Pictures of New Building Construction in Charlotte

dxartist

I was downtown earlier today for a bike show and here are some pics I got for new buildings that are going up or destroyed in one case. Looks like progress is pretty good so far.

enjoy

Mecklenburg Courthouse

1116632137140_DSC01811.JPG

1119392142751_DSC01810.JPG

Courtside (it looks shorter than the website pics)

1119233755264_DSC01813.JPG

1118944563184_DSC01812.JPG

Destruction of that crappy Inn

1119754814368_DSC01816.JPG

2 Wachovia Main

1119801148903_DSC01818.JPG

1119059280213_DSC01819.JPG

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24719348-M.jpg1119233755264_DSC01813.JPG

It appears that they are just one floor from starting on the smallest floorplates. I suspect they'll be topping out very soon. Since so high a percentage of the skin is just glass, this will really start to be looking finished on the outside before summer's end, i think.

walked by the 230 S Tryon Condo site and it looks like they are FINALLY getting started to seriously gut the place out. The lot entrance is now blocked and there are 2 big industrial dumpsters. The bottom floor offices are still there. Maybe they will clear those in the last minute or something.

great news. if OCC is actually torn down in two wks as expected (i think) then all the major projects will be under construction with the exception of Park and Renwick (which are presumed dead by most of us) and the Vue (which has a longer horizon, no pun).

just a quick update.

1. the old inn on Trade is finally leveled, all that's left is the debris

2. the construction on Courtside is now on the 14th floor

3. Talked to the foreman from one of the construction company and they putting the metal skeletons for the skin on the 2 Wachovia Main Building so they can get ready to test windows for waterproofing or something like that

4. Will have new pictures the 1st of July on a new thread to show progress

No, and no.

The vue isnt slated to be done til 2008, and the epicentre cant exactly be built until the convention center is taken down, which is supposed to be this weekend. However, I am not sure how soon after the building is taken down that the epicenter will begin, I would hope as soon as the lot is cleaned up.

No, and no.

The vue isnt slated to be done til 2008, and the epicentre cant exactly be built until the convention center is taken down, which is supposed to be this weekend. However, I am not sure how soon after the building is taken down that the epicenter will begin, I would hope as soon as the lot is cleaned up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Vue sales center will open in the independence center within the year.

Avenue has broken ground, they have a huge crane going up there now and they are clearing the lot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, we've got significant ongoing construction activity on seven projects:

Courtside - 16th of 17 floors with poured concrete

Court6 - foundation poured

Drakeford 8th&M - grading work ongoing

Avenue - crane going up

Trademark - center city inn demolished

Epicentre - implosion on Sunday

230 S. Tryon - interior being torn out

Very nice pics, I'm actually very impressed with the look of the new CVS, its good to see that they went with a very out of the box design.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. i love it, not only for bringing a very needed neighborhood retail service to downtown, but also for creatively reusing and reviving an old garage building.

i would have preferred a smaller brand sign, and something different that the bay windows, but they aren't that bad.

The interesting thing about this building is that in the architectural rendering you see IJL (interstate johnston lane) financial center seemingly towering over the Avenue, when the avenue is 36 stories and IJL is 30 stories. This leads me to believe that the avenue is indeed taller, even though the rendering suggests otherwise.

Avenue will likley be in the 410'-440' range. Even though its 36 floors as opposed to IJL's 30 it being residential will lower the height below IJL's 447'. Residential floors are typically 10-11' where as offices tend to be 12-14' in height.

I'm dissapointed we don't have any solid height figures on any of the new tower's going up. I hope we get them figured out soon. I hate not knowing how tall they are going to be. With Avenue and Trademark already nearing or under cunstruction we should at least know their completed heights.

Avenue will likley be in the 410'-440' range. Even though its 36 floors as opposed to IJL's 30 it being residential will lower the height below IJL's 447'. Residential floors are typically 10-11' where as offices tend to be 12-14' in height.

I'm dissapointed we don't have any solid height figures on any of the new tower's going up. I hope we get them figured out soon. I hate not knowing how tall they are going to be. With Avenue and Trademark already nearing or under cunstruction we should at least know their completed heights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Avenue would have to be well north of 400'. Here is my reasoning. If you look at the Carillon building and compare it to Trademark it is almost the same height. Trademark is 28 stories and the Carillon is 394 feet. Outside of the spires on the Carillon the building look almost equal in height. Emporis has Trademark pegged at exactly 300'. Could this be right??? Hmmmm. If the Avenue is 8 floors taller than Trademark, then one would have to assume that it would be at least taller than the Trademark is. My assumptions would put it at 425-440' feet in height. Consequently IJL is a smidge under 450' @ 447'. I agree that the rederings are somewhat misleading. Even if you assume simple math the building would be around 432' (36 floors x 12' per floor). At 10' a floor the number drops to 360' though. ;)

I think that they would have floors that run closer to 11 or 12 though.

A2

atlrvr where are you at??? We need some bldg math here. :blink: Where do you see these bldgs in height?

Here is another one to ponder. The Arlington is only 22 stories (I think I am right on this ;) ) and it is 310' feet. How could Emporis have a 28 story bldg like Trademark running at 300' when it is 6 floors taller and actually has SOME office in its building. Hmmmmm... One has to wonder. <_<

A2

Archived