Pictures of New Building Construction in Charlotte

dxartist

Who is the only idiot to go jogging downtown with a digital camera in his hand after work? Me of course. I sweated (literally) for these pictures, so enjoy them ;n)

Wachovia Main: As you can see, there's more steel for the skin

1121550728056_wachmain.jpg

230 S Tryon: I'm not exactly sure what they built running down the building. Maybe it's a schute to drop all the junk down.

1121970591887_230_stryon.jpg

Trademark: The area was fenced and screened, so I had to shoot blind over the fence, at least the rubble for the most part is gone and the digging of the foundation has begun.

1120252237718_trademark.jpg

Avenue: It looks like a footrace between the Avenue and Trademark.

1119587128561_avenue.jpg

The Arena: Nuff Said

1120589610816_arena.jpg

Courtside: It looks like 2 more floors to go. Some windows have been installed on the lower condo units.

1120248173527_courtside.jpg

The Epicentre: I refuse to call it the OCC since it's gone, hey 1 pyramid left.

1122331315302_epicentre.jpg

the Meck Courthouse

1120575838971_courthouse.jpg

Metro School, I think it's a grade school or something.

1120383079782_metroschool.jpg

Well.....it's still there

1119627564077_thepark.jpg

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metro School serves approximately 200 students ranging in age from 5-21 who meet certification as trainable mentally disabled, severe and profoundly disabled, multi-disabled, educable mentally disabled and autistic. The school offers functional academics, speech and language services, physical and occupational therapy, music and art skills, media and technology skills, horticulture, home living and work force development training, and adaptive physical education.

Those numbers are for the current Metro School on 2nd Street. I'm not sure if the enrollment will increase since this seems to be a bigger campus. Anyone know what CMS is going to do with the old property? You can get a picture of the old campus at the top of each of the pages below.

Metro School Website

CMS Metro School site

i'm mixed on the courthouse. on one hand, it is nice that it has a a feeling of being massive, especially from the 4th and McDowell intersection. that way it overshadows the jailhouse, which is a very good thing. I wish that it could have been a little more iconic, though, and that they'd stop doing triangle-based footprints.

• 1 month later...

Ugh, my job will be moving me out of downtown to the University Area this coming Monday which really sucks. Anyway, it's been a while since someone posted updated pics of anything so here goes. It's going to be a long one.

Just the early stages of 230 South Tryon. I imagine it will eventually look like the Wachovia Main, as in all windows removed to look like a skeleton. There is a fence around the building on 3rd. Here's a pic from the 4th floor parking deck overlooking the parking lot which will be a future swimming pool and ammenities area.

1123322906069_01_230stryon.jpg

On to the Wachovia Main. As you can see, Batson Cook is starting to add the windows and siding. Sure looks a lot different from a couple of weeks ago when it was not but skeleton.

1126294360614_02_wachmain.jpg

Trademark still looks the same, except for those marking stakes on the ground. That would make one heck of a swimming pool. Also, it is interesting that most of the cover has been removed fom the fence.

1125614284795_04_trademark.jpg

After all that pounding, here's the end result of all these poles being staked on the ground. I was in the IJL building for a couple of hours and I can hear and feel the pounding. It doesn't look like much, but there's progress.

1126077722232_06_avenue.jpg

Here's something that is rarely talked about. Imaginon. It is basically completed on the outside. It's slated to open on October 8 according to a guy I bumped into. Sorry for the horrible pic.

1123569475806_07_imaginon.jpg

As you can see, Courtside is progressing nicely. Much of the windows of the lower level has been installed. After looking at the tower for a while, the building should have been taller. Say 10-15 stories taller. Not sure why Furman didn't make it as tall as it could be, but I'm sure he had his reason.

1126176132117_08_courtside.jpg

As for the Bobcats Arena itself, they better pick up the pace. The Stones are just around the corner. Gee, I wonder who are some of the sponsors? I guess I'll have to somehow sneak my Pepsi in the building.

1123093102128_09_arena.jpg

And to my left is the cleared out former OCC. I wonder if they are going to dig deeper for more underground parking? When I lived in Indianpolis in 1996, the Circle Center Mall had a parking deck 3 levels down. Or perhaps the surrounding parking decks will be used.

1125594156543_10_epicentre.jpg

I have no idea why, but it seems many in UP hate this building.

1122876199272_11_courthouse.jpg

Finally, some UP poster suggested that this sign be tipped over the last time I started a thread like this a while back. I see it differently. Instead of tipping it over, I took photoshop and turned it upside down. Since there's really only 1 park downtown, might as well show people where it is.

1123740337658_12_the_park.jpg

As you can see, Courtside is progressing nicely.  Much of the windows of the lower level has been installed.  After looking at the tower for a while, the building should have been taller. Say 10-15 stories taller. Not sure why Furman didn't make it as tall as it could be, but I'm sure he had his reason. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your job locale change sounds like Wachoviaitis :P . That seems to happen to a lot of those guys. Sorry about that as I wouldn't wish UP on anyone.

Great photos, I am glad you posted them. Its good to see the progress downtown.

Agreed about Courtside. It would have looked great with another 15 stories added as something is definitely missing from the current design. It kind of reminds me of a hotel in Myrtle Beach especially with that fin mounted on the top. I am thinking that Furman must have be nervous to committing to something larger as the other much taller buildings we have now were not on the books yet, and at that point he was a lowrise builder.

"Not sure why Furman didn't make it as tall as it could be, but I'm sure he had his reason."

I remember the Courtside announcement. That was momentous. At the time I don't think anyone could have imagined it, much less a taller version. Of course, after it sold out, and the other high-rise announcements, a taller building seemed like a slam dunk, but to go back and add floors carries risks and it's smarter to use those efforts for a second building like Trademark.

"Since there's really only 1 park downtown, might as well show people where it is."

Yeah, perfect!

thanks for taking these. it is getting to be amazing just how much is under construction around here.

that is really funny about the park.

i'm okay with the courthouse design (although you are right that many don't like it)... but for the love of pete FINISH THE DAMN THING!!! i think they put on a piece of stone per week. it is mollasses slow construction. i wonder if the top will remain open like that, where you can see the utility equipment.

i was thinking about the arena the other day.... originally, the design didn't have any of the brick treatments on the north side... can you imagine if the council had not told the architect to go back to the drawing board and make 5th street and caldwell street sides seem less like the "back" of the building? i now think that 5th street side looks better than the trade street side.

Remember that courtside *did* add floors. I think the earliest proposals were 11-15 floors. Then it was publicized at 16. And finally a 17th was added.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point. actually, the initial rendering disclosed to the public was only 10 floors. Because of the suprising level of interest during the "pre-public" marketing, they upsized it to 17 floors and still sold out fairly quickly.

Just curious what people think of the ImaginOn design for those who have seen it up close.

I actually think it's a pretty neat design although my opinions always seem to differ from the mainstream, which means I probably have bad taste.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

at first i didn't like it, but it has really grown on me in the last few years. it actually is neat just how colorful it is, both with the those 3 block-shapes on 7th street, but also how you look in through the windows and see all the colorful walls and stuff.

I think the 6th street side should have gotten some better street level design. The theatre is cool in general, but at the street level it has all the charm of a barn with metal siding.... every time i see it i imagine that it won't be long before it has graffiti on it.

I think the slanted concrete roof is okay... it has a cool effect at the corner of 7th/brevard.... but i think they could have maybe done something like a patio or grassy area on it for people, considering it is a LEEDs building.

Archived