PROPOSED: 600 Biscayne tower at Freedom Tower site

logybogy

0612front.jpg

Posted on Sun, Jun. 12, 2005

DEVELOPMENT

Conflict over Freedom Tower

By ANDRES VIGLUCCI

[email protected]

When developer Pedro Martin purchased the Freedom Tower, Miami's most venerated landmark, he promised to handle the building with the utmost respect.

Now, as his $500 million condo tower appears headed for approval by the city, Martin says he is fulfilling his pledge.

His proposal: to shear off part of the Freedom Tower's rear, attach a glass cube to it, and wrap the slender Mediterranean shaft of the 14-story tower with 62 floors of undulating, zigzagging condo balconies spanning two city blocks.

On Wedneday, the city's Planning Advisory Board will address whether grafting a towering highrise onto the Freedom Tower is the proper way to treat a city landmark.

Full article: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11874584.htm

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hate this building with a passion......its another ugly revuelta designed building just like wind,jade, and now 600biscayne..

unfortunatly the only way the city doesn't approve this is if atleast 100 people go to protest(cubans are good at this).and guess whos on the planning advisory board the one and only architect luis revuelta so expect him to get some votes in favor.

like i said on ssc we only have 2 landmarks the courthouse and freedom tower so lets not fudge up the freedom tower by putting one of these disgustingly designed condo buildings if somethings put there it has to be a future landmark not a future eyesore.

I hope that doesn't get approved. Freedom Tower is and will be one of the few buildings that stick out in the skyline. Everything else looks all relatively the same: new crap. I want this building to be left alone, it's not like it's an ugly monstrosity that is an eyesore. It's quite beautiful.

Let's make it 4 out of 4. I also have a lot of contept for this building. It's the wrong size in the wrong place at the wrong time. Let hime build a thinner tower next store. Dade county would do well to have bought the Freedom Tower when it was available. Downtown lacks character as it is. Freedom tower is very much a part of it and it'd be a shame to see it gobbled up.

Even if the towers wasn't there, these tower is just too wide. The city should respect the views if they expect development to go inland.

edit: ok 5 of 5.

The buildings don't really complement each other... the tower is rather gaudy, at least from the angle it is shown. In this case, the new building would actually be on the same parcel as the tower, which would require substantial modifications to the annex in the back of the building. Show me a better rendering and I might change my mind.

Was the Water Tower in chicago destroyed because skyscrapers were erected around it ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my complaint is not the towers around it, it's the towers building on top of it. I think it'd look beautiful with a slimmer tower next door and a tall tower to west overlooking the tower. This is too much, too close and too intrusive.

Ps. I think the developer and architect are making an honest effort to save the building and keep it's signifcance, but I also don't think it's enough.

An article stating as much here:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11905172.htm

One thing that's changed is the glass block.

The developers have made one change to their original proposal.

Terra's plan had included chopping off part of the Freedom Tower's rear and attaching to it a glass cube which would enclose a proposed museum.

The developers say they dropped the glass-cube idea after Miami planning director Ana Gelabert-S

Developers Say Condo Won't Overshadow Historical Building

Commission Discusses Condo Project Near Freedom Tower

nbc6.com

June 15, 2005

http://www.nbc6.net/news/4613566/detail.html

Mod note: news clippings require a summary (written in one's own words; see rules) and a link. Also, a topic is already open on this subject. Please post in an existing topic when relevant. ~"Aess"

• 2 weeks later...

^Move what?  The Freedom Tower?  I don't think that's possible.  But if you're referring to this new proposed tower, then yes, there are still plenty of vacant lots to build on, so they can move their fancy tower elsewhere, and leave the Freedom Tower alone!  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alone, dilapidated, in its parking lot ?

^Well.....yes lol.  Do whatever to the adjacent lots around the Freedom Tower.  Just don't build a monstrous tower...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there's a niggling little detail called 'money', which is what the developer was generously provided. I think the proper response on the part of the city would have been, 'Yes sir, Mr. Martin. Right away, Mr. Martin.' B)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived