Chain Store Food

monsoon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sambo's - This was a Shoney like chain that had numerous stores in the Charlotte area. The only building that I remember being a Sambos that still exists in CLT is TJ's restaurant on Sugar Creek where N. Davidson terminates. The restaurant failed in part due to the name as it was taken from the book "Little Black Sambo" which was considered racist by some in the community even though it was an Indian boy.

I think they filed for bankruptcy.  There are a handful of franchises still around, but none that I know of nearby.  I miss those burgers :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We were in Indianapolis last weekend and they have lots of Rally's--they were even at the speedway. I didn't have a burger but the fries were delicious!

Sambo's - This was a Shoney like chain that had numerous stores in the Charlotte area.  The only building that I remember being a Sambos that still exists in CLT is TJ's restaurant on Sugar Creek where N. Davidson terminates.  The restaurant failed in part due to the name as it was taken from the book "Little Black Sambo" which was considered racist by some in the community even though it was an Indian boy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I barely remember Sambo's. They had a very distinctive building style and they held on in Va. until the early '80s.

Most of the Sambo's I know of are gone now, like you said, but there's one in High Point that's still a diner, one in Lynchburg, Va. that's a Mexican place, one in Danville, Va. that's a Texas Steakhouse and Saloon, and one in Roanoke, Va. that's a Hooters (yay!)

I need to scan those pictures of Sambo's from the '60s I have from Orange Roofs, Golden Arches by Phillip Langdon. Talk about funky!

• 1 month later...

Trivia: The only remaining Sambo's is in Santa Barbara CA. I think this was the original restaurant, before it was taken "chain" across the country.

Heard the owner in a talk radio interview a few years ago, saying he wanted to expand again. Dunno if anything came of it.

I barely remember Sambo's.  They had a very distinctive building style and they held on in Va. until the early '80s. 

Most of the Sambo's I know of are gone now, like you said, but there's one in High Point that's still a diner, one in Lynchburg, Va. that's a Mexican place, one in Danville, Va. that's a Texas Steakhouse and Saloon, and one in Roanoke, Va. that's a Hooters (yay!)

I need to scan those pictures of Sambo's from the '60s I have from Orange Roofs, Golden Arches by Phillip Langdon.  Talk about funky!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man, I remeber that place as a kid. That's so funny. As a kid you don't think of stuff like that, but now, there's no way I'd go there :P

• 1 year later...

Speaking of steakhouses - I saw where the Ponderosa Steak House was mentioned earlier in this thread. When I was real small, there was a steakhouse on South Blvd. beside the since-closed Burger King and I think that was what it was called. The company is still around BTW. http://www.ponderosasteakhouses.com/home.htm And as far as pizzarias go - There was one where you could watch the guys tossing the dough and slinging the sauce through a large window. It was quite cool if you were a kid! It was on South Blvd. near Archdale and I believe it was a Shakee's Pizza Parlor. It's still in business as well. http://www.shakeys.com/ I still recall the red and white checkered tablecloths and large families that gathered there to eat. Now delivery is the norm. We're talking about the seventies, man! A Po Folks opened in it's spot later on. It's still around too. http://www.pofolks.com/index.html

P.S. - I know I'm reviving an old thread but isn't that what this topic is all about - Reliving things from our past? lol

Archived