Going down to Greenville

Noneck_08

I have to pick up my cousin this weekend from Piedmont,SC and I thinck I might head up 185 in to downtown just to get a good look at it. I've never been closer to G-ville than I-85 so ill probley just ride up main street and circle around. Anything you guys thinck I should look for. Since i'm on short time ill just take a quick ride up there and mabe stop and take some picks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is so much downtown its hard to tell you where to look. Liberty Bridge in Falls Park is real popular right now, and main street. You will see that Greenville has a pretty decent skyline that you don't get to see from I-85. With the annoucements of all of the new skyscrapers that is probably going to change over the next couple of years. The tallest announced is 350 ft tall. Our tallest right now is 305 ft.

I think a turn down Main Street is definitely worth the jaunt. Be aware that I-385 is currently under construction between I-85 and Downtown...particularly, the bridge over Laurens Road at the Stone Ave. Exit is not yet ready, but...just go down the exit ramp and climb right back up the entrance ramp and continue on over to the far left lane and take a turn down Main Street. It's a can't miss.

Drive on down into the West End and check out Falls Park, too. You can't visit Greenville without checking it out. That'd be my recommendation for a short visit. You can park behind the West End Market and walk to Falls Park (you really have to be on foot to truly appreciate it) and there is other parking around the park as well.

One of the lesser known parking facilities for Falls Park is the Bowater garage on Falls Street. It is free on weekends and located right next to one end of the Liberty Bridge along the Reedy River. I've used it a few times and never seen very many others parked there. Now the secret's out! :lol:

Another parking garage that's free on weekends (I think) is the one at West North St. and Richardson north of the Bank of America building.

Avoid driving down Main Street, particularly in the evenings; it can take as much as 15 minutes to go just a few blocks due to too much traffic. Much better to park somewhere and walk around. Downtown is not too big so you can easily do a complete walking tour just by parking somewhere.

I agree with everybody above....park your car and WALK downtown. The only way to truely appreciate what makes Greenville great and sets it apart from other southern cities. Walk the entire length of Main (Hyatt Hotel to West End) if you have time. Get off on some of the side streets too....as some of the best bars and restaurants are OFF main (ie: Addys, Casbah, etc)

My wife & I like to park at Richardson St. Garage and start our downtown walk into the back door of the Mast General Store. It's her favorite place downtown. Then out the front door onto Main St. 30 minutes (or more) later, and off we go.

Definitely make it to Falls Park and then into the West end. There is a good coffee shop across from the park called "Spill the Beans". We like to have dinner at the Overlook Cafe in the park, sitting outside of course, then head to Spill the Beans, or the Marble Slab Creamery for dessert.

Good places for lunch are Saffron's in the bottom of the West End Market, the Overlook Cafe in Falls Park, or Port City Java in Wachovia Place. All have outdoor seating.

Greenville is a great place to just walk. Make sure you get down behind the Peace Center and take in the new constuction at Riverplace. You can start to get a feel for what it will be. I love it down there by the river.

Anytime I've taken anyone for a tour in Greenville, they leave quite impressed. It is so much more than they would expect from a small City. I brought a friend who lives in Mass through downtown and when he left he said "I WILL live here". His wife is in the banking industry, I guess she might be able to find a job. :rolleyes:

All the new investment and beatification is really helping the city become a real showpiece.

Oh, there I go gushing again! :wub:

One of the lesser known parking facilities for Falls Park is the Bowater garage on Falls Street.  It is free on weekends and located right next to one end of the Liberty Bridge along the Reedy River.  I've used it a few times and never seen very many others parked there.  Now the secret's out! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Skyliner, what street is the entrance to Bowater Garage on? I've never actually tried to park there, but when I walk past it on Main St, I can't quite figure it out. :blink:

My wife & I like to park at Richardson St. Garage and start our downtown walk into the back door of the Mast General Store.  It's her favorite place downtown.  Then out the front door onto Main St. 30 minutes (or more) later, and off we go.

Definitely make it to Falls Park and then into the West end.  There is a good coffee shop across from the park called "Spill the Beans".  We like to have dinner at the Overlook Cafe in the park, sitting outside of course, then head to Spill the Beans, or the Marble Slab Creamery for dessert.

Good places for lunch are Saffron's in the bottom of the West End Market, the Overlook Cafe in Falls Park, or Port City Java in Wachovia Place.  All have outdoor seating.

Greenville is a great place to just walk.  Make sure you get down behind the Peace Center and take in the new constuction at Riverplace.  You can start to get a feel for what it will be.  I love it down there by the river.

Anytime I've taken anyone for a tour in Greenville, they leave quite impressed.  It is so much more than they would expect from a small City.  I brought a friend who lives in Mass through downtown and when he left he said "I WILL live here".  His wife is in the banking industry, I guess she might be able to find a job. :rolleyes:

All the new investment and beatification is really helping the city become a real showpiece.

Oh, there I go gushing again! :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great to hear people "gush" about Greenville! :D

The Bowater Parking Lot is accessable from Falls Street (East on Broad, South on Falls), I believe.

Richardson Street Garage has FREE WEEKEND PARKING, indeed. Just like NYTransplant, my wife and I park there ALL THE TIME and head right down the stairs and into Mast General Store from the back entrance.

The Washington Street Parking Deck (above the transit station) is also free Evening and Weekend Parking (next to Barley's and Wild Wing).

If only the Spring Street Garage offered free weekend and evening parking...

I saw in the Greenville Journal today that the city is trying to decide whether to build an additional parking deck at River Place. The 300 space deck that is being put there will open in a couple of weeks, but will only be open to people that live/work there.

Parking: A subject that deserves a thread all of its own ;)

But the key thing is this: IF YOU CAN, PARK and GET OUT AND WALK!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT B)

One of the lesser known parking facilities for Falls Park is the Bowater garage on Falls Street.  It is free on weekends and located right next to one end of the Liberty Bridge along the Reedy River.  I've used it a few times and never seen very many others parked there.  Now the secret's out! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did not know that! I usually try the Washington Street Parking Deck first, and the Richardson St. as a backup. Its rare that I get to Greenville at a time other than a night or weekend :)

I was excited about the Spring St Garage until I found out that you have to pay all the time. It would be a much more convenient garage for me :angry:

Archived