Civic Theatre Renovation

joeDowntown

Gotta repeat props to Fred Meijer for making this happen. It's amazing how something as simple as not being able to get to his seat can motivate someone. I really love that man. Almost makes me cry.

I said almost.

Whenever I start telling folks from other regions or states about our local philanthropy, topics like this invariably come up. I usually brag on how rarely one darkens the door of a Wally World because there are so many Shifty's locales. I sometimes consider going to Tar-zhay (based in the twin cities, ate up JL Hudson's, ceased sponsorship of a major Detroit event) or other retailers (based elsewhere).

Then I think about Fred and the Civic and how he just said, in essence, "git 'er dun."

Bike trails, too.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

130922027_dc870f031e_o.jpg

130922025_3512d79144_o.jpg

Here are a couple images of the original building. Notice the tower on the corner and the gabled roof next door. The top floors were destroyed in a fire. :(

Tonight (4/18) will be walk-throughs at the Civic from 7:30 to 9:00 of the current state of construction.

Sorry, I will try to get the pictures to show up... (any ideas on how?)

130922027_dc870f031e_o.jpg

130922025_3512d79144_o.jpg

Here are a couple images of the original building. Notice the tower on the corner and the gabled roof next door. The top floors were destroyed in a fire. :(

Tonight (4/18) will be walk-throughs at the Civic from 7:30 to 9:00 of the current state of construction.

Since you haven't posted enough to receive a Personal Message, just post the link to your flickr site here and we'll see if we can help you out.

Quite a contemporary facade for 1943. "My Friend Flicka" was playing.

125-910.C-043.686-A.jpg

Good catch andrew69@ltu! I can now see how they are trying to recreate the old Civic look:

civicentrance.jpg

130922027_dc870f031e.jpg

(far left of picture)

It is interesting that it looks like they added a floor, and then moved the tower top back up again (looking at the two older pictures from sfloria)

Civic Theatre restoration tours draw rave reviews

The tour of the auditorium included a peek at a bold new painting scheme devised by Evergreen, a vintage theater restoration company.

"It adds a richness," said community art supporter and philanthropist Mary Ann Keeler, after she examined a section painted in the new colors. "The gold leaf is spectacular. They're doing a wonderful job."

Project manager Jim Leach said a 30-foot lighted sign will be hung in May on the new yellow brick tower that was added at the corner of North Division Avenue and Library Street.

A lot of praise was given to Fred Meijer at the tours.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was driving down Division this afternoon, I saw they had a lane blocked off and was hanging the new "Civic" sign on the corner. It looked pretty nice. I had wished I brought my camera with me but didn't :cry: Maybe someone else saw this today and took a pic for us.

When I was driving down Division this afternoon, I saw they had a lane blocked off and was hanging the new "Civic" sign on the corner. It looked pretty nice. I had wished I brought my camera with me but didn't :cry: Maybe someone else saw this today and took a pic for us.

civicsign.jpg

civicsign2.jpg

Wow, Those are nice. I didn't get a change to get down the side street to see the rest of the action going on.

No problem. I thought this was interesting, too:

civicside.jpg

Through this hole...

civicside2.jpg

...you can actually see the underside of the seats.

Nice shots dbrok! Looking at this picture, I wonder if they are going to expose the brick? Is that red paint all over the building now?

My guess is that they might strip away the old red paint and then add a new coat. The rendering has that portion of the building in red. In that 1943 photo, the brick is either exposed or painted a light color, so who knows how long that current red paint has been on the building.

Archived