Pictures of New Building Construction in Charlotte

dxartist

that math seems off to me.

- emporis likely doesn't have a final number

- i'm not sure the trademark-carillon equality is an established fact

- i doubt the cost-saving novare will do 12'/floor for a resi tower

i think it will be roughly 360' to 380', and definitely shorter than IJL.

we may just have to wait until actuals are announced.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have read/been told, Avenue will have 10' ceiling heights, which ususally translates into about 11' per floor....BUT, remember it is on top of 8 floors of parking could be anywhere from ~8'-14' in height, depending on the ramp design......just to keep it simple, I'll assume 11' as well.

The roof element is fairly insignificant, so I wouldn't add more than an extra floor of height......therefore I would put it at 37x11'=407'

As far as TradeMark, that number comes from a casual number Furman through out to Doug Smith (right around 300') was I believe his quote......Considering that this is NOT built over parking, it's a bit easier to guess.....17' for first floor retail, 13' for floors 2-6 office, and 11' for floors 7-27, and 17' for the penthouse = 330' plus it looks like another 20' for the roof element (not including the spire)......so I'd put this one right at 350'.

Again, I made a note about Emporis in the Charlotte Area Statistics thread.....

From what I have read/been told, Avenue will have 10' ceiling heights, which ususally translates into about 11' per floor....BUT, remember it is on top of 8 floors of parking could be anywhere from ~8'-14' in height, depending on the ramp design......just to keep it simple, I'll assume 11' as well.

The roof element is fairly insignificant, so I wouldn't add more than an extra floor of height......therefore I would put it at 37x11'=407'

As far as TradeMark, that number comes from a casual number Furman through out to Doug Smith (right around 300') was I believe his quote......Considering that this is NOT built over parking, it's a bit easier to guess.....17' for first floor retail, 13' for floors 2-6 office, and 11' for floors 7-27, and 17' for the penthouse = 330' plus it looks like another 20' for the roof element (not including the spire)......so I'd put this one right at 350'.

Again, I made a note about Emporis in the Charlotte Area Statistics thread.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Atlrvr !!! I guess I will take 350'. Heck, it's better than a parking lot. :w00t:

Looks like we are all basiclly saying the same thing as far as Avenue 400-440 except the 360-380 from Dubone which also could happen. Since we are at it we mise well go ahead and each of us through out a number (Guess) and in the end we can see who's guess and math was closest. This is one of my favorite things about new proposals and construction, trying to figure out the final height. Course we won't know untill someone digs deep enough at the construction site's or untill they are released.

My guess's....

Avenue - 426'

Trademark - 368' (W/spire)

I had some idea on those, these are just from me messing around.

The Vue - 650' (W/spire's)

Epicentre - 614'

Wachovia - 522'

Well thats my go at it.

for some strange reason, I like total destruction of stuff. So, here's a few pics of the aftermath after the OCC was implode and a pic of the arena I got during lunch hour. For all those who don't venture downtown too much, here's some closeups. Ah well, I never liked that eyesore anyway (sorry AG Odell). Hope the rest of it gets chopped up faster than carrots in a diet clinic.

from ground level at 4th st

1119586363817_occ2.jpg

from the top of the Charlotte Plaza parking deck

1117953825416_occ4.jpg

yep, those pyramids are still standing like the ones in Egypt

1121219631965_occ5.jpg

here's my favorite, a shot of the Arena from high about One Wachovia. It looks actually looks small from that high up, so I superimposed it.

1118542141825_arena.jpg

thanks dx. great photo update.

i really didn't realize just how huge those pyramids were. i think i thought they were about a quarter of the size as they really are (seeing them next to the backhoe really puts them in perspective).

The semi-aerial of the arena really is cool, and the building is nice and all, but i think this building looks much better from the ground level. I think that was the design approach, and i'm cool with it, as it meant they were more concerned with pedestrians and urban fabric than with creating an icon that is only cool from the sky... I'm especially glad they didn't do a dome, as it makes it less cliche from this aerial perspective.

I'm sooooo happy that the OCC is out of here. Just seeing that wall still standing in the third photo reminds me how ugly that thing was. It is nice to see those trees still standing... the cold, stark, modern, geometric monolith built strong enough for to withstand cold war fears is now a big pile of rubble, but the trees remain and the sun returns. :) again, good riddance.

^Bite your tongue, dubone. I have a great photo I'll try and dig up of the "Charlotte Civic Center" at night. Man it was sexy when those pyramids were lit. Never was good at street level, but the roof line really added something. I'll miss it.

The demolition of so many mid-to late-century modern buildings is something we will regret in time. Architecture is so cookie cutter these days and nothing is built to have a life span beyond 30 years. We now build disposable buildings made of plastic, vinyl and styrofoam. Do we really expect the fake stucco of Epicentre (I do hate it when they use the UK/Canada way of spelling 'center') to last beyond 2050?

lol... i'll concede that it was okay when it was dark out and you were in the sky above it :).

i agree with you about the short-lifespan construction that is more common now, but i'd wager that the human-scale aspects of the epicenter will allow it to have much better longer lifespan than the civic center had.

Even though it had a solid frame, the bricks were falling off and the steel was rusting after only 30 years. While i know it would be in better shape if it had been maintained, the lack of human-centered design caused its useful lifespan to be much shorter than its physical lifespan.

I'd say that the lifespan of its usefulness, which is function of its design, is much more important than its physical lifespan. If people want to be in and around the building, it is easy to repaint and fix up stucco for the building to last longer... but when its overall design sucks the life out of its surroundings and no one wants to be in and around it, it doesn't quite matter that the building's structure could last a century.

i definitely agree that the new convention center has some anti-urban design qualities, too. i doubt they'd be able to retrofit retail or anything on the Brevard side, but they could possibly do it on that weird balcony-type fenced in area on stonewall, although people would have to go up half a flight of stairs. If the HOF is built and Brevard Freeway is cut down to a 2 lane road with wide sidewalks. Perhaps they can build in Kiosk-style retail into the blank parts of the building. There would be plenty of room, and it would allow for the sporatic operation that would be associated with conventions/events.

I wonder if the current convention center will have the same fate. The addition of the light rail through the building is nice, but the same "stand-offish" feel radiates from 3 of the 4 sides of the building.

Hopefully, someone will be smart enough to add 1st level retail to the CC along College and 2nd streets. Maybe as part of the NASCAR hall of fame???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree hueion39. I do not love the design either. It seems cold and Big boxish (please excuse my description), but at least it is not a stinking parking lot. I am curious do you know how our CC stacks up against other cities our size??? It would be good to know. Especially since we compete with so many other cities in the South for conventions.

A2

A2, they all look that way. That's what they're designed to do. The Javitz in NY, the Moscone in San Francisco, the Washington State in Seattle (and don't even ask about the Orange County CC in Orlando...an urban planning nightmare). None of them address the street in a decent way. I can only appreciate the designs of Washington State and Kansas City because they built them over freeways, thus using land that was already owned by the public.

A2, they all look that way.  That's what they're designed to do.  The Javitz in NY, the Moscone in San Francisco, the Washington State in Seattle (and don't even ask about the Orange County CC in Orlando...an urban planning nightmare).  None of them address the street in a decent way.  I can only appreciate the designs of Washington State and Kansas City because they built them over freeways, thus using land that was already owned by the public.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MC do you have the sq footage of the new CC???

A2

I agree hueion39. I do not love the design either. It seems cold and Big boxish (please excuse my description), but at least it is not a stinking parking lot. I am curious do you know how our CC stacks up against other cities our size??? It would be good to know. Especially since we compete with so many other cities in the South for conventions.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A quick search of convention centers in southern cities roughly clt's size.

Charlotte

850,000 sf total

280,000 sf exhbit hall

San Antonio

1,300,000 sf total

440,000 sf exhibit hall

Tampa

600,000 sf total

200,000 sf exhibit hall

New Orleans

3,000,000 sf total

1,100,000 sf exhibit hall

Nashville

118,675 sf exhibit hall

Austin

247,000 sf exhibit hall

I can't find the number, but I think I remember the new ballroom being 30,000 sf. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats nice. I hope Charlotte does win it. We have the best chance out of every body. When are they supposed to announce who won. :unsure:

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's wrong with you guys! The new convention center is P-I-M-P! I do have to admit it is kind of boxy but it does have some round edges. Just take a look at this website that shows some pictures CCC Photos And the inside is SOO modern. It looks 10 times better than any other convention center that i've seen in major cities. And, plus they're planning an expansion, but that won't happen for about 2 more years.

Archived