Upstate Web Cams

RestedTraveler

Wouldn't it be great if there were Web Cams positioned at various key spots throughout the Upstate so people from around the globe could peek in on our attractions from time to time and wish they were here?

I know that WYFF-4 has a couple (the list is diminishing every day, it seems):

Spartanburg:

spartanburgcam_640x480.jpg

Anderson:

andersoncam_640x480.jpg

Atop the Greenville Hilton:

hiltoncam_640x480.jpg

East North at the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville:

bilocam_640x480.jpg

There's also a camera positioned on part of the Reedy River Falls and the Liberty Bridge at the Falls Park, provided by Reedy River Online; however, this one's not 100% reliable.

http://www.reedyriveronline.com/big_pic.asp

There's even one inside of Harley Davidson Greenville:

med.jpg

Does anyone know of any others out there?

I think it would be cool to have some decent res (640x480 or 800x600) Web Cams aimed at places like:

- The entrance to Falls Park from Main Street

- The Falls

- The Liberty Bridge

- The Westin Poinsett

- Looking North up Main Street from around the Westin Poinsett

- Looking South down Main Street from around the Landmark Building

- Greenville from atop the Landmark Building

- The West End Ballpark when it's open

What are your opinions on this? Any others that you'd like to see added to the list from around the Upstate?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of more webcams downtown. Atop the Landmark Building sounds good, as does the West End ballpark once it's open. What about something in Cleveland Park near the zoo?

Some of the ones we have aren't interesting to me. Why does there need to be one on East North Street near the Bi-Lo Center? Blah.

Some of the ones we have aren't interesting to me.  Why does there need to be one on East North Street near the Bi-Lo Center?  Blah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. There was one at East North and Law Center, too, but it seems to have been taken down. I'd rather see this camera aimed right at the Bi-Lo Center, myself. That'd be far more inetesting :)

I like the Zoo idea, too! Nice one!

Clemson has a few on campus that you can get to through the clemson.edu website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just noticed your post and went searching for them. You're absolutely right! Thanks! :)

fullsize.jpg

fullsize.jpg

fullsize.jpg

Here's the URL to the complete list if anyone is interested:

http://camera.clemson.edu/webcams.htm

OR

http://camera.clemson.edu/

How and why do they put security camaras online?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I presume you're referring to the Furman one? That particular camera is usually pointed at the courtyard between Furman Hall and Johns Hall; however, I think they've got it put up in that lab during rennovation or something. I'm not sure, but I suspect they'll point it back once it's all done :)

I really wish this one (click here) was pointed either at the Liberty Bridge or the Falls. It's somewhere in between right now, looking at the Bowater Observation Deck, and that kida bites. :huh:

It's days like today that I wish I was down there instead of here at the office :). Maybe they should install WiFi hotspots throughout falls park. The Liberty Bridge could be one giant WiFi Range Extender :rofl:

SCDOT Traffic Cams (for those who have entirely too much free time)

They may not be interesting, but traffic cams can be very useful. I know of people who check traffic cams every day to decide whether to take the freeway or the back roads to get home. Or some just stay at the office later if traffic is too bad.

They may not be interesting, but traffic cams can be very useful. I know of people who check traffic cams every day to decide whether to take the freeway or the back roads to get home. Or some just stay at the office later if traffic is too bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya. And I understand completely what you're saying. I used to do the same thing when I lived in Reston, VA and in Orlando, FL. Checking the traffic cams was a necessary daily ritual in both places. :thumbsup:

Let's just say that the traffic in Greenville County, SC doesn't compare to that in Franklin County, Ohio :-) And also, most of the traffic cameras here usually say "Image Not Available" anyway. :(

I hear ya.  And I understand completely what you're saying.  I used to do the same thing when I lived in Reston, VA and in Orlando, FL.  Checking the traffic cams was a necessary daily ritual in both places.  :thumbsup:

Let's just say that the traffic in Greenville County, SC doesn't compare to that in Franklin County, Ohio :-)  And also, most of the traffic cameras here usually say "Image Not Available" anyway. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were you traveling east on I-66 from Reston into the District? If so, that morning commute must have sucked. I lived in DC for the past year, and loved it, but I lived in the District itself (Georgetown/Foxhall) and did not have to fool with I-66, I-395, or the Beltway during rush hour. I have heard a lot of horror stories about both.

I have experienced those infamous DC traffic standstills that seem to last forever, but that was only a few times traveling to and from DC on long trips. I can only imagine how time consuming it must be on a daily basis.

Fortunately, I didn't have to deal directly with the traffic, myself during the work week as my office was also in Herndon, Fairfax, and then eventually found a permanent home in Reston. However, I had a number of colleagues that lived over in Maryland (a couple all the way up in HowWeird County) that had to fight with the Dulles Toll Road, I-66, and Beltway traffic daily. So, I'm familiar with those horror stories (and did get caught in the stand-still a few times over the years, but that was rare).

Orlando was different for me though. I lived literally 2 minutes from my office (5 by bike) the last year I was there, but for the first several years, I lived on the North end of town and had an 60-90 minute commute each way. I-4 has always been a nightmare during rush-hour down there. The Greenway and other Toll Roads are a big help if you live near them, but I wasn't so forunate. :sick:

Greenville's funny in that, for most people, if you have to drive more than 10 miles to get to anything, it's too far :)

Fortunately, I didn't have to deal directly with the traffic, myself during the work week as my office was also in Herndon, Fairfax, and then eventually found a permanent home in Reston.  However, I had a number of colleagues that lived over in Maryland (a couple all the way up in HowWeird County) that had to fight with the Dulles Toll Road, I-66, and Beltway traffic daily.  So, I'm familiar with those horror stories (and did get caught in the stand-still a few times over the years, but that was rare).

Orlando was different for me though.  I lived literally 2 minutes from my office (5 by bike) the last year I was there, but for the first several years, I lived on the North end of town and had an 60-90 minute commute each way.  I-4 has always been a nightmare during rush-hour down there.  The Greenway and other Toll Roads are a big help if you live near them, but I wasn't so forunate.  :sick:

Greenville's funny in that, for most people, if you have to drive more than 10 miles to get to anything, it's too far :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that's why we like it. ;)

• 4 months later...

Archived