on stilts, the designers did not accomidate for the weight of the books and every year the buiding settled into the landfill causing bricks to fall... while yes this seems far fetched but I was a gullible 17 yr old...

Archived