1. 1. Which City Is The Best To Live Or Visit In The South

• Atlanta
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans

Granted, I live in New Orleans, but, I've visited all on the list, and more, in the South and I stand by my choice...I'm home in New Orleans and it is the best in the South, by far. It depends what one seeks, though. I'm a seeker of depth and spiritual rewards in my City and my surroundings, and New Orleans offers this more than any other city in the South. Life takes on a different meaning in New Orleans, and I know that I like what I get from life through living here.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After visting Atlanta for a weekend I'd say its one of the better places to visit in the SouthEast. I had a much better experience then I have had in cities such as Miami and NO. I was out on one day for 15 straight hours without a car and had things to do without going into a paid tourist attraction. Its a pretty bustling place and feels pretty comfortable to me. I could see myself living in Buckhead if Charlotte collapsed for some reason or lost its appeal to me. Best place to visit = Atlanta, best place to live = Charlotte.

• 2 months later...

Savannah may not be that large but I think it is a great place. It has a true urban environment and It's just dripping in history and culture...not to mention Spanich moss. Believe it or not, Savannah is experiencing somehwat of a residential boom. It may not be in the form of a a gazillion foot tall condos, but many lowrise brownstone looking buildings that resemble the architecture of the city are going up. And since the port of Savannah is growing, it looks like the city will start to grow as well. Besides, the city is a hop,skip,and a jump away from the beach; what more could you want??

• 4 weeks later...

Atlanta and Miami are tied for me.

I love Miami but it is treated like a step child by the rest of the US. Sorry about that Miami. I love you like a brother! Bands that tour through the US will pass through ATL and not Miami. This kind of thing happens to Miami alot it seems. If I was from Miami I would cringe at "it's too far south". It's a lame excuse. But for me this is why the city lacks a better cultural draw for me. It's locked out of so much. Just b/c Spanish & English share a home doesn't make it more cultural. The high school where I went had more than 100 languages spoken in it as the first language. That's a lot of diversity for a small georgia town like Chamblee (suburb of ATL where I was born).

As for the rest of the southern cities outside of Texas; "not another Atlanta" is so lame! You know nothing of what it is like to live here if you think it's bad. The most common thing I hear is that the traffic is bad. ATL is small, the city has less than 500,000 people and a lot of infrastructure. Metro ATL has 4,500,000 people and a suburban infrastructure. So for an Atlantan, the traffic you blame on us is missguided and actually intended for our northern burbs which are out of control and slightly racist/classist. They don't want our rail system, marta in their counties b/c??? Well I still don't get it.

Atlanta is a cultural city that is growing up to be a well balanced adult with open arms and oportunity for all. It's an amazing place to live. You should all move here.

• 5 weeks later...

well this poll definitely asks two different questions so here goes...nashville i heard was a good place to raise a family in, so it is therefore the best to live in, now if you are single, then atlanta or miami or houston/dallas is the best for jobs...to visit, any of those cities would be fun to visit

Um........What about Charlotte??? Hello??

Atlanta is the state capital and all of Georgia resources goes there. New Orleans is the Sicily of the South, so much potential to be the greatest city in the South if it rebuilds correctly,Charlotte is the up and coming King of the South ,just add Raliegh Durham to your metro area like Atlanta and then you could compare to Atlanta. Miami is the gold coast,Nashville has great music, education and Dave Ramsey,Memphis is treated like a stepchild.Dallas makes Atlanta look like trailer trash and Houston is the Chairman of the Board and next to New Orleans has the best food in the South, Another metro area to watch is San Antonio/Austin the fastest growing in the South

which city do u chose to live or visit in the south!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INVESTOR'S GUIDE 2006

The Top 100 Real Estate Markets: Is the Party Over?

Well, not everywhere. FORTUNE asked Moody's Economy.com and Fiserv CSW to analyze home sales data for the country's 100 largest metro regions. They ranked each area by its projected price change for 2006. No. 1? San Antonio. Dead last: Las Vegas.

San Antonio/Austin metro the next great Southern metrop0lis

Skyscrapers do not make a great city

• 3 weeks later...

While I resent that comment about Atlanta looking like "trailer trash"next to Dallas, I just consider the source.

Of the cities listed, to live in I'd choose

1. Nashville - often voted the "friendliest" city and even had a dateline or 20/20 episode devoted to that and proving that. It is this growing large city that still retained its country manners.

2. Charlotte - Next to Nashville, I'd pick Charlotte. While it wallows in its own overblown pool of self-importance, I'd have to agree it is a very progressive, growing city. Maybe if I lived there, I'd see what the fuss is.

To visit:

Memphis - It's just a nice river city.

Miami - the beach of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it is Atlanta's turn for a clueless forummer - ok then, it's only fair: time for everyone to express your disgust with Atlanta! :)

No offense, but I don't see why It's considered clueless or naive to have a positive view of your city. I agree it's healthy to know and realize your city's flaws but you shouldn't beat the boosterism out of someone who's proud of their city.

I think NC is a great state. iIt has mountains, beaches, big cities, small towns and everything in between.

I'm from Georgia and while I like the North Georgia mountains, I think the NC mountains have us beat. For one, they're taller, and most of your mountain towns (aside from Cherokee) has been able to retain its appalachian charm, unlike a lot of N. Georgia towns like Clayton and Blue Ridge that have succumb to typical Atlanta sprawl (although these towns are about 2 hours away from the city)

I do however, think the GA coast is a little better than the NC coast. It's more subtropical (spanish moss, Palmettos) and it has this amazing charm, unlike any other beaches I've been to.

Florida has us both beat on beaches though

• 2 weeks later...

Archived