Reedy River

Greenville

I have a question about the Reedy River. I was thinking about the RiverWalk in San Antonio, TX, and how awesome it is to have boats filled with people (i.e., TOURISTS!) floating down the river. Is the Reedy River big enough to support that kind of thing? I was thinking that I heard something once about the city wanting to increase the flow of water through parts of the Reedy. That made me wonder if it would be able to handle something analagous to the RiverWalk in San Antonio.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Antonio and Oklahoma City both have similar things in place; however, they are very controlled and very shallow channels. I'm not sure that the Reedy could support something of this nature; however, one never knows.

The plans for the "Cleveland Park West" or "Mayberry Park" or whatever it will eventually be named call for restoring the flow of the Reedy River to its original course. Perhaps something like this could be implemented as a result of this work.

I do understand that the Gondola (operated by the same fellow who operates the carriage rides at the Westin Poinsett) should be in operation again soon. This is something that, if it becomes popular (which it may once River Place is complete), could set Greenville apart from these other cities.

I'd also maybe like to see Greenville consider implementing an artificial, flow-controlled kayak course (similar to the one that was put in place for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta). I think this would fit in quite nicely for our area, myself.

I think it would be quite cool to see small boats "cruising" the Reedy. I bet a company could do some big business renting out row boats... I say row boats because they look nicer. Paddle boats seem to be more of a step down. They're plastic. But anyways, whatever kind of boats, I think it would be a nice little ride around in the riverplace area. and that dam is there to prevent you from going down the falls. seems perfect!

I've always liked those type of additions to downtowns that have rivers.

Here are a couple of projects that came to mind while reading your posts. Tempe, in the Phoenix metro, made what was a dry wash that only had flowing water during monsoon season, as far as I remember, into a pretty cool marina type place.

http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Development/Marina.htm

Pueblo, south of Denver, basically just made a smaller San Antonio type thing, which is Pueblos only real tourist attraction. see the interesting photo gallery heading

http://www.puebloharp.com/media_kit/factsheet.htm

Many places have simply altered (boulders, fake eddies, etc) the natural water flows in areas to create 'kayaking parks' right in the heart of town centers. They are pretty cool and definately bring people in. Denver has one, but my favorite is in Big Fork, Montana.

Thanks for the info on Tempe and Pueblo, WildWest! Those are pretty cool examples.

The next time I fly out to Colorado Springs for work, I'll have to check out the Kayaking Park in Denver and take the short drive down to Pueblo to visit their River Walk. I had no idea either of these existed. Thanks!

San Antonio and Oklahoma City both have similar things in place; however, they are very controlled and very shallow channels.  I'm not sure that the Reedy could support something of this nature; however, one never knows.

The plans for the "Cleveland Park West" or "Mayberry Park" or whatever it will eventually be named call for restoring the flow of the Reedy River to its original course.  Perhaps something like this could be implemented as a result of this work.

I do understand that the Gondola (operated by the same fellow who operates the carriage rides at the Westin Poinsett) should be in operation again soon.  This is something that, if it becomes popular (which it may once River Place is complete), could set Greenville apart from these other cities.

I'd also maybe like to see Greenville consider implementing an artificial, flow-controlled kayak course (similar to the one that was put in place for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta).  I think this would fit in quite nicely for our area, myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Urban kayaking? Now thats an awsome twist :) I'd certainly go.

Urban kayaking? Now thats an awsome twist :) I'd certainly go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yea. I think a lot of people around here would be down with it if something like this were included with the new park. There's already a place at Linky Stone Park which provides kayaking lessons. This would be the natural evolution of that.

• 4 months later...

Heard from a person involved with the Camperdown that the city is looking to re-engineer the river as it passes The Camperdown and on up through the new Kroc Center / West End park to allow for an extended area to navigate (gondolas, kayaks, canoes, etc). Anybody else heard this?

Heard from a person involved with the Camperdown that the city is looking to re-engineer the river as it passes The Camperdown and on up through the new Kroc Center / West End park to allow for an extended area to navigate (gondolas, kayaks, canoes, etc). Anybody else heard this?

There have been comments surrounding the Cleveland Park West story, that the river will be 'returned' to it's original course. Evidently it's course was changed to accomodate industrial uses in the past.

I think some whitewater would be a good thing. There are alot of kayakers in the area. Being able to put in without going all the way to the mountains would be attractive.

The US Association for Canoers and Kayakers (USACK) held a very highly public search for a community to relocate their headquarters (from Lake Placid) about 3 years ago. Greenville did attempt to recruit them here. It would have meant only about 10-12 full time jobs, but a fair amount of visitors due to conferences, workshops etc. Charlotte promised them a $25M whitewater park on the Catawba River, so USACK moved there.

The US Association for Canoers and Kayakers (USACK) held a very highly public search for a community to relocate their headquarters (from Lake Placid) about 3 years ago. Greenville did attempt to recruit them here. It would have meant only about 10-12 full time jobs, but a fair amount of visitors due to conferences, workshops etc. Charlotte promised them a $25M whitewater park on the Catawba River, so USACK moved there.

Cool they chose the Carolinas....wish it would have been Greenville.

Archived