Pictures of New Building Construction in Charlotte

dxartist

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics!

1126176132117_08_courtside.jpg

A lot of people, including myself, have mistaken the red on the side of the building to be brick. When you actually get closer you realise its not brick but a fire protection coating they are putting on before the exterior grey stucco is applied. I like how Furman has stuck to his rendering...so far he has not deviated at all.

It's funny how short courtside is going to end up looking. But its cool that nowadays nothing less than 20-25 stories will even stand out in the charlotte skyline  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree. from the dowd y, you can barely see it. i originally thought it would be double the height of the bellsouth switch building, but obviously it is only just a little taller.

hopefully furman will be part of building a some 20-30 storey buildings between caldwell and college to help build the east west skyline. even with epicentre moving height to the east, there is not much >15 or 20 stories east of the transit tracks.

I wonder if Furman "isn't going to bother with" 3-4 story townhomes anymore. Maybe he feels like moving on to bigger things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good question. hopefully he will continue to do those townhouse projects like m-street and skyline terrace in areas on the cusp of a turnaround (possibly around belmont's hope vi district) at the same time as he develops mid and highrises downtown.

"Not sure why Furman didn't make it as tall as it could be, but I'm sure he had his reason."

I remember the Courtside announcement. That was momentous. At the time I don't think anyone could have imagined it, much less a taller version. Of course, after it sold out, and the other high-rise announcements, a taller building seemed like a slam dunk, but to go back and add floors carries risks and it's smarter to use those efforts for a second building like Trademark.

"Since there's really only 1 park downtown, might as well show people where it is."

Yeah, perfect!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We met with Furman some time after Courtside was announced to discuss preliminary ideas for the Third Ward Park and he remarked at that time had he known the response he would have got in terms of selling the building out so fast, he would have made it 40 stories easily. At this time, Trademark was set to be announced the next week, so I expect him to keep going up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same about the Ritz, there was this big announcement about it, but there has been no timetable given to us about when costruction will start or anything.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Construction will begin in the 1st quarter of next year. This is a definate.

A2

Apparantly 615 E. Morehead has creaked forward a bit more.....slowly but surely. Renderings by early next year perhaps.

I would consider the reflections tower a dead deal, but who knows.

The Park is starting construction this month........I'm sorry, I can't type that with a straight face.

I'm surprised we haven't seen Wachovia renderings yet. From all indications they will start construction by the end of the year.

Apparantly 615 E. Morehead has creaked forward a bit more.....slowly but surely.  Renderings by early next year perhaps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me, the 615 E Morehead Project is extremely exciting. It will, IMO, be one of the more desireable Residential towers due to it's Incredible view and the fact that it is literally a part of two distinct neighborhoods (Dilworth and Uptown).

I know that atlrvr might have mixed feelings about the tower as it could interupt his nice view from where he lives. :P

Looks like you might have to upgrade atlrvr and buy a unit in 615 to regain your skyline view. I definately would like a unit. Outside of The Vue and perhaps Trademark, that is where I would put my money for Center City living.

A2

1122876199272_11_courthouse.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

okay, seriously, does anyone know what the hell is going on with this building? it is seriously taking forever for it to be built, and i drive by all the time and haven't seen any progress in ages.... but today i saw the side of the building that faces away from mcdowell, and NONE of the stone siding is up on that side!

What is the deal? They began construction on this building in July, 2003!!! (january 03 if you count the demolition of the old deck there) The superstructure, i believe, has been finished for more than a year. Are they accepting leftovers from the quary? how long does it take to put the stone up?

Was there some sort of problem with the waterproofing like on the cpcc building at elizabeth/independence, which stopped the masonry for a while as they reviewed how to avoid mold issues...

I looked through all the press releases and related items still available online, and i can't find any that list a projected completed date.

The courthouse...

Private developers probably weigh into their decision-making, just how reliable the contractors are and how likely they are to finish on time, when they accept bids.

Government? Hey, it'll get done when it gets done. If the low bid is slow, then well... we can just let the court records sit in the old building a while longer.

What are they building over on Morehead?  It is down from 615 E Morehead?

I see they are digging a big hole up to street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like the old Children's theatre building near Dilworth Rd. It's being re-developed into offices and retail complex. Here's the re-zoning application:

http://charmeck.org/Departments/Planning/R...ns/2005-090.htm

okay, seriously, does anyone know what the hell is going on with this building?  it is seriously taking forever for it to be built, and i drive by all the time and haven't seen any progress in ages....

I looked through all the press releases and related items still available online, and i can't find any that list a projected completed date.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually remember seeing a projected finish date for the new courthouse of Spring 2006 sometime well over a year ago. I remember thinking to myself (wow, they must be ahead of schedule or something... is it REALLY going to take that long??

(I think it was one of those .pdf files that charlottecentercity.org used to have with all the different new projects on it.)

What are they building over on Morehead?  It is down from 615 E Morehead?

I see they are digging a big hole up to street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The big hole is actually where the Lamplighter restaurant used to be. It will be a 3-4 story office building (35,000 sq. ft.) that will be home to Johnston Allison & Hord law firm and the building's developer, Primax Properties.

The Children's Theatre is still standing, but not for long. They building will also be 3 stories and around 35,000 sq. ft.....I don't know of any tenants signed to it yet.

Archived