• Simpsonville
    • Mauldin
    • Taylors
    • Greer
    • Fountain Inn
    • Berea
    • Other explain

Greer is by far the largest,

BTW i do not consider Easley a suburb of Greenville.

Also, three large Greenville Suburbs that should have been included is the Eastside (between Greenville, Taylors, and Greer), Powdersville, and Piedmont.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have to disagree with you. Easley is much closer to downtown Greenville than Greer or Simpsonville, I'd venture that most Easley residents work in Greenville (or, like many couples I know--one half works in Greenville, and the other half works for Clemson)

I would certainly classify it as a Greenville 'burb.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wouldn't you consider Easley a suburb of Greeenville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not totally sure why, I have always just felt as if Easley was seperate from Greenville. Maybe it comes from living in Greer and going to Greenville all the time. Most of my experience with Easley comes from passing through on my way to Clemson. I guess this is no longer quite the case, but it used to seem like there was a good bit of undeveloped land between greenville and Easely making it feel like it was seperated some how.

I realize it is a suburb of Greenville, but it has just never felt that way to me.

Not totally sure why, I have always just felt as if Easley was seperate from Greenville.  Maybe it comes from living in Greer and going to Greenville all the time.  Most of my experience with Easley comes from passing through on my way to Clemson.  I guess this is no longer quite the case, but it used to seem like there was a good bit of undeveloped land between greenville and Easely making it feel like it was seperated some how.

I realize it is a suburb of Greenville, but it has just never felt that way to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto.

It also seems that people who live in Easley, for whatever reason, don't consider themselves part of Greenville either. People in other Greenville suburbs, like Greer, Mauldin, Simpsonville, etc., seem to identify with Greenville and even tell others that they are from Greenville. People from Easley that I have known, however, always say they are from Easley. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but I have always found it to be interesting. I wonder why that is?

As a result, Easley does not seem nearly as progressive as other Greenville suburbs. If I lived in Easley, I would be claiming Greenville whenever I could!

It also seems that people who live in Easley, for whatever reason, don't consider themselves part of Greenville either.  People in other Greenville suburbs, like Greer, Mauldin, Simpsonville, etc., seem to identify with Greenville and even tell others that they are from Greenville.  People from Easley that I have known, however, always say they are from Easley.  I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but I have always found it to be interesting.  I wonder why that is?

As a result, Easley does not seem nearly as progressive as other Greenville suburbs.  If I lived in Easley, I would be claiming Greenville whenever I could!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets compare then. Easley acutally is more disconnected than Greer or Mauldin. So the justification is there. That said, it isnt any further away than Greer or Mauldin either. Mauldin is separated, but as we know, this is a booming area what with ICAR, Verde, etc. So does this map alter anyone's opinion?

Greenville_suburban_UA.jpg

The fact that it is about the same distance away is why I consider it a suburb.

I consider Easley a suburb of Greenville too, simply based on its proximity to Greenville and the fact that many Easley residents work and spend money in Greenville. Despite that, Easley just doesn't feel like as much of a suburb to me as Greer, Mauldin, or Simpsonville. Does that make sense?

Easley is most definitely a suburb of Greenville. As I've said, the growth there is in very close relation to the growth of Greenville itself.

Two more things to consider...

1. You can actually see the Landmark Building clearly from U.S. 123 - something which cannot be said about any other suburb to my knowledge.

2. Take a look at the tons of traffic pouring onto I-85 in the morning and then back onto 153 in the evening. See how long it takes to get to Easley from I-85 in the evening rush hour. Then tell me what you think.

I happen to know a lot about the residential growth in and around Easley/Powdersville and believe me, it is far more than most people realize.

-_-

One reason people in Easley may not seem as attached to Greenville as the other 'burbs could be because they are actually in a different county altogether, and therefore are required to do all governmental business in Pickens, not Greenville. A few trips out there will definitely make you feel separated. :lol:

One reason people in Easley may not seem as attached to Greenville as the other 'burbs could be because they are actually in a different county altogether, and therefore are required to do all governmental business in Pickens, not Greenville.  A few trips out there will definitely make you feel separated. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of mine who lives in Easley and has to go to Pickens to conduct business from time to time has complained that everyone in Pickens goes one speed: stupid. :rofl:

Forgive me for saying this, but I have to vote for other as in the Golden Strip. Its all one giant suburb to me, I can't really tell a difference in the two, and they have the same characteristics of each other. Thats just my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have a valid point there.

There is clear break between Taylors and Greer. I disagree with all of this though. If you want to get really technical, if it all runs together, then its all Greenville. You have to identify certain areas as separate, even if its by name only.

There is clear break between Taylors and Greer. I disagree with all of this though. If you want to get really technical, if it all runs together, then its all Greenville. You have to identify certain areas as separate, even if its by name only.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really consider it all Greenville. I don't notice a break between Taylors and Greer though, at least not on Wade Hampton Blvd.

Greer is gaining so much land-mass that it really is hard to tell where it begins and ends. I don't know exactly where it stands currently, but for a few years in a row it was the fastest growing town/city in the state (by percentage). At the last census it had more land than Greenville or Spartanburg. Someday we may no longer call it GSP, but rather GSG! :lol:

I really consider it all Greenville. I don't notice a break between Taylors and Greer though, at least not on Wade Hampton Blvd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a very long explanation typed out, and I went to double check on google, and it turns out that Suber Rd is right where I was trying to describe. The area from there west is noticably less "suburban-looking" along 29, and I considered that the break.

Over the weekend I heard from a reliable source, who told me that Palmetto Baptist has bought close to 30 acres on 153 near the Pumpers. That's about 1 mile from the 123/153 interchange. Sounds like they may either build an additional location, or even move to that location. They are land-locked currently. This could be something of interest in the future. ;)

Over the weekend I heard from a reliable source, who told me that Palmetto Baptist has bought close to 30 acres on 153 near the Pumpers.  That's about 1 mile from the 123/153 interchange.  Sounds like they may either build an additional location, or even move to that location.  They are land-locked currently.  This could be something of interest in the future. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I heard, they are buying the land and have no plans to immediately build anytime soon. I guess a hospital could go up there, but Powdersville is within miles of the Universtiry Medical Center and Palmetto Baptist Easley's existing location. I could imagine some medical offices going up there.

Speaking of the Powdersville/Easley area, has anyone heard of Greenville Tech opening up another campus that direction?

That is interesting about Palmetto Health Baptist purchasing land in the Easley/Powdersville area. That seems to be a lot better area than where the hospital currently is, and as someone else mentioned, there isn't really any room to expand at the present location. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years.

I have not heard anything about Greenville Tech opening another location in the Easley area, but that would certainly be a logical expansion area.

That is interesting about Palmetto Health Baptist purchasing land in the Easley/Powdersville area.  That seems to be a lot better area than where the hospital currently is, and as someone else mentioned, there isn't really any room to expand at the present location.  It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can attest to the present location. Not only do they lack room for expansion, the surrounding neighborhoods along Fleetwood Drive is one of Easley's ghettos. It is not safe to drive through there. Should Palmatto Baptist Easley relocate to their newly acquired site, it would be a great place being near the 123/153 interchange.

I have not heard anything about Greenville Tech opening another location in the Easley area, but that would certainly be a logical expansion area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard Tri-County Tech is planning a satellite campus in the Powdersville area or at the former Saco Lowell plant. Either that or Greenville Tech, it would be great to have a technical campus around Easley/Powdersville.

I can attest to the present location.  Not only do they lack room for expansion, the surrounding neighborhoods along Fleetwood Drive is one of Easley's ghettos.  It is not safe to drive through there.  Should Palmatto Baptist Easley relocate to their newly acquired site, it would be a great place being near the 123/153 interchange.

I heard Tri-County Tech is planning a satellite campus in the Powdersville area or at the former Saco Lowell plant.  Either that or Greenville Tech, it would be great to have a technical campus around Easley/Powdersville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard that about Tri-County all well.

Archived