The Detroit Princess

Ramcharger

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Maiden voyage for Detroit Princess is a trip to nowhere

From the Detroit Free Press - June 21, 2005

The Detroit Princess promised passengers an exciting maiden voyage on the Detroit River.

It never left the dock.

About 150 passengers showed up Sunday for a Father's Day cruise and lunch on the converted Mississippi riverboat.

What they didn't know was that on Friday, a U.S. Coast Guard inspection turned up safety violations that prevented the boat from leaving its Hart Plaza berth.

For the first hour, nobody told passengers.

"Finally, about 2:15, the captain said, 'Welcome to the maiden cruise, but we won't be cruising due to circumstances beyond our control,' " said an angry Patrice Bradley of Detroit.

Captain John Chamberlain said his company, CJC Cruises Inc., tried to reach ticket-holders ahead of time, but missed many. He said they handed out certificates for a free future cruise and a few refunds.

"We gave them a party and a show," he said. "I don't know how much nicer we can be."

The Princess has been canceling cruises since early May, when it planned to be up and running.

On Friday, the Detroit City Council gave final approval to the Princess for a watercraft liquor license, dance entertainment permit, a concessions agreement and zoning for its berth near the Renaissance Center, said city planner Marcel Todd. The city fire marshal also signed off on approval.

But the boat still can't move without the final Coast Guard certificate.

"I am quite sure it will be running this weekend," Chamberlain said Monday. "I can give you 20 million reasons why I want it to succeed."

read the whole article here

I saw this sitting at the foot of Hart Plaza and it looks very impressive! It sounds like these are minor violations and it should be up and running soon. It will be a great addition to the river and I hope it succeeds.

Archived