• Houston
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm biased, but I think Nashville is best place to live. We have almost everything a big city has (except major league baseball). There's plenty of quality entertainment, restaurants, etc. Could also use better mass transit.

It's a great place to visit for the same reasons listed above.

In Nashville, the saying goes "We don't want to be another Atlanta". People here are satisfied with the size we are and don't want anymore sprawl.

If I had to leave Nashville and live eslewhere, I dunno. Maybe the tri-cities area in Tennessee (CMSA 500,000 +/-)

If I had to visit elsewhere, Miami is nice. B)

I'm biased, but I think Nashville is best place to live. We have almost everything a big city has (except  major league baseball). There's plenty of quality entertainment, restaurants, etc. Could also use better mass transit.

It's a great place to visit for the same reasons listed above.

In Nashville, the saying goes "We don't want to be another Atlanta". People here are satisfied with the size we are and don't want anymore sprawl.

If I had to leave Nashville and live eslewhere, I dunno. Maybe the tri-cities area in Tennessee (CMSA 500,000 +/-)

If I had to visit elsewhere, Miami is nice.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats wrong with Atlanta?????????????????

Ugh, here we go again.

Each of these cities has its advantages and disadvantages.

Besides, you forgot Richmond, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Charleston, Spartanburg, Greenville, Asheville, Macon...

LOL...Virtually every Southern city.

And, I really wouldn't consider Miami or Houston...the South.

When you say the South....I consider that areas that have Southern culture.

The best place to live could be Dothan, AL or Wauchula, FL. That all depends on what type of lifestyle and community amenities you consider most important.

The same goes for cities to visit, as well. However, imo Miami and New Orleans are probably a lot more tourist friendly than the other cities.

Of the list, New Orleans.

Did you limit the choices to intentionally keep certain cities from getting votes over Atlanta?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he did, even that doesn't help much...ATL still isn't in the lead.

BTW...I voted for Atlanta.

I voted for NO mainly because it is a great place to visit. Head down for Mardi Gras and have a good time, but there is no way in heck I would ever live there. I have four friends (very different people and lifestyles too) who have lived in NO. My friends with families can't stand the public school system down there and the crime. Most of them were in Jacksonville (Navy) and were relocated to NO. One of them moved there by choice and only stayed one year until his lease was up. I have heard nothing but bad things from residents of NO. Great place to visit, horrible place to live is how I see it. I think that some great cities to live in were left off of the list. Charlotte in my opinion is not a great place to visit, but is a great place to live. Jacksonville is also a nice place to live although its kind of boring to visit (at least according to my fiance when we went down there for a vacation)

My friends with families can't stand the public school system down there

Well, I wouldnt send my kids to public school no matter where I lived. In New Orleans, there are a wide variety of good private schools too. I think I could have a good time while living in probably any major city in the SE. I really enjoyed living in Birmingham for 3 years, for example, although many people may disagree. If you make friends and live in the right place, you will be fine anywhere.

I remember when I first visited Birmingham back in 2001, and I was quite please with my experience there. I was there for a church convention which was held at the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Center, and from there, my mom and my siblings took a walk downtown. It was actually arond the same time the trial for those guys charged with bombing the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church (the four little girls) was going on. We had a really good time there, and I actually remarked that I could see myself living there. But we did notice the gritty part of downtown when we stumbled upon it, and we were like "Time to turn around"...LOL. But all in all, Birmingham was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

There are some people who just really can't live anywhere that's not their home base. I have a fraternity brother who's from Rock Hill, SC (near Charlotte), and got a job in Columbia about a year ago. He moved down there, but decided to move back because he thought it was "a sad place." But never did he attempt to actually LIVE in the city, because he would always come home on the weekends, he didn't really hang out with anyone down there, nor did he attempt to join any type of organizations or anything like that while he was living there. And because he is more familiar with Charlotte, he likes to compare the two cities. But you've got to let a city have its own identity. I think that Columbia is a great city for its size, and to be fair you must compare it with its peer cities, not bigger cities which will of course offer more amenities. I pretty much believe that ANY city will be what you make it. Sometimes having stuff to do in a city requires that you LOOK for things to do and broaden your horizons about the things that a city offers.

Archived