Greenville Skyline Renderings?

Greenville

Does anybody out there have the upgraded version of Google Earth ( http://earth.google.com/ )?

You can do some pretty neat stuff with it, from what I understand. For example, you can create your own 3-D rendering of a cityscape. See the following thread to see what I mean:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=161637

We could do something like this for Greenville; of course, it would help if the starting image had a little more detail.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody out there have the upgraded version of Google Earth ( http://earth.google.com/ )?

You can do some pretty neat stuff with it, from what I understand.  For example, you can create your own 3-D rendering of a cityscape.  See the following thread to see what I mean:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=161637

We could do something like this for Greenville; of course, it would help if the starting image had a little more detail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does this look for starters?

greenville-east.jpg

greenville-south.jpg

I've only got major buildings so far (and I had to guess at the heights of lots of buildings, there's not a lot of information out there :( ), but have I left anything out?

I'll try adding the proposed building in to see how it looks. :)

It looks AWESOME!!!  :thumbsup:

It looks like the resolution of downtown is a little better there, too.  I guess I should shell out the $20 and upgrade  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I found the default resolution unusable, so I got aerial photos from the Greenville County Geographic Information System's online mapping application, stitched some photos together and overlaid it on top of downtown in Google Earth.

On a side note, does anyone know of a good resource for figuring out how tall the building are downtown? That was my biggest problem. I could find the larger towers' information, but I'd like to fill it in a little more.

Actually, I found the default resolution unusable, so I got aerial photos from the Greenville County Geographic Information System's online mapping application, stitched some photos together and overlaid it on top of downtown in Google Earth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, in that case, I'll save my $$ :thumbsup: Thanks!

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome!

Next, here are my renderings. First, though, three disclaimers:

1) I tried to be a true to concept drawings and plans as possible, but I had to use a bit of artistic license on some buildings (on buildings where there were no published plans, I made the shapes up, but did use the published heights).

2) The heights should be very close to the final products (assuming that there aren't any design changes). On buildings w/o published heights, I used the existing buildings to come up with an average height of about 4.7m per floor.

3) The blue building did not have a published location, so I picked what looked like an empty space and put it there. Probably wrong, but I wanted to include it. ;)

(New buildings are lighter)

From 385:

385-before.jpg

385-after.jpg

From S. Main:

sMain-before.jpg

sMain-after.jpg

From the Air:

air-after.jpg

:D

And no, this is just a hobby of mine (can you tell that I've got too much spare time?) ;)

Well, I was going to send a Personal Message, but I'm told your inbox is full or you don't yet have privs to receive a personal message.

I want to start off by saying that this is EXCELLENT WORK! I totally dig it!

That being said, please forgive my public critique.

Hi Jason,

Very nice work.  I wish I had that much free time  ;)

There are a couple of minor items that I noticed about these.  I thought I'd send a Personal Message rather than post a reply to the thread.

The 55 Riverplace building looks extremely tall on your renderings compared to its actual height.  It should be pretty much the same height as the buildings around it in River Place.

The blue building is, I believe, the rumored Bob Ellis 14-story building?  I believe that is going to be located behind the old Kimberll's store and the Carolina First ATM (directly across from the Bookends).

I'm not sure, but it looks like the proportions of the Bookends/Spring Street Garage are rather large, too.

All-in-all, you did a FANTASTIC JOB!  I can certainly appreciate the amount of time and effort that went into this.  Nice work!  B)

-Eric (AKA the Rested Traveler)

• 5 months later...

Archived