Civic Theatre Renovation

joeDowntown

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it was because this thread was buried until GRDad revived it last week ;) .  Maybe that's when GRBJ noticed the Joe's post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably right. If someone just glanced at it and didn't look at the DATES at the top of the posts, they could make that mistake. So Street Talk is reporting gossip we knew about 2 months ago. Maybe Rick and Scott will pick up on downtown's revitalization a couple of years from now :lol:

Well, that isn't to say I am important or anything ;) , it just narrows down who I am if you know me (read: my source for this info may now pelt me with stones). :)

The Pizza Guy... :ph34r:

I think that info was on your "demographic" page way back.  I still don't know who you are Joe (John), so you can still enjoy some anonymity (sp?)  :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoever wrote this in the GRBJ must either be a member here or an avid reader to know about the demographics page from way back when. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more members join us now that UrbanPlanet is in print (maybe even some people in high places :) ) Who knows, maybe we can get our own section in the Business Journal. :D

M. Brown, if you go back to post #21, they mention UrbanPlanet by name.

I can't believe I am the first one to post this, but in today's (Sundays) GR Press, there is the formal announcement regarding the Civic renovations, with Fred Meijer (again) putting substantial money toward the project:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=1

Fred Meijer also offered to build a brand new performing arts center, but they decided to keep the current Civic location to anchor that side of downtown.

But check out this sentence on the second page near the end:

"Although Grand Action has tried to conceal details of the renovation until Tuesday's announcement, some elements were posted on the Internet."

Ha, wonder where on the internet they could be talking about :whistling:

If I remember correctly, there were 3 versions of renovations that they were exploring. The first was just a base upgrade to the interior, the second was a renovation to both the inside and outside, and the third was total renovation with retail space and residential to be included. I am guessing by the press release that they are going with the second option. Anybody care to fill us in on where the final plan lies amongst the 3 proposals?

If I remember correctly, there were 3 versions of renovations that they were exploring.  The first was just a base upgrade to the interior, the second was a renovation to both the inside and outside, and the third was total renovation with retail space and residential to be included.  I am guessing by the press release that they are going with the second option.  Anybody care to fill us in on where the final plan lies amongst the 3 proposals?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, none of the articles mentioned anything other than interior renovations and exterior work along Library St. and the corner. Nothing about the rest of the buildings along Division. Did I miss something? Is this going to be a full historic renovartion inside? It's pretty piecemeal in there right now. Also do we know what materials are being used on that corner facade?

Yah, none of the articles mentioned anything other than interior renovations and exterior work along Library St. and the corner.  Nothing about the rest of the buildings along Division.  Did I miss something? Is this going to be a full historic renovartion inside? It's pretty piecemeal in there right now.  Also do we know what materials are being used on that corner facade?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found this quote in one of the articles:

"The theater complex, including rehearsal halls, classrooms and offices, sprawls over the first and second floors of four buildings stretching along Division Avenue from Library Street to Monroe Center. Tinker said this project will integrate those spaces and improve the traffic pattern."

Since this project is about $10 Mil instead of $14 Mil, that might explain why we haven't heard any more about a residential or retail portion.

And it said the reconstructed tower would be gold brick with blue tile accents.

The only thing that I do not like about the rendering is the buildings on the far right look boarded up, which is their current state.  This could be just the renderings way of drawing attention to the renovation, but I hope that something will be done with the boarded up buildings too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those "gray" buildings are slated for renovation too. Not sure why they didn't include in the renderings. The guys at Quinn/Evans in Ann Arbor have their hand in this renovation. They are top notch when it comes to this kind of work, locally the Cathedral of St. Andrew and Wealthy Street Theatre.

You trying to out me Rizzo? ;)

We are the "other" company with global reach in Ada, growing like a weed. But I don't see what this has to do with the Civic... :)

Joe

joedowntown works for 4x, the world largest online global currency trading market...located in Ada. I wonder how much this private company is worth?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is good to hear. They "greyed" out buildings are some of the most ornate buildings left in GR. I can't wait to see the renovated versions...

Those "gray" buildings are slated for renovation too.  Not sure why they didn't include in the renderings.  The guys at Quinn/Evans in Ann Arbor have their hand in this renovation.  They are top notch when it comes to this kind of work, locally the Cathedral of St. Andrew and Wealthy Street Theatre.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived