Moonlight Movie

DavePaulk

Last night I went to the Moonlight Movie at Jacksonville Beach, and it got me thinking. Why can't the city do something like that in town?? The movie was very well attended, and the city has many venues capable of hosting a similar outdoor event. For an outdoor movie, i was thinking Riverside Park would be a good location. Granted, a little more work would have to be done to set up a screen, but it would be worth it. As they say, "if you build it, and it's free, they will come". As the man said last night, we live in one of the greatest cities in the country, so why not celebrate that.

I was just throwing that idea out there, in case The Urban Core wants to do yet another great thing for our city.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I went to the Moonlight Movie at Jacksonville Beach, and it got me thinking.  Why can't the city do something like that in town??  The movie was very well attended, and the city has many venues capable of hosting a similar outdoor event.  For an outdoor movie, i was thinking Riverside Park would be a good location.  Granted, a little more work would have to be done to set up a screen, but it would be worth it.  As they say, "if you build it, and it's free, they will come".  As the man said last night, we live in one of the greatest cities in the country, so why not celebrate that. 

I was just throwing that idea out there, in case The Urban Core wants to do yet another great thing for our city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Springfield has done this type thing before. I'm not sure if they still are.

Not only was there a movie, but many local eateries set up stands and sold food. The movie followed a few remarks made by a 96.9 DJ and some guy from PRI productions (maybe, not quite sure of the name), who showed a 5 minute video highlighting Jacksonville.

The was not too much of a problem. A small shower caused a few people to leave, but it only lasted for a few minutes. The majority of the people stayed the entire length of the film.

In my first post in this thread, I said Riverside Park would be a good location. I meant to say Memorial Park. I agree with Viper, Memorial's large open space would be perfect for hosting such an event. There are also many dining options nearby.

I think it should be done at the corner of Laura and Adams in downtown. Project the movie up where the center theatre once stood (on the side of the lerner building). Folks could bring blankets and chairs and sit in the grassy area on the corner. Well, except we'd have to find a legit place for people at 11 E to walk their dogs first...it's like a mine field out there right now.

Been advocating for this for years...even checked into the cost...PRI is very expensive.

One large hurdle is the light. You've really got to do this in the dark (which makes the Lerner and/or Marble Trio projection a decent site). Then you have to have a major projector, even at night with no moon. I think it would work best in the fall when it gets darker earlier and I would suggest a ramp up of events to get a good crowd out... my two pennies

its where you go to the pavillion at jax beach and sit on the grass and watch an old classic for free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I lived in Miami in the early 2000s Miami Bch did something like this. It seemed to be well-rec'd down there. From the way the OP made it sound, the one at Jax Bch also seems to have gotten a good response.

I wouldn't recommend the Moonlight Movies at the beach. I took a girl to one recently and the night consisted of constantly telling the homeless that I didn't have any money on me, being trampled over the top of by rude people every five minutes and nearly getting into a fight with two obviously intoxicated stick-thin teenagers in wifebeaters. Definitely not exactly the most positive scene, but I might have just had an unusually bad experience.

Yeah, I think you just had bad luck. I didn't even see anything that would have struck me as negative. My moonlight movie consisted of me and a thousand or so people enjoying a classic movie and loving our city. I would recommend it to anyone.

Archived