Westminster St. District

AriPVD

The keys to a vibrant city are density, liberty, and variety. Convinient parking is nice but its more of an addiction than a necessity. Thayer and Newbery Streets both have no parking lots. Just street parking. New york is pedestrian or transit. The Cornish garage will be for apt tenants and event people. The hit and run folks like the local eat/drink crowd wont use it.

Westminster will do better once the buildings and lots are filled in. The Paolino lot at Empire St needs a tower. My architect had a client who commisioned him to draw 14 story twin residential towers sitting on a 2 story commercial building for that site. The 3rd story roof deck was a garden for the tower residents. Beautifull. That sort of thing, in concert with all the rest going on, would bring home the bacon to DownCity and solve the density problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree...I hope that there are forces at play (developer, city, demand) that will push anything like the twin towers you mention from two 16 floor towers to one 30-32. That adds great DEPTH to the Downcity...something that is now possible with the Westin, One Ten, and opening up Dorrance Stree to 30+ buildings.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to say this earlier on, but Westminster St. From 95 to Olneyville Square is getting new sidewalks, street trees and crosswalks as part of a RIDOT Enhancement Project.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, so we have Westminster and Elmwood getting large scale makeovers, and Atwells getting resurfaced (I don't think there are any plans for any major changes there at this point, though they are needed). The West Side is looking up. :)

Wow, so we have Westminster and Elmwood getting large scale makeovers, and Atwells getting resurfaced (I don't think there are any plans for any major changes there at this point, though they are needed). The West Side is looking up.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, and wait for the Promenade-Atwells-Smith Hill-Downcity pedestrian connection improvements.....hopefully they'll approve that.

Hey whaddaya know, a good Brassat column with nary a mention of his disdain for modernism.

It's a rally call for the city and the police to do something about the hooliganism that associates the closing of the bars downtown. A serious issue that needs to be addressed if the Westminster District is to thrive.

Hey whaddaya know, a good Brassat column with nary a mention of his disdain for modernism.

It's a rally call for the city and the police to do something about the hooliganism that associates the closing of the bars downtown. A serious issue that needs to be addressed if the Westminster District is to thrive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I liked what he said about 18yr old's having the right to drink. I definately believe they should.

Rumour has it the state is looking at the Dean Street interchange with 6/10. Have you seen or heard anything about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city applied for funding for a Promenade District/Smith Hill Pedestrian Access project. Basically, they want to link Smith Hill, Promenade, the mall, and downcity better for pedestrians. Included in this was pedestrian access between Waterplace Park and Dean Street to Federal Hill. So, it looks like the horrible pedestrian access on Dean St. will finally be looked at. Their goal is to create one contiguous pedestrian link from Fox Point to Federal Hill via Waterplace Park, the mall, Promenade and Dean St.

Now if they will receive the funds they asked for, thats another story....

Do you know if any public meetings are planned or what department comments can be sent to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I have no clue. I'm sure the Providence Planning Department would love to hear people's opinions on the crappiness of Dean St. though... :rolleyes:

Their goal is to create one contiguous pedestrian link from Fox Point to Federal Hill via Waterplace Park, the mall, Promenade and Dean St.   

Now if they will receive the funds they asked for, thats another story....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it's a Master of the Obvious reply to say that it's a fantastic idea. With as scalable and walkable as Providence is, it's great that some effort to make this easier is being undertaken.

I have to say, I'm still a bit confused as to who directs the "big picture" around here. We've got Prov 2020, RIDOT, RIPTA, Zoning, Planning, Downcity, Capitol District, and other commitees, groups, etc. etc... I thought I kinda knew how this worked about a year ago, but with the flurry of activity and upgrades and proposals, I'm not so sure anymore... Can someone in the know put together some kind of organizational flow chart?

- Garris

I have to say, I'm still a bit confused as to who directs the "big picture" around here.  We've got Prov 2020, RIDOT, RIPTA, Zoning, Planning, Downcity, Capitol District, and other commitees, groups, etc. etc...  I thought I kinda knew how this worked about a year ago, but with the flurry of activity and upgrades and proposals, I'm not so sure anymore...  Can someone in the know put together some kind of organizational flow chart?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too sure exactly what the main driving force in Providence is, but I can say that in this case, the City's planning department planned the project and then applied for federal funds through RIDOT. That's how a lot of projects go forth in the city. Usually, for transportation projects, including Enhancement ones (which can be anything from sidewalks to bikepaths to historic rehab.) the feds will fund up to 80% of the project cost through RIDOT (on a reimbursement basis), if the project is selected for funding. Usually the city comes up with the project though, designs, etc., and merely gets funding for it through RIDOT. Once the project has federal funds in it though, there's a huge multi-step process that must be followed to the tee, which is why even simple sidewalk projects take years and years to be designed and constructed.

I have to say, I'm still a bit confused as to who directs the "big picture" around here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ultimately, the mayor. Providence's government structure makes for a very powerful mayor. Ask Buddy about that.

Ultimately, the mayor. Providence's government structure makes for a very powerful mayor. Ask Buddy about that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Cianci, that was part of the problem in Hartford, a weak mayor. He and former Hartford Mayor Mike Peters were good friends. As a matter of fact Peters son interned in Cianci's office. I hope he didn't learn any bad habits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Quoting myself from another thread:

Ian has a post on Not For Nuthin about the grocery store coming to the Fletcher Building.

http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/notfornothing/...ed-up-anew.aspx

He also mentions that Buff is still looking for a place for an art house (perhaps Sundance) cinema Downcity. *cough*Grant's Lot*cough*

Archived