1. 1. Which City Is The Best To Live Or Visit In The South

• Atlanta
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Miami
    • Nashville
    • New Orleans

Charlotte is the up and coming King of the South ,just add Raliegh Durham to your metro area like Atlanta and then you could compare to Atlanta. Dallas makes Atlanta look like trailer trash and Houston is the Chairman of the Board and next to New Orleans has the best food in the South

I'm getting tired of Charlotte fanboys boosting up their city beyond what it deserves.

Does anyone else see the ridiculous self-importance self-infatuation that Charlotte people have??? To the point of totally dissing their (for some reason) #1 nemesis... Atlanta, GA??? Why must you Charlotte people fight us like this? Why have you waged a bloodless war on your one sworn enemy the ATL? If your fanaticism doesn't blind you you know that your city is headed down the same path Atlanta has traveled. Same growth rate, same sprawl, same everything almost. One day Charlotte will become what Atlanta is today, but somehow you'll convince yourselves that that isn't a bad thing, because after all we're talking about Charlotte here, God's gift to mankind. Sure... just watch

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duh... Atlanta. Although, I really like Dallas a lot. The DT is better than Atlanta. But Dallas doesn't really have the concentration of nightspots that Buckhead. Sure I know all about Uptown, Oak Lawn, M'bird Station, Restaurant Row (new one), etc... but that's proves my point, Dallas' is all spread out. Atlanta has it all right there at Buckhead. Ahhhhh!

Why isn't Orlando listed? I think it's a contender.

I'm getting tired of Charlotte fanboys boosting up their city beyond what it deserves.

Does anyone else see the ridiculous self-importance self-infatuation that Charlotte people have??? To the point of totally dissing their (for some reason) #1 nemesis... Atlanta, GA??? Why must you Charlotte people fight us like this? Why have you waged a bloodless war on your one sworn enemy the ATL? If your fanaticism doesn't blind you you know that your city is headed down the same path Atlanta has traveled. Same growth rate, same sprawl, same everything almost. One day Charlotte will become what Atlanta is today, but somehow you'll convince yourselves that that isn't a bad thing, because after all we're talking about Charlotte here, God's gift to mankind. Sure... just watch

Charlotte will not be like Atlanta, two different places, Atlanta is growing way too fast

between 2000 and 2004, Atlanta added 486,018 to its metro

Charlotte added 170,776

from www.demographia.com

at this rate, charlotte will not catch up to atlanta and thus will never be a worthy rival size-wise.

In the south IMO atlanta is unrivaled. this is assuming though that...

Miami is not "southern"

Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston view themselves more as southwestern, or Texan, than southern

in this case, i think that atlanta is the champion of the south and the gap between it and the other southern cities is growing fast.

Why isn't Orlando listed? I think it's a contender.

I'm from Orlando and don't really think it would compare on an even keel w/the cities listed. Yes, there are a lot of things to do here and the quality of life is great; but our commercial and industrial base is still maturing to the calibre of the cities listed in this poll. I could be wrong, so someone else feel free to correct me regarding Orlando.

I chose Miami. Atlanta is definitely a great city, but nightspots like Buckhead can get old quickly. In Miami, it seems as if a new night spot opens every week. Regardless of nightspots, the beaches of Miami are the jewel of Florida, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Atlanta and Miami are tied for me.

I love Miami but it is treated like a step child by the rest of the US. Sorry about that Miami. I love you like a brother! Bands that tour through the US will pass through ATL and not Miami. This kind of thing happens to Miami alot it seems. If I was from Miami I would cringe at "it's too far south". It's a lame excuse. But for me this is why the city lacks a better cultural draw for me. It's locked out of so much. Just b/c Spanish & English share a home doesn't make it more cultural. The high school where I went had more than 100 languages spoken in it as the first language. That's a lot of diversity for a small georgia town like Chamblee (suburb of ATL where I was born).

As for the rest of the southern cities outside of Texas; "not another Atlanta" is so lame! You know nothing of what it is like to live here if you think it's bad. The most common thing I hear is that the traffic is bad. ATL is small, the city has less than 500,000 people and a lot of infrastructure. Metro ATL has 4,500,000 people and a suburban infrastructure. So for an Atlantan, the traffic you blame on us is missguided and actually intended for our northern burbs which are out of control and slightly racist/classist. They don't want our rail system, marta in their counties b/c??? Well I still don't get it.

Atlanta is a cultural city that is growing up to be a well balanced adult with open arms and oportunity for all. It's an amazing place to live. You should all move here.

Americans may view Miami as "too far south" But if you look at Miami globally, it has a very strategic location between North America, South America, the Caribbean, Europe, and Africa. It's the gateway to the Americas and is fast becoming the Hong Kong of Latin America.

Of this group of cities I chose Atlanta. You couldn't ask for a more fun city to vacation in:)

I have vacationed in Atlanta several times and thoroughly enjoyed each time. The restaurants are fabulous and the cosmopolitan atmosphere is wonderful!

Archived