Detroit's historic West Canfield neighborhood

hudkina

In the heart of Detroit's reviving Midtown neighborhood, West Canfield is probably the most perfectly preserved idea of what a typical upper middle-class neighborhood in Detroit looked like at the end of the 19th century. Here's a few pics of the housing in the neighborhood:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

The house on the right is the last one to be renovated:

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where in proximity to the main branch of the library is West Canfield? I only made it somewhat down the street and certainly never found the houses. Though, the high sun and ninety degree heat did impede me a bit... I'd love to see what you didn't a chance to take a picture of.

WS

detroit has such great architecture. i love houses built out of brick and stone and it seems like detroit loves them too! for someone who has never been there, i have always pictured detroit as a very gritty, run down city. i am really glad that you guys have posted so much of what's nice about detroit so that people like me have a chance to see the good side of the city.

detroit has such great architecture. i love houses built out of brick and stone and it seems like detroit loves them too! for someone who has never been there, i have always pictured detroit as a very gritty, run down city. i am really glad that you guys have posted so much of what's nice about detroit so that people like me have a chance to see the good side of the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In general, you can say Detroit is gritty and run down. That's fair. What isn't fair is that most of the world doesn't realize that more of Detroit is nice than not-nice.

Archived