• Houston
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some people who just really can't live anywhere that's not their home base. I have a fraternity brother who's from Rock Hill, SC (near Charlotte), and got a job in Columbia about a year ago. He moved down there, but decided to move back because he thought it was "a sad place." But never did he attempt to actually LIVE in the city, because he would always come home on the weekends, he didn't really hang out with anyone down there, nor did he attempt to join any type of organizations or anything like that while he was living there. And because he is more familiar with Charlotte, he likes to compare the two cities. But you've got to let a city have its own identity. I think that Columbia is a great city for its size, and to be fair you must compare it with its peer cities, not bigger cities which will of course offer more amenities. I pretty much believe that ANY city will be what you make it. Sometimes having stuff to do in a city requires that you LOOK for things to do and broaden your horizons about the things that a city offers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are absolutely correct. Some people are hard to please. I was raised in a small southern town of about 15,000. I attended community college in this same town. Sure, there really was no entertainment options, but we found ways to have a good time. Those years were some of my best. To me, anyone who has to live in a city the size of New York City to keep from boredom is a little too high-maintenance for me to associate with. I love the amenities of living in a larger city, but at the same time, I don't need these things to be happy. Life seems a little happier (and easier) when you enjoy the simple pleasures. Man, that sounds really southern, doesn't it?

I've found that mid-sized college towns offer the best of both worlds - amenities similar to large cities with a small town feel. I noticed that there were no mid-sized college towns on the poll, so I had to settle with Nashville (a great city, by the way!). And I would like to cast a negative vote for ATL. I lived there once. It won't happen again.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think New Orleans is the best city in the south. It has so much history, and so much entertainment. I would say New Orleans is one of the most unique cities in the world.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO is the dirtiest, trashiest city in the US. Not to mention one of the most corrupt.

I dont't think Texas should be a part of the South anyway, It doesn't seem exactly southern to me. I think It should be included in the same region as Oklahoma. I dont diskike Texas or Anything but I think the South's Western Border should stop at Mississippi.

I like Miami for both choices, with New Orleans running a close 2nd. However, with cost of living/housing skyrocketing, and job quality not keeping up, I question how long Miami will be a reasonable place to live for the middle class.

ATL4EVER, this has been the subject of debate on many other threads. I agree that most of Texas is not southern, but eastern Texas definitely is southern. And you can't possibly claim that Arkansas and Louisiana are not southern. If you still think so, maybe go visit those places. You'll see for yourself.

Your "south's western border" should be moved to somewhere around College Station, Texas down through Houston.

In elementary school and middle school, my geography books had a region called "The Southwest". It included Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona. Maybe Neo and monsoon could look in to creating o a forum about the Southwest when posting gets up in those states.

ATL4EVER, Louisiana and Arkansas are typically considered the South by most. Tell me their culture doesn't resemble the rest of the South's in some way (especially with the Antebellum plantations and accents).

well this poll was destined to go to merde. i chose nashville. is it because i live in nashville? of course. i vote with my feet. but i have different needs than others do. if they wanna live in atlanta, then that's what they wanna do. to each their own.

well this poll was destined to go to merde. i chose nashville. is it because i live in nashville? of course. i vote with my feet. but i have different needs than others do. if they wanna live in atlanta, then that's what they wanna do. to each their own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's a "merde"?

Come on now. What southern cities have more soul than Memphis and New Orleans. None! But out of the two, I have to choose Memphis because its my home. Many cities' skylines are better than ours, but we didn't sell out our history for glass and steel structures. There are some nice tall buildings in Memphis, but the history in our skyline speaks for itself. Most new offices are built in the center of the city or out east. We have great universities, eateries, music, architecture, great companies, and especially a vast amount of cultured people. I haven't been to a place yet where the rich and not so rich can live next door or across the street from each other in harmony (Midtown Memphis)! GO GRIZZLIES!!

I dont't think Texas should be a part of the South anyway, It doesn't seem exactly southern to me. I think It should be included in the same region as Oklahoma. I dont diskike Texas or Anything but I think the South's Western Border should stop at Mississippi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's always going to be a problem. Which 'south' is someone talking about? Deep South, Southeast, or just South? From my perspective growing up in Arkansas. I tended to think of everything east of the Mississippi as the Deep South or Southeast. Although southeast Arkansas culturally seems very similar to this region. But when talking about a broader sense of the South, you can include Louisiana, Arkansas and at least east Texas. All of those states were a part of the confederacy. Texas is a really big state though. The east is more southern culture, west Texas is much more typical western culture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's asinine to use a geographic feature, especially a river, to determine a cultural entity. In fact, the Mississippi River is the very thing that unites Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Western Tennessee into the Mississippi Delta culture; and, as it's been put, the Delta is the "South's South." This is the region that first comes to mind when most think about the South. It's a land of old plantations and cotton fields. Depending on the source, Arkansas and Louisiana are often included as part of the Deep South.

The South is a big region, and has various subcultures within it. There's the Southern mountain culture of the Appalachains and Ozarks, the Mississippi Delta, the Atlantic Coastal region, etc. Despite the differences, all of these places make up the collective South. Even the East Texas region, with its unique culture, is unquestionably Southern.

One can't arbitrarily say where the South's borders "should" stop. Why "should" the South not be what it is in reality. I suggest you visit the places that you indiscriminately left out and see if you consider them Southern.

Arkansawyer: I agree. I have always thought that Southerners should not be exclusive but instead should be inclusive in terms of what regions we consider the South. Why cede parts of the country that have traditionally been Southern? I think of the South as the 11 states of the old Confederacy plus all of West Virginia, about 2/3 of Missouri, all of Oklahoma, parts of Maryland and all of Kentucky. These areas have been settled primarily by peoples similar to those in the core of the South, and/or have similar social/religious/political views and/or were areas of Confederate sympathizers back during the War Of Northern Aggression. Anyway, this is how I define the South.

The U.S. Census calls Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and eveything between those states "The South."  Missouri isn't included, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have news for you, Delaware is not the South and anyone who says it is, whether it is the U.S. census or not, is wrong.

i would have to say New Orleans is the best place to visit(a little biased) but because i live here i know that without tourists, there would be no new orleans, or at least the one that we know today. its a tourist friendly city because we want and need people to come back....

Miami comes in at 2nd and i guess atlanta would be 3rd

nashville and atlanta are probalby the best places to live, maybe charlotte

It's asinine to use a geographic feature, especially a river, to determine a cultural entity. In fact, the Mississippi River is the very thing that unites Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Western Tennessee into the Mississippi Delta culture; and, as it's been put, the Delta is the "South's South." This is the region that first comes to mind when most think about the South. It's a land of old plantations and cotton fields. Depending on the source, Arkansas and Louisiana are often included as part of the Deep South.

The South is a big region, and has various subcultures within it. There's the Southern mountain culture of the Appalachains and Ozarks, the Mississippi Delta, the Atlantic Coastal region, etc. Despite the differences, all of these places make up the collective South. Even the East Texas region, with its unique culture, is unquestionably Southern.

One can't arbitrarily say where the South's borders "should" stop. Why "should" the South not be what it is in reality. I suggest you visit the places that you indiscriminately left out and see if you consider them Southern.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well put.

Culturally, I never considered South Louisiana to be much a part of the South--and it IS different--until I moved to the upper Midwest and realize how much a city like New Orleans really has so much, much more in common with a city like Little Rock--and vice versa--than either one does with, say, Minneapolis, Des Moines, or about any other city up here.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived