How many Airports are over roads?

PghUSA

Yeah MCarren Intl has its airport connecter go under one of its taxiways. Its crazy because the speed limit is 55 but the traffic flow is 70 for about a mile. I like Mcarren though. Slot machines in the terminal and of course you never know who is gonna pop out of the limos at the skycap stands.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah MCarren Intl has its airport connecter go under one of its taxiways. Its crazy because the speed limit is 55 but the traffic flow is 70 for about a mile. I like Mcarren though. Slot machines in the terminal and of course you never know who is gonna pop out of the limos at the skycap stands.

I went through this tunnel this weekend upon returning from Vegas. Very impressive. It has to be at least 3/4 mile long too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

us_tn_nashville_airport_vp.gif

Highway 41 (Murfreesboro Road) nearly bisects runway 20C 2C (8,000'). It's a pretty major road (6 lanes through the tunnel). Also, Donelson Pike goes beneath the taxiways to runway 20R 2L.

The intersection just southeast of the airport of Donelson Pike and Murfreesboro Road is the 4th busiest in Nashville with an average of 64,080 cars per day.

• 1 month later...

I think that some people are missing the true engineering marvel that runway 10-28 will be at ATL. It will run almost parallel to I-285 for most of its 9000'. Additionally, planes won't just be crossing an airport road that is perpendicular to a taxiway. Rather mainline planes will be making multiple hard landings and less strenuous take-offs. The repeated landings apply a tremendous amount of downward force to a runway. To have this force absorbed by a 500' bridge (my calculation), no matter how strong, is an engineering marvel.

Archived